PDA

View Full Version : Soooo close

susancheerleader
09-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Normally I order clothes online from Amazon or eBay. They are rather "discreet" when shipping things. Be it panties or a new wrench. Its pretty much the same package.
Anyway. I was on JC Penny this morning looking at blouses and a really nice "little black dress" I liked. I didn't want to wait for shipping so chose pick up at store. I thought I would have enough nerve to go pick it up. I probably would have but when I got to the store for pick up I noticed the counter had two twenty something women tending it. I don't know why but they just looked like the type that would give me a hard time buying women's stuff. So I left and came home empty handed. I went back online to change the order from a pick up. To having it shipped to me.
I thought I'd be able to have guts to go out and get my own stuff. I was wrong.

Maria 60
09-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Don't feel bad I'm just as bad. Sometimes I walk through the ladies department looking for my wife and it feels like all eyes are on me. My wife once dared me to go into the ladies department and buy a pair of pantyhose, I couldn't do it, I don't know if it was my mother and grandmother when I was younger. My friend does all the cloths shopping for his family, I see him in Walmart buying Bra's and women cloths for his daughters and when I see him there he's always stricking up conversations with other women and I don't know how he does it. My wife tells me women smell my guilt.

Helen_Highwater
09-05-2016, 07:07 PM
It can be daunting going into a store to pick a femme item up. First time I did it I said to myself, " OK, this isn't for you, the SO has sent me to get it as she's too busy or it's because it's on my way home from work or any other excuse I could hold in my mind". So I presented myself as being sent on an errand, unsure of what it was I was picking up, just the consignment number to go on, in fact the stereo typical put upon bored husband who had better places to be.

So just be confident, act like there's no reason you shouldn't be doing what you're doing, which there isn't!, and carry on.

Teresa
09-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Susan,
There's always a next time, just got to do it the once and that's it you won't look back !

The times I've felt like that in different circumstances, I kept hesitating at shopping in charity shops you just don't get the same privacy as retail shops , but once over that I just can't stay away the stuff is so good at ridiculous prices, most are manned by volunteers so they don't have any problems at all with a guy looking through the women's racks.

Micki_Finn
09-05-2016, 07:39 PM
As someone with 20 years in retail I can tell you with 99% accuracy the clerks/sales persons/associate don't care that you're purchasing a women's article. Men buy women's items and vice versa ALL the time. If the sales person isn't seeing you try on women's garments, you being a cross dresser won't even cross their mind. Especially in a pick-up kind of situation like you described, my thought would be "is wife picked something out and made him get it for her." In general ladies like us really shouldn't be a source of anxiety. If you're shopping dressed or obviously picking things out for yourself, then you might get a snicker or sideways look, but generally sales associates have sales goals/quotas and are more concerned with how much you're spending than what you're buying.

*Pro-tip: retail clerks get so many jerks and pain-in-the-butt customers that if you're nice and polite, you could tell me your buying an axe to chop up my mother and I'd give you great service with a smile.

susancheerleader
09-05-2016, 07:39 PM
It all was under my male name. Credit card, order name, ect. So it was obvious it was for me. I chickened out.

Taylor186
09-05-2016, 08:00 PM
I think not so obvious. I buy women's items for my wife all the time and have no problems when picking them up. I also pick out and buy women's items for myself and have no problem when checking out. I'll even try things on at the big box retailers in my area: Target, K-Mart and Wal-Mart. I've never had a problem or even an odd look. The only mental problem I would have is if a friend was manning the changing room or sales counter. But thankfully that has never happened. Definite anxiety the first time I did it 30 years ago but I don't think twice about it today.

Toni in nz
09-05-2016, 08:01 PM
I purchased a pair of breast forms online just recently and decided to pick up as it was on the way home from work at a private house it was the first time for me to pick up, obviously they where for myself (nearly chickened out) but with reading stories from this forum gave me the courage to just do it, I got to the house and a lady a cpl of yrs younger than i answered the door she invited me in and showed me the forms I purchased and suggested I get the next size up due to my frame size.
She made me feel comftable by explaining about the different types and sizes anyway my point is whether it is in a male name or not it doesn't matter sales people are there to help and most of them don't care if the items for you or your wife.

MelanieAnne
09-05-2016, 08:07 PM
I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from Penneys, and it comes in a plain package. Nothing to give away what's inside. I ordered a dress from Walmart for store pickup and wouldn't do it again. The lady went in the back and came back with my package, and then opened it right in front of me, to make sure it was right. I just looked at it and remarked that my wife ordered it. Lots of women order stuff on their husbands credit cards.

