PDA

View Full Version : Do you have 'girly' interests (besides the obvious)

Sarah Louise
10-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Do you have interests that are more traditionally feminine and not the sort of thing the alpha male would be interested in?

I'm not talking about the obvious - women's fashions and shopping but other things.

Now while I like rock music, my real guilty pleasure is easy listening with artists such as The Carpenters (what a wonderful voice Karen Capenter had). I also love west-end musicals.

Whats your feminine pleasure?

Taylor186
10-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Romantic comedies

Micki_Finn
10-02-2016, 01:42 PM
You know with the wold being the way it is today, I have difficulty identifying activities as "girly". Isn't this kind of a social step backwards to be defining interests as "men's" or "women's"?

Amanda Park
10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Browsing the antique shops with my wife. One of our favorite weekend outings together.

Alice_2014_B
10-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Really cannot think of any at the moment.

The things I enjoy that most guys don't is opera, antique shops, theatre, and the occasional "girl" drink.

But I do not think the aforementioned list all counts as feminine, save the last one of course, and I haven't even had such a drink in a long time.
:)

Lana Mae
10-02-2016, 02:07 PM
I agree with Micki! But I will play anyway-needlepoint and plastic canvas. I always figured if Rosey Greer the football player could do it so could I!! LOL Hugs Lana Mae

kayegirl
10-02-2016, 02:14 PM
Well my girly pleasure is a visit to the ballet. The grace of the dancers just holds me enthralled. But for real entertainment watch Matthew Bourne,s Swan Lake,,,, all male dancers brilliant.

Lea
10-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Romantic comedies, musicals and women's magazines.

Tracii G
10-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Why do CD's do this? Why don't they do what they do in either mode.
My preference doesn't change if I put on female clothing.
If I go out in 100% girl mode I don't feel the need to listen to one kind of music because a girl sings it or go do something only girls would do.
Maybe you guys see it a different way so I would like to know why you feel the need to do it?
Is it to totally disengage you from your male self?
If so why do you need to disengage?

Charlessa
10-02-2016, 02:34 PM
no i'm pretty much same either way

JeanetteX
10-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Christmas movies

Leslie Langford
10-02-2016, 02:44 PM
I like to watch the daily talk shows that are put on by our local television stations, and which are geared primarily towards women. The topics usually cover such things as current clothing fashion trends, make up tips and "before and after" makeovers, home décor and gardening ideas, home renovation projects, cooking tips and recipes, as well as relationship advice by trained professionals.

When I have the opportunity to be dressed while watching one of these, it makes the experience that much more pleasurable and relatable. ;)

Sarah Louise
10-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Why do CD's do this? Why don't they do what they do in either mode.

Tracii, I think you've kind if mis-read the question. It wasn't a question of whether members do girly stuff in girl mode and boy stuff in boy mode. And no one who's replied has answered the question that way. I'm just generally interested in whether members have traditionally girl interests. I like mine in both male mode or female mode. But seeing as you've raised it, I don't see that it's such a big deal if some like to do them in girl mode only. It's a personal preference after all.

ReineD
10-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Thank you Micki_Finn (#3)! My sentiments exactly.

Tracii G
10-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Maybe I did read that wrong Sarah my apologies.
Micki I think you are right.

Jen60
10-02-2016, 03:04 PM
I enjoy browsing through fashion and makeup sites on the internet and on Pinterest.

daviolin
10-02-2016, 03:56 PM
I love to sew, altering and mending. Always have. I learned from my Grandmother. Daviolin

NewBrendaLee
10-02-2016, 04:10 PM
I love to cook and bake. Also I love the day time dramas

TrishaTX
10-02-2016, 04:12 PM
I am the primary cleaning guy.gal in the house and cook 6 our 7 meals a week.....so I guess I do.

irene9999
10-02-2016, 04:31 PM
I like to watch the daily talk shows that are put on by our local television stations, and which are geared primarily towards women. The topics usually cover such things as current clothing fashion trends, make up tips and "before and after" makeovers, home décor and gardening ideas, home renovation projects, cooking tips and recipes, as well as relationship advice by trained professionals.

Came here to say the same thing, I love watching makeover shows where they take an average looking woman and doll her up

Victoria92116
10-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Not really anything girl specific, I play board games, DnD, listen to Metal, love Sci-Fi, enjoy creating chainmaille when I can. Just dressing I suppose.

