PDA

View Full Version : CD or TV?

paranoidfish
08-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Do you consider there to be a difference between a cross dresser and a transvestite? I always thought they were the same thing and have always called myself a transvestite but I'm happy to learn if I'm wrong!

Barbara Jo
08-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Hoping that I do not step on too many toes.....

IMO, they indeed one and the same .
A CD is someone who just can't admit that they are a TV and prefer the more classy moniker, "CD"

Otherwise they would be a TS and neither a TV or CD. :)

Katie01
08-25-2016, 08:52 PM
I might be wrong, but I think of transvestite as an older term. The more modern CD is also gender neutral while TV is not (MTF).

paranoidfish
08-25-2016, 08:54 PM
The more modern CD is also gender neutral while TV is not (MTF).

How is TV not gender neutral?

Alice Torn
08-25-2016, 09:00 PM
I go with either term. Or just letting my other side out.

JenniferMBlack
08-25-2016, 09:02 PM
Hoping that I do not step on too many toes.....

IMO, they indeed one and the same .
A CD is someone who just can't admit that they are a TV and prefer the more classy moniker, "CD"

Otherwise they would be a TS and neither a TV or CD. :)

Barbara correct me if I'm wrong here and to be clear no hurt feelings or toes. Ate you saying there is no CD or TV only TS? Because I'm reading a CD is a confused TS who would be a TS .

As for me I say I'm a cd though see them as the same most put a sexual aspect with TV, as in a fetish. I don't say I am a TS because I have zero desire to transition sexes. I just want to dress l Ike a girl I don't want to become one.

paranoidfish
08-25-2016, 09:16 PM
I see your point wbdavid, just the presence of the term 'trans' in the word can make people jump to incorrect conclusions even if the two words do mean exactly the same thing

Katie01
08-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Is a FTM dresser still considered a transvestite? I don't honestly know.

Kimberly Adams
08-25-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure if there's any difference but personally prefer crossdresser. :)

Kimberly

Majella St Gerard
08-25-2016, 11:05 PM
I prefer crossdresser

Mirya
08-25-2016, 11:40 PM
I've always thought that TV and CD meant the same thing. It's been my understanding that CD became the preferable term, because TV was considered derogatory.

I've since been told that some CDs consider "CD" to be a pejorative term, and they prefer "part-timer". /shrug. The only problem I have with "part-timer" is that it's so vague... but maybe that's the intent.

Barbara Jo
08-26-2016, 12:45 AM
Let's all keep in mind that Trans-vestite" is simply Latin for literally, being "crossed/acrossed -dressed"
So, in the end, we are just discussing semantics and CD and TV both mean exactly the same thing. :)

paranoidfish
08-26-2016, 01:32 AM
I prefer TV if I'm honest, it just seems to have more weight to it :)

Shayna
08-26-2016, 01:36 AM
CD for music, TV for videos :tongueout

Dana44
08-26-2016, 01:43 AM
I think in the older days that TV was used to described a crossdresser and today CD is used more as Transvestite seemed outdated and CD was easier to use. But in reality it is the same thing so if one want to use that term go for it.

paranoidfish
08-26-2016, 01:56 AM
CD for music, TV for videos :tongueout

OK, what do I have to do to be a DVD? :p

Lorileah
08-26-2016, 02:09 AM
another label thread, yay.

You do know there is a sticky up at the top of intros with definitions, right?
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?162497-Some-Common-Trans-Related-Definitions-and-Abbreviations

In any case, this won't last long I'm sure. Let's keep it civil

paranoidfish
08-26-2016, 02:16 AM
Indeed Lorileah, let's. Apologies if I've asked a question I shouldn't have, I was simply curious what people though about the two words.

Lorileah
08-26-2016, 02:23 AM
It wasn't your question. It was some responses. Label threads tend to degrade.

This has been debated on these boards before. It is generally agreed (FWIW) that transvestite is outdated or used more in Europe. Also the word tends to be used more as a derogatory term, especially in the US. In essence they are the same thing.

Kate Simmons
08-26-2016, 05:52 AM
Well I used to be a TV but now I'm a CD. Guess that shows how old I am, right? :battingeyelashes::)

BLUE ORCHID
08-26-2016, 07:17 AM
I'm Just a few years older than Kate I guess that I will agree with Her...:daydreaming:...

