PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable in male company

CONSUELO
09-02-2016, 12:41 PM
I wonder how many of us feel uncomfortable in groups of males? I find that I do. I was at a party and dinner the other evening and the males all grouped together while the females were at the other end of the deck. I found that not only did I find the conversation in the male group boring but I did not feel at all comfortable there and ended up sitting by the females and listening to their much more interesting conversations.

I experience this feeling frequently. I much prefer female doctors to male ones for instance and while I got along well with my male colleagues at work I found I particularly enjoyed my female colleagues. I abhor groups of loud men especially in places like sports bars.

I am not a "sissy" as the term is used pejoratively. My career has taken me to some very scary and dangerous places and I have dealt with those challenges successfully. I don't mind physical danger and I have had to fly helicopters into gnarly places and camp out and reconnoitre active and erupting volcanoes. Yet loud boring and excessively masculine groups just repel me.

What do others feel?

EllieMayxxx
09-02-2016, 12:45 PM
I agree but I just feel uncomfortable with anyone, i get anxious and my palms get clammy so i end up sitting on my own or just not engage with the conversations.

DIANEF
09-02-2016, 12:56 PM
I know how you feel. I worked in a store with almost all female staff and loved it. I then moved to a job at my local airport, and while I liked the work I hated the macho male culture that pervaded the place. I conspired to leave but now another job looms which I'm hoping will be better, but I have my doubts. Its well paid and of course everyone thinks its great. We'll see how long I last there.

Teresa
09-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Consuelo,
I know how you feel, both my brother in laws are farmers and most of their friends. Recently one of them invited us to Sunday lunch , I do try and brush up on agricultural topics so I can make a contribution to the conversation but try as I might they just wouldn't let me in. I gravitated to to women but one or two know about my CDing so they wouldn't let me in either , I will say my brother in law knows a good bottle of red wine so I gravitated to that in the end and spent the rest of the afternoon roasting my feet by the log fire in happy oblivion !

On the way back home my wife said I'd been quiet most of the afternoon , I replied that you don't have to talk that loud when you converse with yourself !!

I do try and include people in most conversations because I know the feeling of being made uncomfortable by being excluded.

On the whole I'm comfortable in either gender's company if they wish to converse openly , it's often surprising the lives some people have lived and you only find out by being polite to them and bring them into a conversation.

NewBrendaLee
09-02-2016, 01:19 PM
I am the same way ,I prefer female company over male company. I remember growing up that I always seem to prefer playing with the girls over boys , dolls and playing house where more fun.

Ineke Vashon
09-02-2016, 01:34 PM
A few years ago I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner in a private home. About a dozen or so people attended. The dinner, in mixed company, was nice. Conversations flowed between male and female subjects. The minute dinner was over the men got up and left the room. Since I live alone, do my own dishes, enjoy female company, I automatically starting picking up dishes and silverware. They were gently taken from me by the hostess who said: "Thanks. The men are downstairs." Hint. I reluctantly went downstairs, huge TV, football already in progress, "knowledgeable" comments flowed, I was handed a beer. I don't follow football, the macho culture turns me off, I'm not a beer drinker, so went back upstairs, saw the women enjoying each other's company, and wound up reading a magazine sitting by myself on a stairway. Eventually, I went home.

As a CDer, I sometimes feel left in the middle of no-man's-land. Or is that No-'person's' land?:eek:

Ineke

Tina_gm
09-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Depending on the all male groups, yes sometimes I feel uncomfortable and sometimes a feeling almost of intimidation. I can feel this way with female company as well, although much less often.

Vikky
09-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Hi Consuelo

I can relate to what you say. I have always felt a bit of an outsider in mens groups. All the talk was football, rugby and cars (but never driven one in earnest). I have always followed my own line, have no interest in field sports, but been an active motorsports enthusiast and competitor – sometimes on very adventurous trips. Many men can’t relate to that.

Although in recent years I have been part of some mens groups in many social gatherings I have gravitated to the womens groups and generally they have been very receptive. Nobody, other than my SO, knows about my CDing, and I often wish I could talk about it to them.

Vikky

sometimes_miss
09-02-2016, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't call it feeling uncomfortable, but rather a guarded feeling about disclosing any information. I've been taken advantage of by many males over the years, so I have a natural feeling of suspician whenever we're discussing anything. Far too many men love to get the chance to cheat another, as well as gloat about how they 'put one over' on another person. I know it comes from the natural competitiveness, but I still don't like it. Deals can be made that are fair to both sides. Yet, that is unfortunately the exception to the rule.