DIANEF
10-02-2016, 07:06 PM
I have little or no interest in sport, which makes joining in 'male' conversations difficult, but my interests are not specifically male or female. I draw and paint quite a lot, like soppy old black and white films but also classic and new sci-fi. I like metal and industrial music and also love Kate Bush. I'm a pretty good cook, and can also strip down and rebuild a car engine. I'm trying hard to identify any 'feminine' pas-times apart from the ones mentioned as I know women who like motorbikes and football. Again, have to agree with Micki.

redtea
10-02-2016, 07:43 PM
I create art, my style is kind of girly, it makes me feel bad, the end. :straightface:

Maria 60
10-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Does Barry Manilow count or the classic movie Love Story.

Leslie Langford
10-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Came here to say the same thing, I love watching makeover shows where they take an average looking woman and doll her up

Yep, CityLine and The Marilyn Denis Show for me. I've also been known to watch The View from time to time, but once the women on the panel all start talking over one another simultaneously to try to score their various points, my fundamentally reptilian male brain kicks in and shuts down from unsuccessfully trying to process all that overlapping verbiage... ;)

Josie
10-02-2016, 08:55 PM
I enjoy cooking and housework. I'd love to assume the role of a traditional housewife.

Periwinkle
10-02-2016, 09:04 PM
I'm actually not sure I have any inherently masculine interests. Or feminine ones, for that matter. I like drawing, singing, shopping, reading, listening to chill music. I'm not sure if I'd classify those things as feminine, but I wouldn't call them masculine either. My interests are pretty unisex. Except shopping maybe. XD

jen_ross
10-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Sarah, that's a very interesting question. I actually like musical theater quite a lot, and especially like the show/music Cabaret. (The movie and the stage show). I also like more traditional stuff like Singing in the Rain, one of my favorite movies ever. Is that a girly thing? I like to read books with a female protagonist, probably targeted at women. Amazon thought I was a girl a long time before I started buying ladies things.

Gwyneth
10-02-2016, 09:23 PM
How about getting pick up lines.

Keriala
10-02-2016, 09:31 PM
I've always preferred women musicians....Carole King, Laura Nyro, Melissa Etheridge and more. I also love what's commonly called "chick lit"...romantic and funny novels by authors like Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Rachel Gibson, and Jennifer Crusie.

Marcelo
10-02-2016, 09:46 PM
I don't do it very often but the times I've gone to GLBT bars for Halloween parties I've liked telling the bartenders to make me the fruitiest sissy drink they can come up with to make it fun. I guess that came from working in restaurants and hanging out with enthusiastic/creative bartenders.

I don't always drink in drag but when I do I prefer fruity sissy drinks.
I'm the world's most interesting crossdresser.

Ressie
10-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Not really, but I don't have any manly interests either.

April Showers
10-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I love musicals and romantic movies I usually cry during these which amuses the wife as she never cries watching movies. I also love making costumes (attended the sewing classes with my wife when she needs to learn a new technique or the lessons when we bought the embroidery machine we have ( I was the only male there so i guess you could say that's not a common male interest LOL ). We sell medieval clothing at renaissance fairs that we sew ourselves and we make a lot of cosplay costume for my son and his friends (and ourselves yes we still get dressed up at comic cons) but I love making period costumes especially Victorian dresses I love a good bustle hee hee and who doesn't love corsets. I also love the Hollywood glam eras 40's and 50's I have a ton of patterns from that era I am just in the process of learning how to resize patterns so i can make some for myself (they were so small back then) oh I guess collecting patterns would be outside the normal male interests. oh one last thing I love women's hats ( would love to take a millinery course ) again I love the hats from the 20's to the 50's, Oh and beaded purses I started collecting hats and beaded purses from the 20's-50's. I think this list could go on forever with me I don't really do anything much that my other male friends do.

Chelsea B
10-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Sara,
Ditto on The Carpenters, as well as lots of other female artists, and musicals. Broadway musicals in my case, but lucky enough to have gotten to see West End theater over the years too, on trips to London.
never had any issues owning those interests.

Shayna
10-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Not sure it would qualify as girly, but decorating. Love to watch HGTV and get ideas on what to do to our home.

Lorileah
10-03-2016, 12:18 AM
:facepalm: we're going in that direction again? I get confused easily. Wasn't it just yesterday that someone posted a thread about why we all can't just do or be who we are?

BTW you know half the people on the West End Stage aren't female, right?