Ressie
08-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Transvestite - from Latin trans-, "across, over" and vestitus, "dressed" = TV
In English - Across Dressed or cross dresser. Or for some maybe "over dressed"? j/k = CD

DIANEF
08-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Lorileah, as a European (UK) I can say 'Transvestite, or even TV is being used less and less. Personally I have no issues with whatever designation people want to use, in fact where I'm from people just call us 'trannys', sometimes but usually not in derogatory way.

gailprice
08-26-2016, 10:15 AM
I prefer Crossdresser, however now days its "GENDER FLUID" i use. :confused2:

Pattie
08-26-2016, 10:49 AM
I guess that I am transvestite as I am very comfortable with living my day to day in female clothing. What I do not like is being called tranny or gay I AM not gay, I just have lived this way for so long it seems natural to me.

BillieJoEllen
08-26-2016, 11:42 AM
I don't believe I ever heard the term 'crossdresser' until the mid to late eighties.

Barbara Jo
08-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Barbara correct me if I'm wrong here and to be clear no hurt feelings or toes. Ate you saying there is no CD or TV only TS? Because I'm reading a CD is a confused TS who would be a TS ..........

No , I simply said that if one is TS, they are not a CD / TV. :)

Mia001
08-26-2016, 12:47 PM
They both mean the same. Crossdresser is an English word and Transvestite is a Greek (which means crossdresser).

I say crossdresser.

Cheryl T
08-26-2016, 12:54 PM
There were no CD's when I began to TV so I suppose I'm both.
TV has over the years been more associated with the sexual side of all this and it seems that CD has come to be filling the need for a term that simply describes those who enjoy the dressing aspect.
Personally I have begun to feel more TG than anything else. This is much more to me than just dressing and it's certainly not about sex. I'm not quite at the TS tipping point and doubt I ever will be there, so simply call me Cheryl and let's let others worry about the labels.

Alice Torn
08-26-2016, 12:56 PM
I someone calls me a tranny, and asked, "what type fluid?" Of course, tranny fluid , or ATF, or gender fluid. Of course, Trannies go gender fluid! LOL "They're coming to take me away HAHA, HO HO HEE HEE!"

Teresa
08-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Paranoidfish,
I haven't gone through all the replies, but this is a regular question and the answer remains the same they are the same thing. Transvestite is from the Latin to wear clothes of the opposite gender, Trans = cross, vestite = clothes or vestiges , crossing over of clothes. Also there is no mention of a sexual connection , or fetish.

It could be considered gender neutral because the term can apply to either gender.

I don't have a problem with any of the terms but not so happy with tranny, I prefer to say I come under the TG umbrella but then the public confuse that with TS, the media does very little to correct that issue .

Krisi
08-26-2016, 01:27 PM
I see "transvestite" as a little insulting and derogatory. I prefer "crossdresser" and that's how I refer to myself. I know it's personal, but the question was asked.

Crissy Kay
08-26-2016, 02:34 PM
As a part timer, I prefer crossdresser. I think its more accurate as well.

Gen D
08-26-2016, 03:23 PM
For me (and I guess it is just my view) TV is more about the fetish side - sex related, and CD is the rest - the every day being.
The first label I gave to my self a year ago was TV and, boy, it was a great feeling. By calling my self TV i suddenly felt more free and realize that I am not alone and that there are so many people like me.
later this year I changed my label to CD as I realize it is not only sex and fetish.
I think that the "Label" discussion is important as the label helps to define our self.
and I will end with a song the runs in my head since i started to read this post (and shows my point on TV and fetish...) :
"I'm just a sweet transvestite
From sensational, Transylvania"
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR6wKRWFOoE)

Petra1
08-26-2016, 04:57 PM
Okay, just to clarify, I looked up the word transvestite in the dictionary.

"person with a strong desire to dress in clothing of the opposite sex," 1922, from German Transvestit (1910), coined from Latin trans- "across" (see trans- ) + vestire "to dress, to clothe"

CDTiffany
08-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Well Hello Paraniodfish. With that type of forum name. You could be anyone. "LOL just Kiding"
The label Transvestite is SOOO old and gone. forget about it. The label crossdresser is also starting to go away. Sorry Forum owners.
But, Yes we do use the word CD. But It is 2016. Out here in southern California for the last 10 years. We go by the term T-GIRL !!!!
You know the whole LBTG thing. We are not necessarily lesbian or gay or bisexual. We are the T in lbTg.
That does not label us Tran-Sexuals, It's just the new cool cool word.

