PDA

View Full Version : Women smile more than men....

curvious
08-11-2016, 07:59 AM
I have noticed that in pics, a smile brings across so much more femininity than that standard look. Women have mastered this. Men seem to be 1,000 years behind. Anyone else notice this?

Kate Simmons
08-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Sure because women share a secret. There are two kinds of people in the world. Women and those who wish they were. :battingeyelashes::)

Krisi
08-11-2016, 08:35 AM
I have notice this and I wonder why. I can't even fake a good smile for photos.

Sarasometimes
08-11-2016, 08:48 AM
This is often a missing part of our image when dressed. I now smile more even in male mode but when dressed I try to concentrate on smiling more. Along these same lines, women start breif conversation with other women around them and share compliments and pleasantries much more than men. I now do this in drab more than before i dressed in public. This may be why they live longer.

Bruce64
08-11-2016, 09:34 AM
I did a survey questionnaire, and I am 95% Woman and my Wife 50%, I smile a lot by the way, when I was younger, they called me Smiley.

Lana Mae
08-11-2016, 10:17 AM
I noticed when I am dressed a smile pops up and just appears on my face!! Well at least a big grin!! LOL Hugs Lana Mae

lainey
08-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Who can turn the world on with her smile?: MTM :fairy1:

Lorileah
08-11-2016, 11:30 AM
It is basic facial communication. A smile is more likely to disarm an aggressor. Men smile less to show they are serious and focused (yeah yeah....misogynistic view but like other social constructs it is learned that way). Think about how men and boys (and now women and girls) are taught to look in sports. Your "game face" as they say. A smile is more welcoming and has the advantage of making the other person less fearful toward you. Sales reps know this. So if you want to be liked...you smile. If you want people to fear you, you don't.

carhill2mn
08-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Oh, yes! One of the things that I advocate for those who are going out in public is to practice the little smile that women give to each other as they pass each other.

Teresa
08-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Curvious,
Every time I go out dressed to my social meetings I can't stop smiling . My wife always says I take a good photograph in drab, yes I do still smile but it's not the same as the contentment I feel when dressed.

Dana44
08-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Curvious, yes a big smile comes out naturally and it goes with attitude. If you have a good attitude and are smiling, you are liked. So when we dress we are smiling for the comfort that we feel.

sometimes_miss
08-11-2016, 02:16 PM
It is basic facial communication. A smile is more likely to disarm an aggressor. Men smile less to show they are serious and focused (yeah yeah....misogynistic view but like other social constructs it is learned that way). Think about how men and boys (and now women and girls) are taught to look in sports. Your "game face" as they say. A smile is more welcoming and has the advantage of making the other person less fearful toward you. Sales reps know this. So if you want to be liked...you smile. If you want people to fear you, you don't.

^This. It's a genetically influenced behavior. As women were not as able to defend themselves (especially if they had children with them), they relied on being seen as non threatening and friendly. It also helped to remain in the good graces of the rest of the tribe should her mate be killed. That way, her children stood a better chance of survival. Hence the genetic predisposition for it.

Pat
08-11-2016, 02:22 PM
I did a survey questionnaire, and I am 95% Woman and my Wife 50%

Well, at least you have science on your side... :lol2:

Alice Torn
08-11-2016, 02:32 PM
I think there are a number of reasons for this. Men are traditionally under a lot of pressure to be masculine, to be a good provider, deal with the harsher things in life. It is hard for me to smile, for a number of reasons, 62 yrs of ridicule form my brothers, rejection by my late dad, mental illness, emotional illness, working on manual labor jobs at lower pay, than most women, therefore not qualified to date or marry. There are hazzards to being male, psychic ones, also. Being a success image, and if not a financial success, then branded LOSER. It is not a man's would like it once was, and if you tell a single woman you are interested in, that you have this thing you like do some of the time, it is usually red flag to her. She may be a casual friend, but not consider you a mate possibility. I have seen so many men in the ashes, sad. I know women have challenges, too, but like the old saying, "girls are sugar and spice, and everything nice." They are positive, and giggly, and smiley much easier than most guys, it jusst comes natural. I envy that I can look a bit like a GG, I have great trouble being smiley, and gabby, and sociable, and giggly.

Lauri K
08-11-2016, 03:33 PM
It's hard to smile when you are wired up on testosterone..........plus all the junk guys are taught / expected to do when they were young like all the stuff Lori said.

Which reminds me I need to start smiling more ..........

AnnieMac
08-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Yeah lainey, we're gonna make it after all.

Richelle423
08-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Yeah I'm not photogenic at all. Even when I try to smile and look happy I always have a mean kisses off look on me.

Donna June
08-12-2016, 12:53 PM
I notice on just about all my Donna pictures I have a big smile. My male photos very rarely show me smiling. Mmmm, I wonder why?

Joanne108
08-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Yes when I am all dressed up I am always smiling!

Marissa V
08-12-2016, 01:03 PM
i dont think there ever was a photo where i had a genuine smile on my face until few years ago. With one example...the moments i came out of a concert / gig. But then again, music is my world :p

Tina_gm
08-12-2016, 04:28 PM
I think it is part genetic part construct. I don't necessarily see smiling as a feminine behavior, just one that does not have an emphasis on strength or seriousness. Boys and men are taught to be rugged, and smiling doesn't really fit that all too well. I also believe though that testosterone tends to be something that makes a person more prone to be aggressive, competitive, territorial perhaps? Not that women do not feel these same things, they do, I think men tend to feel these things on a more intense level. So when feeling these types of feelings, smiling doesn't really play a part with those types of feelings and the activities that would surround those feelings.

AllieBellema
08-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Admittedly, my face has been known to be stuck in grump mode for a long while so I've had to work on my smiling when I do dress up. It has gotten better and I've even practiced a bit by taking random selfies every now and then showing off what I'm doing or where I'm at.

Sarah Louise
08-15-2016, 12:41 PM
In girl mode, I always smile for the camera. It makes me look more girly.

Jill999
08-16-2016, 07:52 PM
I smile more now.

Helena J
08-20-2016, 03:24 AM
I love smiling when I'm dressed up I can't stop smiling in the mirror I think practice helps and the muscles in you're face gets stronger the more u do it maybe and helps think the trick is to find the sweet spot when it comes to smiling not to make it look fake ider smile with showing upper teeth or botum teeth or no teeth it all depends what looks the best and suites u - but ultimately practice makes perfect - now I tend to smile alot more when I'm not dressed noticed that if u smile at women some of them smiles back automatic its almost like magic they will be walking towards u with no expression and then u smile at them and there faces just lights up with a beautiful smile its just amazing to me not all of them do but most - but there's something more they do something with there eye's as we'll can't put my finger on it it's almost like there smiling with there eyes

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think tilting your head to the side may help or just parting your lips slightly try to make the smile look soft not forced like its hearting try not to smile with the uper part of your cheeks I read that somewhere try to keep to lower part of your under eye part flat so it doesn't make to much wrinkles basically and don't crunch your eyes shut try to keep them as open as possible the point should be to keep the eyes big and open show those beautiful eyes if it makes any sense what I'm trying to explain hope it makes sense