Cassiek
09-05-2016, 08:08 PM
I know how you feel. My first in person purchase was a few makeup items blush pressed powder and lipstick. It was during a shopping trip to grocery store. I added items with detailed description to my grocery list then used self checkout. With just that little purchase my heart was pounding away. Second purchase was pantyhose at pharmacy. I needed a pair of nude hose I pulled up my panties (cute white thong) walked to display picked out what I wanted and took to regular cashier. I felt sooo good after that purchase got home and threw an outfit together to celebrate my accomplishment. Everything else I've ever purchased was online and diverted to being picked up at shipping facility.

Alice_2014_B
09-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Just wear a ring that resembles a wedding band; that generally helps my nerves.
The ring essentially says everything and clears out all other assumptions.
:)

ellbee
09-05-2016, 08:13 PM
No big deal, really.

In the past I probably had the biggest issue with buying stuff in-person like heels, panties, bras or make-up.

Blouse? Dress? Bah.

No biggie.

But honestly? Cashiers/SA's really don't care, especially women. Those who have been working there for at least a week have probably already seen it all. ;)

Lana Mae
09-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Many women buy things with their husband's credit card!! My wife used to do it all the time!! Just do it!! Once you do it the first time then you will just do it without thinking about it!!! I just bought a package of pantyhose at Walmart and went through the regular checkout!! You can do it!! Try to forget what it is you are getting!! Maybe think it is a wrench or something masculine and just get it!!! Best wishes!! Hugs Lana Mae

Brianna Robyn
09-05-2016, 08:22 PM
I pick up some online ordered items in store also and never had a problem. Even the time the male clerk held up the dress slip on the hanger and said "Does this look like your order?" I smiled and said yes and life went on. As the other posts have said, no one really cares what you are doing. It seems like a big deal to us in the moment, but like everything else, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

susancheerleader
09-05-2016, 08:56 PM
I admire you who have gone into a store and picked up a dress or whatever. I hoped I could but I chickened out at the last minute.
I know I will get there. I just need to have confidence and just do it.
But not today.
I will, that is my goal.

Rachael Leigh
09-05-2016, 09:20 PM
To me that is the joy of the buy, going into the store to buy it or trying it on, either in male mode or girl mode. From my experience nobody really notices or cares as long as you smile and are polite it's not a big deal

Stephanie47
09-05-2016, 09:27 PM
I've used "Ship to Store" with JC Penny and Sears. There's never been any problem or unprofessional comments or behavior. This year I made three different trips to pickup dresses I ordered. The last pickup was for a beautiful sweater dress marked down and with coupons for $17. The young female associate said something to the effect of "Wow!" was a deal. I also picked up tights from JC Penny. No problem. At Sears I had ordered for pickup a long maxi dress that was brought out to me on a hanger and covered only in a poly bag. The male associate said nothing. Every time it was strictly business. Next time if you have any apprehension about other customers just hang back and wait for them to leave.

nvlady
09-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Many years ago I had to go to a store to buy a bra for my (at the time) wife. I was very comfortable doing so because I knew I was buying it for her. Had I been buying the same size, style, etc. for myself I would have been as red as a ripe tomato.
It's all in your mind.

susancheerleader
09-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Absolutely it was all in my head that this transaction would go badly. If I had seen either males or even older females, I "MIGHT" have done it. But there was something I felt from the young 20 something girls that pushed me off.

JenniferMBlack
09-05-2016, 09:50 PM
It took me years to actually go into a store and buy something. Once I finally did it was no big deal. I now go and buy girl things all the time at many different places.

ellbee
09-05-2016, 09:51 PM
"the young 20 something girls"

Honestly? Odds are they would be totally cool with it. They're just there to do their job, and you're only one customer of many during their shift that day.

No need to be all scared, or start sweating, or turn bright red, or wear sunglasses, or be all sketchy & jittery, or make up some BS story how it's for your GF.

It's okay & natural to be a *little* nervous, and that's even part of the rush. But you're just picking up a couple items, that's it -- they're not going to force you to try it on in front of the whole store or anything, ha! :)

susancheerleader
09-05-2016, 09:56 PM
True that. I just have to get over the nervousness.