XOXO Tiffany Amber Rhoads.

Teresa
08-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Tiffany,
It may be fine and cool to our community, but if your in a DADT situation with your partner or wife cool names don't mean too much they prefer we didn't do it at all.

Gen D,
I don't get where all the extra labels come from, the literal translation doesn't mention a connection with sex or fetishes, and it is a literal translation they do mean the same thing.
I prefer to say I'm TG , have come to terms with GD plus I have a touch of AGP and I'm bi-gender and they all associate with the need to crossdress.

CDTiffany
08-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Hi Teresa, Love your Avatar pix by the way.
I really dont think anybody brought up the "DADT THING"
I have read all of Paraniodfish's reply's in this thread. I really think She was just wondering the difference between the SLANG WORDS. TV or CD.
TV is gone! CD is on its way out. TG is still alive and kicking. "But only if you are trans-gendered"
T-Girls is the new word for us fabulous women that just like to dress, And not go to have any type of surgery.
Maybe it is different in the UK than it is in Southern California.
Teresa, Lets stay on the same page. We are only here to help each other!

XOXO Tiffany Amber Rhoads.

Lori Kurtz
08-26-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm trying to decide which I'd prefer to be called: a television, or a certificate of deposit.

CONSUELO
08-26-2016, 07:17 PM
It wasn't your question. It was some responses. Label threads tend to degrade.

This has been debated on these boards before. It is generally agreed (FWIW) that transvestite is outdated or used more in Europe. Also the word tends to be used more as a derogatory term, especially in the US. In essence they are the same thing.

This is a tired old discussion. Labels, babels!

Barbara Jo
08-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Remember what Shakespeare said about that rose. :)

sometimes_miss
08-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Transvestite was the common term in the 20th century, back when it was also thought that all of us were doing it for a sexual thrill. I think that at some point, somebody wanted to come up with a term that referred to those that did not. I'm not implying that no one who identifies as a crossdresser doesn't, but it was a way to stop at least one misconception. Unfortunately, once we did that, the question arose as to what we were doing it for, and it seemed virtually no one knew that, either.

Krisi
08-27-2016, 08:44 AM
For all those bitching about "labels", labels are a necessary part of language and of life. Without labels, we wouldn't know if a can contained corn or beans without opening it. Without labels, the postman wouldn't know where to deliver a package.

Even this forum labels us. There is a MTF Crossdresser section for MTF crossdressers and there is a Transsexual section for (surprise) transsexuals. (There are other sections as well of course) We are not all the same and the labels clarify this and help us post in the appropriate sections.

barbara gordon
08-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Agreed with those who define cd and tv as the same thing ... The same meaning ---tv being the older latin version of cd--
--just a note though: ( i think )the term transvestite seems to be often used as a derogatory term in the bigger general population . It can be loaded with unfortunate ideas of "sick, pervert, mentally ill , ick, gross etc". Its kind of an old idea from the darker less accepting of personal expression days .
That may be one reason why the term "crossdresser " emerged into use. "
(((I know that its ok to wear anything I want , and to never have any regret or shame in doing so .)))

The term "crossdresser " is only now beginning to be more and more recognised by the general population.
There definately is a less "medical diagnosis" sound to "crossdresser" and its a less degrading sounding term .
I also think that use of the abbreviations of "cd and tv" can be missed or overlooked by those in general population who are not really in tune to hearing the terms in casual conversation ...
Still , I am not afraid or offended to hear or read either term .

Personally I prefer to use the term cd for myself Or "TG with a major in CD"

CONSUELO
08-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Of course labels and definitions are important but in this case the discussion is about two words with the exact same meaning, only one word has acquired some negative connotations while the other one has yet to acquire them.

Lorileah
08-27-2016, 03:51 PM
For all those bitching about "labels", labels are a necessary part of language and of life. Without labels, we wouldn't know if a can contained corn or beans without opening it. Without labels, the postman wouldn't know where to deliver a package.

labels are only important to the person labeling. So you now put all the people here in the canned food section. As the saying goes, "labels are for soup". And labels here tend to divide instead of unite as you proved with the rest of your post. Sometimes opening an unlabeled can can give you a nice surprise.