Nadine Spirit
09-02-2016, 07:51 PM
I am equally at home in either group. I will chat up a group of women, as well as men.

If asked about football, I will admit, I generally don't like it, and will start talking about MMA. If handed a beer, I will reject it, and pull out a bottle of tequila and start pouring shots.

Yes I think I exist in the middle of the gender spectrum, which gives me the unique advantage of finding comfort with either group. Sure there are aspects of both groups that I don't fit in with. So I feel about the same with either group, a little accepted and a little rejected.

Tracii G
09-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I used to feel that way but these days I can hang with either crowd.
Charlotte I know a few people that have that issue but in all honesty its their fear of other people.
I have one lady friend that said she was a nerd and used that as an excuse as to why she couldn't meet a guy. It was her fear that a guy might actually like her.
I worked on her for 6 months and made her go shopping with me and I bugged her to hang out just as friends.
She eventually talked to a guy she worked with and they have been dating for quite a while and very happy.
She calls me quite frequently and thanks me for helping her to open up and quit making excuses why she can't do things.
We all have worth and have a special unique personality so play up your good points and don't be afraid to be yourself around other people.

Alice_2014_B
09-02-2016, 08:12 PM
I generally feel comfortable in any group, whether guys, girls or mixed.
:)

Jenniferathome
09-02-2016, 08:12 PM
I wonder how many of us feel uncomfortable in groups of males? ...What do others feel?

Nope, not me. I'm a dude. I'd hang with the other dudes over the women. I can hang with the gals but that's not my sweet spot.

Karen RHT
09-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Yup, I'm another dude who hangs with the dudes. Certainly don't feel out of place in mixed company or if I find myself alone with the gals. Got pleasantly surprised the odd time that happened if you know what I mean. :devil:

Do draw the line if the conversation with the guys turns too sexist.

Karen

lingerieLiz
09-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm happy talking to either groups. I can go to the sports bar for beer with the guys or go afternoon shopping and martinis with the girls.

MissTee
09-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Depends on the group of guys or girls. I can talk hunting, fishing, guns, decorating, gardening, etc. Don't care for sports. Don't care to sit with gossip groups either.

Tracii G
09-02-2016, 09:54 PM
If guys get nasty or start talking about their wives or GF's in a bad light. I get up and move to another spot.

GBJoker
09-02-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm the opposite. Give me a group of guys, and I'll eventually start talking to them. A group of chicks? Never. I go out of my way to fade in the background so I can escape.

ambigendrous
09-02-2016, 10:48 PM
I think I'm somewhere in the spectrum - I'm not a big sports fan. The only sport I really care about is hockey, and I played for years, but I'm more a fan of the game rather than a fan of a team. I have a hard time remembering who plays for who, but I'm fairly knowledgeable on the rules, history, etc. Similarly I don't watch football, baseball, basketball, or any other sport, but I am generally familiar with the rules of each, and can hold up my end of a conversation regarding any of the sports, so long as I don't have to know who plays where, who won or lost the last game, etc. When we go to parties I can hang with either the men or women, and often bounce between them. I must admit that I am much more at ease in the company of women, and generally they're much better looking!

Ineke Vashon
09-02-2016, 11:18 PM
They usually smell nicer, too.:battingeyelashes:

Ineke

Tania75
09-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Get any group of males together, and add a bit of alcohol, and it ends up being all macho talk about male sports, women (and how wrong they are), and any conversation about men knowing it all and women just don't understand. It's boring, and the same conversation seems to happen time after time.
If you could be a fly on the wall and watch how, at any function, a group of couples end up being a group of males and a group of females discussing the problems with the other group, it would be something to laugh at.

Anne K
09-02-2016, 11:33 PM
I have been saying EXACTLY the same thing for years all my life!

Hell on Heels
09-03-2016, 12:06 AM
Hell-o Consuelo,
It's not an uncomfortable feeling, but more of a disinterested one.
For me a conversation is just that, people talking. If the the women
are talking about something that interests me, I'm right there with them.
Same with the guys.
Nadine, please remind me to pack some Tequila!
Ineke, that's is soooo true about the aromas, there's some guys out there
that just can't detect their own BO? PU ! That'll get me sittin' with the women every time !
Much Love,
Kristyn

docrobbysherry
09-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Scintilating conversation is hard to find in larger groups. Anything over 3 or 4 and I'm usually bored silly be either gender in no time.