Tracii G
09-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Why does it scare you? What can they possibly do to you for picking it up?
Are you so worried some one you don't know will think you are a CDer?
Are you worried the two 20 somethings will think you are gay?
Are you a homophobe?
I can see being scared of things that can cause physical harm but buying clothing ? Come on really.

Alice Torn
09-05-2016, 10:19 PM
I was very nervous, but, i finally have taken dresses to cleaners for alterations, a number of times, and they pretty much knew, it was for me. i even told one young lady i dress up.

Gillian Gigs
09-05-2016, 11:39 PM
As someone with 20 years in retail I can tell you with 99% accuracy the clerks/sales persons/associate don't care that you're purchasing a women's article. ..

Well I might go quite as far as helping out an axe murder, but being nice and polite goes a long way when helping customers. Thirty seconds after a customer leaves the sales counter you remember nothing, as you are usually moving on to the next customer. You know that you are a CDer but they don't!

susancheerleader
09-08-2016, 08:55 PM
What happened to the last few pages of this thread?

Near the end I said I would go Monday to pick up the dress at JC Penny where they hold and online order for two weeks. Monday is the next day I have time to go. It's an hour drive one way so....

ellbee
09-08-2016, 09:28 PM
When they rolled back the forum's software upgrade, anything that was posted during the time that it was up, simply poofed into thin air forever. :)

DIANEF
09-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Feeling very pleased with myself today! Dropped my SO off at work and bought myself two new wigs (a strawberry blonde mid lengh and a long almost black one).Walked into the store, pointed, said how much?. SA didn't bat an eyelid, asked if I was going somewhere special, I just said 'a party'. Normally I wouldn't have dreamed of doing such a thing, but reading the stories on here has given me the added confidence to go out do it. Someone said (Laura..?) its all about your state of mind, it really is. Oh, got the black one on right now, love it!

susancheerleader
09-09-2016, 04:32 PM
JC Penny called this morning about picking up the dress. I told them I will get it Monday. That just said that's okay., Yhey wanted to make sure I still wanted it. Beyond that, nothing was said about it at all.

ellbee
09-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Sounds like they wanted confirmation, so all the reporters & live news cameras could be in place ahead of time. :laughing: ;)

susancheerleader
09-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Probably:)

sometimes_miss
09-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Hey, halloween's coming. If you have the figure for it (or maybe even if you don't), go shopping as Dr. Frank-N-Furter of rocky horror picture show. Just tell 'em you wanted something a 'little more dressy'. Here's a pic for anyone who isn't familiar with the show: 265940

lingerieLiz
09-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Relax, I know it is easy to say but true. Both my wife and I buy things under my name. I pick up stuff and return stuff most of the time. We shop together and I pay because it takes her forever to get her card out. I bought a couple pairs of panties a while back for store pickup. I also took back a dress. The sales clerk must have been inexperienced because she tried to be secretive about the transactions. I couldn't care less.

women buy men's stuff all the time.

susancheerleader
09-10-2016, 07:29 AM
I'm going to do it.
I have to be sure I am in one of my "I don't give a crap" frame of mind I sometimes get into. :)

DIANEF
09-10-2016, 08:59 AM
Believe me Susan, if I can do it anyone can. Deep breath, steady nerve, 'I want that', what's the worst that could happen. After yesterday I can't wait to do it again!

susancheerleader
09-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Thanks. I will post a picture when I get it. So you guys believe I really got the nerve to do it

susancheerleader
09-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Well I went and picked it up!!! I went in with an I don't care what people think. So I go the counter and tell I have a pick up.
The lady (60ish) was nice and went to get the item. It was in a bag so she opened it up to make sure it was what I ordered. She held up the dress and chuckled. She asked if it was what I ordered and I confidently said yes. She said okay. Don't ask don't tell.
It was a bit embarrassing but in the end, I got the dress!

ellbee
09-12-2016, 12:05 PM
We know -- just watched it all live on the national news! ;)

But seriously, congrats! We knew you could do it. Enjoy your new dress! :thumbsup:

Dana44
09-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Get a stiff upper lip and go and get the package. That shroud not be any problem and the two twenty year old's are probably more accepting than a 65 year old.

susancheerleader
09-12-2016, 12:15 PM
@ Dana.