BTW if you read the rules (you did once right?) the MtF section " All members can post in this section, it is not restricted to just MTF members."

NicoleScott
08-27-2016, 04:37 PM
......two words with the exact same meaning, only one word has acquired some negative connotations while the other one has yet to acquire them.

Oh yeah?

"Honey, I need to tell you something."
"Uh-oh"
"I'm a crossdresser."
"Whew! I was afraid you were going to tell me you're a transvestite."

Gen D
08-27-2016, 04:47 PM
As everything in life, Label has its pros and cons. It does has the ability to divide, but for the other hand - It is also has the ability to define yourself, to give a frame in which you live.
I think everybody need something as a structure. someone once told me that "freedom is being able to tie yourself to what you choose". no one can just be...

Teresa,
I wrote it how i got it. from where - i guess from google and wikipedia - "Transvestic fetishism" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvestic_fetishism):
"Transvestic fetishism is a psychiatric diagnosis applied to those who are thought to have an excessive sexual or erotic interest in cross-dressing; this interest is often expressed in autoerotic behavior. It differs from cross-dressing for entertainment or other purposes that do not involve sexual arousal, and is categorized as a paraphilia in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association.[1] (Sexual arousal in response to donning sex-typical clothing is homeovestism.)"

but as you know, wiki isn't always right....

Teresa
08-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Gen,
That's OK I understand where you're coming from now that title works better using the transvestite term rather than with crossdressing.

I know some don't agree with AGP but I feel I have it to a degree but with the transvestic connotation .

Julie Gaum
08-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Yes it means the same thing BUT there are a few countries in the world where the TV word is still used in very serious regulations of a criminal nature. In other words it is very derogatory in those nations. Elsewhere - whichever grabs you.
Julie
www.neverclimbedhismountain.com

Barbara Jo
08-27-2016, 08:24 PM
FWIW....

i don't think the general public makes any distinction between TV and CD.

To them, we are just a man in a dress no matter what we might call ourselves .

Mayo
08-27-2016, 09:31 PM
As I understand it, Gen D got it right. Transvestism (aka transvestic fetishism) was the psychiatric diagnosis for anyone who felt a compulsion to wear clothes that were only considered appropriate for the opposite gender. It was considered a paraphilia (an abnormal sexual attraction, i.e. a fetish) and therefore a form of mental illness.

Ressie
08-27-2016, 10:24 PM
No, adding the word "fetishism" changes the meaning. One could just as well be referred to a fetish crossdresser.

From wiki - Transvestism (also called transvestitism) is the practice of dressing and acting in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex).

There are actual meanings of words and misunderstood meanings. And of course, definitions change through time and place. Crossdresser just sounds a little nicer to most of us, but not necessarily nicer sounding to some people. Kind of a euphemism huh?

Stephanie47
08-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Well I used to be a TV but now I'm a CD. Guess that shows how old I am, right? :battingeyelashes::)

I'm old also. Back in the day it was "transvestite" or something worse for men who wore women's clothing. Now? It's "cross dresser" or something worse for men who wear women's clothing.

NicoleScott
08-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Ressie is correct. Wearing the clothes make it transvestism. Adding fetishism changes the meaning. There are many kinds (objects, that is) of fetishes. If the object is woman's clothing, it's transvestic fetishism. If there's no sexual drive or response to crossdressing, it's just transvestism, not transvestic fetishism.
Further, transvestic fetishism may or may not be a disorder in need of treatment. It is if it seriously and negatively disrupts a person's "normal" life's activities. I suppose transvestism alone (absent a fetish component) may he a disorder as well, if it disrupts normal life (uncontrolled spending, relationships, can't concentrate on work, etc.).

Lana Mae
09-02-2016, 05:50 PM
I only started last year so I am a CD because i have not been doing it long enough to be a TV!! LOL Sorry, I could not resist!!!! Hugs Lana Mae

Tracii G
09-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Audio disc or flat screen?
Does it really matter in the long run? Just enjoy being you.

julia marie
09-02-2016, 08:44 PM
TV or CD, who cares? Just don't call me late for cocktails. Dress nice, be happy!

TrishaTX
09-02-2016, 08:45 PM
CD...thats me