PDA

View Full Version : Hair Trouble

Sonia_cd
02-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey all!

I've been growing my hair for the past year and 2 months and am getting increasingly frustrated with the process. For some reason, it doesn't want to grow as fast as I would like it to and I can't for the life of me seem to figure out why. Oh! What I would give to have medium length hair that I can style as I please :)

I was wondering if there were some inherent differences in the speed and nature of hair growth for men and women and if any of you girls have any answers, or have experienced similar frustration?

Sonia

Julie York
02-26-2006, 04:06 PM
It only grows about 1cm a month. That's why it seems to be only growing at.....1cm a month.

Think of something else for a year and before you know it .....etc..
:D

Julie Avery
02-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I may be spreading an urban myth here, but my experience has been that a multivitamin with minerals supplement ups the 1 cm or whatever per month to about 1.1 cm, and makes your nails grow a tad faster too. Of course, if I'm right, it also speeds the growth hair of in undesireable places....

Sonia_cd
02-26-2006, 04:20 PM
hmmm.....thanks! Although 1 cm a month seems awfully slow for hair...if only there was a way to up it to 5 cms a month without the unavoidable consequence of having all hair grow at the rate!

Like a budget, one wishes there were a swith that could be thrown which would redirect pace and density of hair growth to the head only, minimizing hair growth all over the body!! ... Hey...it never hurt anyone to dream, did it?!

Sonia

PennieS
02-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I have had long or longer hair most of my adult life and It does grow a little slower now that I have just reached 50, but I have found that a well balanced diet, lots of fruit and vegetables plus plenty of care not to abuse it to much (I have in Past), is the best trac to growing longer hair. Plus once it reaches a reasonable length, proper trimmings of just the ends and some conditioning treatments can give it a much more fuller and nicer look. Plus for a guy to go out in cold weather, it is much harder on our hair then a female, it seems that it is always easier to take care of in summer then the colder months. Hair needs to be protected when out in freezing weather, just like it is not good for it to bake in the hot summer. Longer hair is definetly worth the extra care and it is always so much cooler then wearing wigs or hairpieces. Good luck and give it a chance, it does take a while. With my own natural hair it is always much easier for me to pass as a woman, and often I have been mistakedly called mam, even when not dressed as fem.

Charlene Marie
02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Sonia. Human hair grows on average 1/2 inch a month, period. There are no pills, potions or whatever to make it grow any faster. Do you shampoo your hair every day? If you do STOP THAT! It only makes your hair weaker. but you say; My hiar is oily. because you shampoo your hair everyday your oil glands are secreting more oil. your hair growth relates to your basic health. Are you healthy? do you eat lots of fruits and vegtables? Do you excersise every day to get the blood circulating to your hair folicles? Do these things and your hair will grow, still at the average rate but be much stronger.
BTW, are you on any meds? some have ill effects on your hair. Also, brush your hair with a natural bristle brush very well every other day, that will remove any debris in your hair and distribute the natural oil to the ends.
Also, your hair will take for ever to get longer if the ends are split. If a end is split, it will break off at the split and youve lost what length you had in that hair. SO, trim your ends 1/16 of an inch every two months or so. Do all these things, and you'll have gradually longer healthy hair. I'm assuming you are a male, and have not started genetic common male patern baldness. If in fact you have, then I'm afraid there isn't anything you can do about it. You can blame that on your genes, and theres no cure PERIOD. The genes run on your mothers side, look at you mothers father, and her grandfather if they were loosing their hair alot by the age of 45 or so, so will you. the only way to stop that from happening was for you to be castrated before puberty and that seems a little drastic. i sincerely wish you good luck with this. remember the nutrition and excersize are your best friends in this regard, not to mention
all the other attributes like skin, and heart health and so on.

good luck,

Chalene Marie

Sonia_cd
02-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks Charlene for the detailed post.

To answer your questions, yes I am male, 28 yr old, yes I do exercise otherwise the clothes tend to look all off, fruits I eat but veggies i don't like; I love my meat; no, don't shampoo everyday; got my hair temporarily straightened about 3 months ago.

I will certainly make it a point henceforth to get the ends trimmmed every 6 weeks or so, that should do the trick right?

Thanks again for all the advice girls!

Hugz,
Sonia:bighug: :bighug:

Charlene Marie
02-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Sonia, Hi there. You say you got your hair temp. straightened? Was it done with a chemical preparation or a flat iron? Are you of Afraican American decent? Or are you caucasion and just trying to make your hair look longer?
Nice to know you eat right, very important.

Julia Cross
02-27-2006, 11:09 AM
...patience, that's all I can say. it took me 2 years but now I have wonderfully long hair. It was a long and frustrating wait, and when it was at a sort of awkward length, 3-4 inches I think, I would have the worst case of bedhead. Now at 8-10 inches, I can wake up to normal looking long hair.

Hang in there, it's worth the wait.

Julia

connie rotten
02-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Honey if it isn't falling out and looking patchy just be thankfull.It will grow in time. Are you eating enough protine?:hugs:

cindybarnes
02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
*sigh*
I also have hair probs,,,,,,,,,,mine seems to have diverted from my scalp and now seems to grow from my ears at a rapid rate !

No I havn't let it grow long yet but have considerd the ear and up comb over tecnique :)

Sonia, I say if you have healthy hair, then enjoy it however you like, long or short.

Cindy

TracyDeluxe
02-27-2006, 12:03 PM
*sigh*
I also have hair probs,,,,,,,,,,mine seems to have diverted from my scalp and now seems to grow from my ears at a rapid rate !

Cindy

ROFLMAO!!! :D

I know whereof you speak. ;)

Sierra Evon
02-27-2006, 03:55 PM
that sounds like some of my problems stuff I've been growing and still
am , Ive not cut my natual hair in 1yr. and dont ever plan too, I really
not to blessed with great hair gene's I guess it only just alittle bit on
my shoulders now looks much longer after I get outta the shower tho,
eat more fruits& fiber I hear that works, massge your scalp in the shower
to grt the root blood vessels moving , at least its some thing, I'm not a
doctor but I just play one on TV.......LOL:cheeky: does anyone not
have prob's like this.........+?

Penny
02-27-2006, 05:42 PM
My hair grows slow
My beard not so
It drives my butt insain
For it has hair
That seems unfair
I wish that it were plain:surrender

Sophia Rearen
02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
*sigh*

No I havn't let it grow long yet but have considerd the ear and up comb over tecnique :)

Cindy

I hair ya, Cindy. Only to have such problems as Sonia!