Even one on one I've ended up chatting with someone of either gender at a social function thinking about chewing my own arm off-----:doh:

Guess whom I never seem to find boring? In groups, large or small, and one on one? DRESSERS!
U r ALL remarkable people!:hugs:

If u weren't so interesting and such good company? I'd never go out in vanilla land dressed ever again!:eek:

Kiwi Primrose
09-03-2016, 04:56 AM
My close friends are women and I am not comfortable in a group of "blokes", and find I have very little interests that I will share with men.
In my early life I played rugby and enjoyed the game but never went to after-match gatherings to drink beer and talk sport, etc.
My wife and I have always refused to be separated into the "girls" upstairs, "boys" in the basement scenario; we will pick where we both want to be or go home.

sonialexis
09-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Growing up I had little friends and spent more time with aunts, cousin sisters, mom mostly women. Now I can hold my own with a group of boys and I enjoy it at times like I can be with women. Though the type that you described 'loud and all', yes there I get uncomfortable and very bored. Regardless I prefer smaller crowds a one on one could be a man or a woman.

Lana Mae
09-03-2016, 08:28 AM
As others have said, not so much uncomfortable as bored!! I know about sports but not current specific info!! When in high school, I was called the ladies' man because I could move between both groups with out a problem. (probably because I did not see females as objects or conquests) I work primarily with females so naturally I am most comfortable with them even when their conversations turn to SEX!! LOL I tend to be conversationally fluid but prefer females!! Hugs Lana Mae

Pat
09-03-2016, 08:38 AM
I hang out with the interesting people. Doesn't matter what else they are. ;) That said, I'm an introvert and don't seek out the company of people very much, but when I do or when it's thrust upon me I can manage. If the conversation isn't interesting I wander off or start a better one.

Taylor186
09-03-2016, 08:39 AM
I have a low tolerance for small talk around either gender and I absolutely walk away when the topic turns to popular American sports: college or pro, major or minor. Given this I tend to be happier in conversation with women but as the party wears on I'm generally one of the first to go. It's all too boring/tiring. A few years back I was invited to join a local, respected men's group that met once a month. The guys were nice enough individually but I turned them down flatly. I had no interest whatsoever in spending an evening with 10 or 15 guys. I'd rather read a book.

alwayshave
09-03-2016, 09:28 AM
I have a large group of male friends and I enjoy spending time with them. That being said I equally enjoy the company of women

Kelli Jo-ann
09-03-2016, 03:44 PM
I always wind up at the girls table. they say I'm so easy to talk to.

Lauri K
09-03-2016, 04:16 PM
I always wind up at the girls table

I am in the same boat as Kelly, in fact the guy's are usually glad to see me gone on my way because I am only interested in girly stuff, I could care a less about sports.

A friend once told me men aren't all that bad but I am still not convinced..............they just look like hairy testosterone charged animals to me, and mind you many are not that well groomed...eeww

JeanTG
09-04-2016, 01:06 PM
I too prefer the company of women. Occasionally men, one or two good friends at a time, but never men in a group. In general though I prefer solitude, or the company of my wife.

Micki_Finn
09-04-2016, 01:10 PM
I too prefer the company of women but am not uncomfortable around men.

Krisi
09-04-2016, 01:14 PM
For the most part, I am not uncomfortable in groups of men, women or mixed groups. I am a male and mostly worked with males. Towards the end of my career I worked with both males and females, possibly more females.

Obviously I know the difference, but I think of people more as "people" than male or female.

I am uncomfortable in groups of people who have been drinking to the point that they become loud and obnoxious. I usually excuse myself and go elsewhere.

Karine
09-04-2016, 01:57 PM
No. First of all because I am a dude and so, excepted crossdressing my hobbies are "tradionnal" men's things.
But most importantly, I am comfortable with men and women. I like and can discuss about anything: sports, politics, economy, whatever. The matter is not men or women or subject, but more the people. I prefer to talk about a subject I don't especially like or have interest to (I can learn new stuff) with an open-minded and smart person than discuss with an narrow-minded and mean person.

ellbee
09-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Too many variables... Who the men are, who the women are, what the topics are, what kind of mood I'm in, etc.

Generally speaking, I can swing both ways, socially.

And both can certainly have their unique pros & cons!

