PDA

View Full Version : How to be trans-friendly...

CatchQueen
07-29-2016, 04:32 AM
Having been on Facebook for quite some time now, I get to talk to a lot of people online (mostly folks who add me and then proceed to contact me) and the level of ignorance concerning the very simple etiquette of talking to a trans person is simply mind-boggling. Fortunately, I'm not easy to offend, but sometimes even I happen upon the odd person who simply crosses all lines, with what I imagine is a blissfully ignorant smile on his/her face.
I put together a video addressing the issue of trans-friendliness (it's front and center on my YouTube page - see sig). While the points I covered are rather mundane for someone actually involved in all this, as said above, scores of people haven't got a clue in this respect.

Can you think of anything else in this respect? Something stemming from your own personal journey?
Thx

Laceyveil1987
07-29-2016, 04:39 AM
I've seen people act like they understand until they are face to face. This is when peoples true colors come out. And of course the media never helps

Lana Mae
07-29-2016, 07:14 AM
From what I have seen and this maybe oversimplifying it, there is a great lack of knowledge in the general community. Mostly, things like bathroom bills do not help but it does put the subject out there. I speak up every chance I get I try to educate those around me without outing myself. (closeted crossdresser) The more of us out there the better but society dictates much. I think we all need to do as much as we can. Can not recall names but two new movies and some one writing short essay type stories. I guess little by little we will chip away at the ignorance of people but there will always be those filled with hate. Onward and Upward!!!Hugs Love and Peace Lana Mae

I Am Paula
07-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Congrats on making the video.
As a transwoman, I sometimes see some problems (certainly not often) with cis people not knowing how to deal with us. In general, I find that they see woman, and treat us like women.
While making videos, and facebook memes sounds like a great idea (and keep making them!) I have noticed. I get about ten things on FB per day. Questions not to ask a trans person, How to date a trans person, Introducing your trans girlfriend to your Pastor, What not to wear on a date with a trans person, etc. etc.
I really start to wonder if ANY cis people are watching them, or reading them. The comments are always from other trans folks. Sending ME a video on how to talk to a trans person is a little moot (although I do talk to myself).
I certainly hope cis folks are watching.
Keep up the good work.