PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary

Vikky
08-06-2016, 03:45 AM
Apparently today is the 25th anniversary of something that has change the lives of almost everyone on the planet, and has helped the lives of CD/TG/TS people immensely.

It has enabled us to learn we are not alone with this 'condition' (for want of a better word), to get in touch with like-minded souls, and for the likes of us closeted CDers, do our shopping without the embarrassment of face to face encounters with shop assistants.

On this day 25 years ago the first public server went live and the internet was born.

Three cheers for Sir Tim Berners-Lee.

Vikky

Keely
08-06-2016, 06:54 AM
It sure has helped me. Found out I was not alone or a weirdo:eek:

And now we have this site!

Krisi
08-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Thank you, Al Gore. :brolleyes:

IamWren
08-06-2016, 07:54 AM
:heehee: al gore.
Krissi beat me to the Al Gore gag.

BLUE ORCHID
08-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Hi Vikky:hugs:, It was so hard to find information about this program back in the 50s' & the 60s' I could find
some information at the larger Library's and the adult book stores...:daydreaming:...

CarlaWestin
08-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the information. I would have been about 36 at that time. I think my seminal 'URNA' revelation happened in my 40's with a site called filterpost.

CynthiaD
08-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Technically, today is the 25th anniversary of the World Wide Web, not the internet. But realistically, the internet wasn't all that useful to the general public before the World Wide Web came into existence.

Al Gore sponsored the legislation to create the strictly non-commercial NSF backbone which was the precursor to the modern internet in the USA.

ambigendrous
08-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Ah yes - the good old days of Usenet newsgroups, on a 2400 baud dialup line!

docrobbysherry
08-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I began dressing about 19 years ago. But, stumbled around alone for 10 years dressing in a vacuum. Not knowing anything about what or why I was doing it. Thinking I was the ONLY ONE!:straightface:

Then, I came out here and found so many of u lovely people!:hugs:

Stephanie47
08-06-2016, 12:17 PM
I second Blue Orchid's comment. I was a teenager in the 1960's. With this uncontrollable urge to dress in my mother's clothing I felt like a freak. There was no information readily available for a teenager. Even my local library branch kept the Kinsey Report behind the librarian's desk. Back then cross dressing = gay, although that description was not invented yet.

Yes, thanks for the ability to find out I am not alone. And, thanks for the ability to shop on-line.

Angie G
08-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info Vikky. Now please excuse my I need to go browse some data.:hugs:
Angie

Vickie_CDTV
08-07-2016, 01:25 AM
I found my first trans website over 20 years ago, when I searched on Altavista for "transvestite" (JoAnn Roberts' site, now defunct.) It blows my mind that internet has been in the mainstream of society that long.

I remember seeing ads for dialup transgender bulletin boards back even before that, though I never used one personally.