But that's in guy mode.

All dolled-up, I feel waaaay more comfortable around GG's & gay men (whether or not they're dressed up, too).

*Most* hetero guys who are in drab are a different story, ha! And I actually don't have a ton of real-world experience with hetero/bi CD's who are presenting as female.

Alice Torn
09-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Taylor, I was in a mens speech club for 12 years. I found it interesting. i was not dressing back then, but enjoyed giving speeches. They had ladies nights, once in a while, and those were more fun. i had a date once in a while. I have trouble being around anfry men. The guy who runs a wrecking yard, where i buy used tires, batteries, and other parts, is hit and miss. Sometimes i go there and he is fine. Other times he is mean and shouting at me. One more time shouting at me like i am not wanted there, and i simply will leave, and he will have lost a customer. Angry men i cannot take, unless they are willing to vent and talk.

Mayo
09-04-2016, 07:40 PM
With the exception of a few close male friends, I've generally preferred the company of women. I couldn't care less about organized sports so, unless the conversation at a party is fairly intellectual, I'll tend to congregate with the ladies.

BethanyCross
09-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I had my makeup done recently at a beauty college. Two female students were working on me when an advanced male student came by and the girls started asking his opinion. Suddenly HE was doing my lips! I was uncomfortable to say the least. He was totally cool and accepting of a guy en femme, however. It was a great learning experience for me that guys can accept tg's too!

Amelie
09-04-2016, 08:15 PM
I don't like being with groups of people. I'd rather be with just one man. No desire to be with or talk to any woman. Nowadays I am all alone.

krissy
09-04-2016, 11:58 PM
I worked on cars for 38 years hated pretending all the time back then i would under dress i liked working with women more than guys

Vicky_Scot
09-05-2016, 04:34 AM
Never have and never will feel comfortable in male company especially in a large number. I just cannot relate to them as I am not a man's man. I have always been drawn to female company which is ok with me.

Terrafora
09-05-2016, 04:53 AM
I usually try to get on with everyone but other than my small number of friends I honestly feel a little uncomfortable in all honesty.
That being said I feel its important to realise that not all men who aren't into CD are jerks, just don't think about this kind of thing often and are probably just taken off guard when it comes up.

I imagine my friends would be surprised and taken back for a moment if I were to come out to them about this but I don't think opinions would change much if at all. You just have to take people individually as you might bump into someone who really also likes it.

Jillian Faith
09-05-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm comfortable is social situation interacting with either men, women or mixed groups. What makes me uncomfortable is shopping enfemme and being approached by a male sales associate like in a shoe department.

Maria Blackwood
09-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Was this in the US? Male culture here is terrible. Not interested in sports? Sissy. Actually have knowledge beyond vapid pop culture topics? Nerd. Know anything technical? Geek. And so on.

So you go explore nerd and geek culture, and it's even worse. Is that a iPhone? Cultist. You liked that game/movie/other-highly-subjective thing? Moron. And so on. Dunning-Kreuger everywhere.

I'd say it's not really a CD thing. I know there's wildly worse situations out there in the world, but that doesn't make it better.

stephNE
09-09-2016, 10:08 AM
I agree too. I much prefer the company of women.
When we go to a party, at first I try to hang with the guys, but soon find my self sitting with my wife in the "women's circle". Especially if they are discussion jewelry or nail polish, etc. Some times it's very hard to be quite not add to the conversation with "yesterday I found a....".

taylormercedes
09-13-2016, 12:21 AM
As long as the people are good company, I'm happy with talking with whomever.

Savannah_Skye
09-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Yes, I feel the same. I can hold up my end of a conversation with males but tend to prefer female groups. I've been that way most of life.

DeniseNJ
09-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Personally for me I feel less threatened being around a group of women than guys. I think more on the lines of a woman but I also can carry good conversations around guys. It is a preference and a comfort zone for me to share thoughts with females. Sometimes I know more about women than most guys should..

Nikkilovesdresses
09-14-2016, 01:44 PM
I couldn't agree more, Consuelo. Nothing worse than a testosterone-laden guy or guys strutting their stuff. I'm totally attracted to women, but I cringe when men start leering and squawking at a pretty girl- it makes me want to puke. I loathe sports in all forms, so that's another huge imbalance for me. I don't watch TV, don't have a job- basically I'm useless to other men!

Now give me a group of women talking about clothes designers or interior decoration and I can't wait to join in :)