I DID! :)

Pumped
09-12-2016, 12:52 PM
I have bought just about anything you can imagine in retail stores, shoes, bras, panties, dresses and more, all dressed in drab with a beard and mustache. Some times I get nervous, sometimes I have zero issues and just run with it. One day while buying a bright pink bra and panty set the check out looked up at me and with a big friendly smile said they would look good on me, I told her that is why I bought them! I am not certain the she was just teasing me, or serious, and I am sure she was probably wondering too.

I get more freaked out about worrying about running into a friend of mine or my wife and trying to explain my purchases. It did happen once, had my hands full of sexy, lacy bits and was headed for the check out. I saw a relative before they saw me, ditched my intended purchases behind a display and walked over to talk to them for a minute and bailed out of there!

DIANEF
09-12-2016, 01:35 PM
ha ha , well done Susan!! no stopping you now!

susancheerleader
09-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Damn.
I don't know how to post a pic with mobile.

MelanieAnne
09-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Sounds like they wanted confirmation, so all the reporters & live news cameras could be in place ahead of time.

"SECURITY"! Crossdresser on register 4! :devil:

ellbee
09-12-2016, 08:30 PM
The worst is when those loud alarms start sounding & all those lights start flashing everywhere.

So embarrassing... :(

Michelle_G
09-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Clothing pick-up; my wife/ girlfriend wanted me to pick up something she ordered. She used my credit card and put the order in my name. Shopping in a store; Sometimes I write out a shopping list. I write my sizes on there too in case a sales person wants to help. You are shopping for your wife/girlfriend's birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc. Sometimes I make a notepad entry on my phone. If you get nervous, keep the list/ phone out and look like a confused husband. I don't do this so much anymore but it helped me reach my comfort zone.

Krisi
09-13-2016, 06:58 AM
My wife and I were shopping at JC Penny pretty late one evening and I picked out a maxi skirt I wanted. We went to the checkout where a middle aged man was at the register. My wife handed him the skirt and he held it up to his waist and said "Nope, it's too long for me." My wife said "It won't be if you wear heels." To which the man replied "I do have a pair of heels that would probably work."

Well a long conversation ensued and it turns out he is a former musician and entertainer and these were men's dress boots with heels (like cowboy boots but shorter).

susancheerleader
09-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Fwiw:
I'm glad I finally went and got the dress.
I LOVE IT! :)

Ozark
09-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Reading these posts reminds me of a shopping trip I made to Sears several years ago....

I posted this August 2013..... I enjoyed the exchange.

Tuesday I went to the VF outlet store in Branson.

I bought three pair of Olga Secret Hug briefs, a set of VF coloratura pajamas and a matching gown. Oh yeah, three pair of low cut socks and three pair of regular socks (men's)

At the checkout the sales clerk asked if I was a member of the VF club, I was and I gave her my phone number. "I hope these aren't for you," She said, "Do you wear these?" I replied, "Not all at once."
She then said something to the effect "Don't worry, I'm not judging you, at least not to your face".

Then my phone rang and it was a call I needed to take so I just ignored the sales clerk and paid with my credit card.

Years ago I would have been embarrassed or anxious. Now, I just blew it off as a poor attempt at humor.

Last year, at Sear's, This happened on Valentine's day:

This afternoon I went down to the cabin to check on the boat, move a tv down there and generally check on the place since I hadn't been down there since before Thanksgiving. It was all secure.

I headed over to Branson to the VF store but I got there about 6:30 and it was closed.

So I went over to the Tangier outlet mall (can you tell I'm in Branson) to the Jockey Store. I bought eight pair of Jockey for Her pants on sale for 2.99 plus a 14% Valentine's day discount. I got french cuts and extended briefs in every color the store had. The woman asked me if I knew about their 100% satisfaction guarantee....if SHE wasn't satisfied, bring them back for a total refund. I told her that I know what I liked and I am sure these panties will be satisfactory.

But I wasn't done. I headed back to Springfield and stopped by Dillard's in the mall and bought 5 pair of Cabernet full cut brief panties in black, red, white, blue and yellow. I asked the sales clerk if these pants (I used that word) ever went on sale. She told me they are such a good seller at that price and they were comfortable and they sell a lot of them. I told her yes, these pants are so comfortable that I keep coming back for more.

I had a 20% coupon off at Penney's and a 25% coupon off at Sears. I went to Sears and picked up a sears brand nylon night gown and a three pack of sears panties, not the VIP panties, the old blue package panties.

At the checkout counter, the girl asked is I got her the right size. I told her I am sure the size is correct. She then asked if I wanted to keep the hanger.

I said, yes.

