PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand a little better

Steph_CD_62
08-28-2016, 12:21 PM
I know I am probably one of the last ones to watch The Danish Girl, but I finally watched last night and enjoyed it very much.

First of all I am not even sure it got to my small conservative town, second I don't usually go to the movies I just wait until they are on DVD or a movie channel.

Even though I don't want to transition into a woman, I could see myself when Lilly was first exploring the feeling of women's clothing. I believe the actor did a good job on his reaction when first feeling and wearing women's clothing because that is how I react. I don't think I act more feminine when I am dressed, but my wife says I do just a little.

Back to the reason for my post.
I guess one thing I really noticed was Lilly wife's reaction when Lilly was around. I could see the hurt, but also could tell that she really loved Lilly. I now can understand a little better how my wife might feel when she sees me dressed. I don't dress all the time and even when I do dress I don't wear make-up or wigs and by no means am I passable (and no I don't want to pass).

The next time I am dressed and my wife is around, I will think of the movie and how Lilly's dressing affected her wife.

Laura912
08-28-2016, 01:00 PM
If you do think of how your wife might feel, then, Grasshopper, you have gained wisdom.

CONSUELO
08-28-2016, 01:22 PM
I began to watch it on Netflix streaming video. Your post has given me the incentive to go back and finish it. I did see the part you referenced in which Lilly was wearing a slip beneath her clothes and reacting to the many feelings it caused. I'm surprised that there have not been more posts about that film as it does go to the heart of what we are.

Teresa
08-28-2016, 01:45 PM
I still haven't seen the film yet, I so wanted to as I did the French film called The New Girlfriend , I will have to get DVD copies and watch them at home, possibly alone .

I'm sure most wives feel levels of hurt no matter how accepting they say they are . I posed the question to my wife that if she accepted seeing me dressed at what point would she want me to stop, she replied not at all , I just want the man I married. I understand the answer but it still hurts when part of you is being rejected.

Tracii G
08-28-2016, 02:18 PM
Parts of the film that i have seen are kind of depressing to the point I really don't want to see the whole thing.

sometimes_miss
08-28-2016, 02:34 PM
I still haven't seen the film yet, I so wanted to as I did the French film called The New Girlfriend
Une Nouvelle Amie.avi is available on the net, if you know where to look. If you do not speak French, you will need the .srt subtitle file as well. Google will tell you where to find it. I did not know The Danish Girl was on Netflix. Thanks, Consuelo. Now I have something to watch tonight!

Steph_CD_62
08-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Parts of the film that i have seen are kind of depressing to the point I really don't want to see the whole thing.

Yeah there were some real depressing parts, but on the whole it was a good movie.

JocelynJames
08-28-2016, 07:13 PM
I think I am actually the only person here that hasn't seen it. Don't know that I will.

DIANEF
08-28-2016, 08:04 PM
I havn't seen it either, though I plan to. There's an excellent film called Breakfast on Pluto, starring Cillian Murphy, which has probably the best portrayal of a female by a male actor I have ever seen.

jennifer0918
08-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Check out to Wong Foo,one of my favorite movies,also trantasia.

IamWren
08-29-2016, 12:14 AM
I haven't seen The Danish Girl but really wanted to when it was first released. I saw the trailers and it just looked so poignant and well acted. I had no idea it was streaming on Netflix. Well I did a search and it doesn't appear to be streaming nor is it available on dvd as well. Where did you find it because my search isn't turning it up on netflix at all. :(

Lorileah
08-29-2016, 12:18 AM
Check out to Wong Foo,one of my favorite movies,also trantasia.
not sure you get the point of the OP. To Wong Foo is about drag queens. None of them are married. The OP was talking about how the wife in the Danish girl reacted.

Please people let's not make this about favorite TG films that really have nothing to do with what the OP is discussing

Lori Kurtz
08-29-2016, 09:47 AM
I know I am probably one of the last ones to watch The Danish Girl ...

You're not the last one to see it. Coincidentally, I just saw it last night. Very poignant, as others have said, and as you pointed out, a great reminder of how our dressing up--not to mention full-blown transsexuality--affects our significant others. Yes, the wonderfully acted scenes of the husband having his first experiences of little elements of womanhood resonated intensely with me (a crossdresser), but I found myself even more powerfully sympathizing with the wife, and I also felt a new understanding of what my first wife, who left me when she found out about my crossdressing, had to deal with emotionally. These are sad awarenesses, but I think it's good for me to understand them as part of what my life has been.

Linda E. Woodworth
08-29-2016, 10:36 AM
I've seen both of them.

The point about the impact on the wife in "The Danish Girl" is well taken. It is something that has to be remembered any time we have an impact on our wives or loved ones. I think about how my actions affect my wife not because of any movie but of the things we've discussed in person. Personally I thought very little of this film.

CherylAnne
09-04-2016, 03:12 PM
I read the book years ago, before the movie version. The movie makes a lot more sense if you read the book first.