She asked if I wanted to use my sears card and she looked up to see if I was a member of the Sears Club. I gave her my phone number and She must have seen my purchase history because she said I bet you have 5 of these hanging in your closet in every color (if only she knew!)

I told her we had enough colors and I was actually looking for white and counted find any in the size I wanted. She commented that the gown I picked out--- just a basic sear's nylon VF knockoff-- would certainly look cute on me... I told her A lot of things look cute on me. In my mind, I said, I have a perfect body. We both laughed.

I could sense another person in line behind me. The clerk kept up with her banter. I was enjoying it, I don't think I was blushing, but it was fun.

She picked up the package of panties and told me she thought I'd look cute in the pink panties, and the blue and beige ones too, they were so cute. I again told her I was looking for white but didn't find any. I had picked up a size 9 package--these run big because I had bought a size 11 before Xmas and they swam on me.

She told me did I have the right size as these run big. I told her I knew that and that there is even a note in the package stating that fact, these panties run big but shrink down in the wash.... I know because I am using that card as a bookmark in the book I am reading... she said she didn't know that.

She asked if I wanted a receipt or an e-receipt.. which I opted for. So, I don't know her name but she did make me smile.

I think she knew who I was buying these for. When my wife got home from work this evening I told her what happened. She wondered how many old men buy panties from Sears.

I reminded her of the time she and I wear at the VF store in Branson and the sales clerk told me, as I was purchasing VF briefs (for me--- when shopping with the wife, while she will pick out styles she thinks I will like, she makes me carry the panties andpay for them, she tells me what to do. She wonders if I want to buy something pretty. I always do.)

Anyhow, several years ago at VF store, at the check out, the checker...a middleaged woman about my age, maybe a little younger, says 'these are very comfortable, lots of men buy them.' I said something like yes, they are comfortable, not agreeing that I wear them or not. Then my wife says oh you now you like to wear them.

Well, they are comfortable I said. The clerk said I thought so. I asked how. She said the sizes. Oh. I was buying big sizes and my wife is about a size 7. Have a nice day and enjoy your purchase she said, I will said I.

BethanyCross
09-13-2016, 11:45 AM
By coincidence, yesterday I had to pick up my JC Penney order. A tunic top and two bras. At the counter I told the SA I had an order to pick up. She checked my name and went to get the order. When she got back with the package she said "Let's check that you go to what you ordered" She opened the package, looked at the contents and said "I mean what she ordered". I think the SA simply assumed I was picking up an order my wife made.

jessica33
09-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Let's see here , the economy is in the toilet since 2008 . JCpenny is not doing well these days like other retailers . The management knows every penny counts from any customer , male or female . They don't really care what you buy in the store as long as you spend the money in their store and not someone else's store . Any SA gives you problem go straight to the management and let them know you will take your business somewhere else .

ellbee
09-13-2016, 01:57 PM
On the flip side, how about letting them know about a really *positive* experience? :)

NatalieLM
09-14-2016, 04:43 AM
I do most of my shopping online with the option to collect in store which I undertake in guy mode. This saves the package sitting on my doorstep..

The packages are sent from a central location and don't externally say what the items are, however the staff use their computer systems to identify the item so it could list the items on their screen. The staff are really nice and friendly so I just smile back and try not to be too self conscious about why I am there.

One time a staff member asked me if I wanted to try the items on to check for size. The shop does a small amount of menswear so I couldn't tell if she assumed they were male items or if she was actually testing me. I said something like I'm sure they are fine but next time I am asked I am going to ask if they know what is in the package! I am looking forward to it. :battingeyelashes:

Kelly Whelan
09-14-2016, 06:33 AM
Let's see here , the economy is in the toilet since 2008 . JCpenny is not doing well these days like other retailers . The management knows every penny counts from any customer , male or female . They don't really care what you buy in the store as long as you spend the money in their store and not someone else's store . Any SA gives you problem go straight to the management and let them know you will take your business somewhere else .

Years ago (2001 ish) I lived in Edinburgh and one of the girls from the TVCD community wrote to all the high street clothing stores asking their policy towards us. Not a single one was negative to the idea of selling womens clothes to men. Some went out of their way to say that they are in the business of selling clothes to the people who want to purchase them. Those online retailers that sell plus size clothes and wide footwear would be under no illusions.

In this day and age, some stores may even have training procedures and protocols in place for helping us feel comfortable, or at least feel like we have 'got away with it'.