Tania75
10-03-2016, 12:21 AM
I do a Saturday morning exercise class which is aerobic exercise based, as opposed to weights, and of a regular class of 10-12, there are only 1 or 2 guys who do the class.
Going by all the advertising for exercise classes, almost all are aimed at women and promote weight loss and getting a slimmer figure, while men's promotions are based on getting bigger muscle mass in the gym.
Given that I just want to be healthy and keep the weight off, I will choose the Saturday morning class every time. I just have to pretend to show no interest when the general talk turns to fashions etc, as it always does when a group of women get together.

Krisi
10-03-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm with Micki and Tracii on this one. It's sexist to say that some activities are for females and others are for males.

Also, strapping on a wig and a pair of boobs doesn't change who we are. If you believe that your taste in music or food changes when dressed as a female, you are fooling yourself big time.

Dana44
10-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Anything a man can do, a girl can also do. I am gender fluid and read the girly magazines in male clothes, there is no difference I have sewed as a male and as a female. The only thing different is our feminine ways and the thing to concentrate on is have the manners and etiquette of a girl when out and that is to show that we are what we are presenting to make it confusing and pass. If you are woman enough, no matter how you look you will pass.

Ressie
10-03-2016, 10:17 AM
If you believe that your taste in music or food changes when dressed as a female, you are fooling yourself big time.

I don't think anyone has implied that so far. The thread is about feminine interests other than dressing en femme.

Some activities are generally associated with females while others are associated with men. Let's not be in denial about that. I've known female mechanics, but working on cars is usually assumed to be something that men do.

Watch some of the "What's my Line" episodes on youtube to see how there was an attempt to fool the panel with guests that had occupations that were (during the '50s-'60s) associated with the opposite sex. It's kind of enlightening.

Gwyneth
10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
I've been cleaning house all morning. Not that I like to do that, but it would be great to have a man come home and appreciate all that enough to make a few compliments and enjoy it. I'd let him sit and relax a while. Rub his feet as he watches TV. Small talk. Then sneak off and change into something romantic and lure him to the bedroom. I would definitely get up in the morning and wash the sheets!

shellybme
10-03-2016, 12:40 PM
I love Say yes to the Dress. That's the only thing I think is overtly girly. I think in 2016 there are few things that are considered overtly girly. I watch it in both femme and male mode. I agree with a lot of people here just because you are dressed doesn't change who you are.

Giselle(Oshawa)
10-03-2016, 12:46 PM
chick flicks here

TinaMc
10-03-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm a lady.
Because I'm a lady, I do ladies' things like attend operettas and les ballets imaginaires.
I press flowers, and stroke kittens, and swim in rivers wearing dresses and hats and ...

Lorileah
10-03-2016, 01:21 PM
but working on cars is usually assumed to be something that men do.

I will alert the Force daughters and Danica Patrick. How about fighter pilots? That's a manly field...except one the first pilots for the US Air Forces newest jet is Lt. Col. Christine Mau, 33rd Fighter Wing Operations Group deputy commander.

I get how some here are still defining male/female roles. Many men in the US still do that. Sometimes I think it is mostly fear that they won't be "needed". My friends teach their daughters how to do basic car maintenance. Change tires, check fluids, note how the car shifts or runs rough. To be honest, I can't do much more on the new models. Some of the best cooks in the world are male. Many of the best designers are men. Lots of the people designing rockets here at Lockheed Martin are women, in fact one of the top VPs was a classmate in high school who was also a cheerleader.

When someone equates a job with a gender, it shows a real lack of understanding that gender. It also shows that even though the people on these boards want to be treated equally in the world, they still have set notions about who can do what themselves. I hate cleaning house, but I am a hell of a cook. I can build a wall from frame to plaster. I can also paint a landscape in oils and alkyds. My profession is now well above 50% female. Many of my colleagues work with horses and cattle, not to mention zoos and marine life. I am pretty damn good at cats. I read Good Housekeeping and I watch football.

I know that people don't see that they do reinforce stereotypes while proclaiming to try and promote equality. Now excuse me while I go repair the oven door so I can make my special super duper pot roast before my husband comes home and demands his extra dry martini and back rub.

Ceera
10-03-2016, 02:46 PM
I like to cook. I like to hang out and chat with GG or TG girls (most often with lesbians) a lot more than hanging out with other guys (unless perhaps I am in full femme mode and a guy is chatting me up and interested in me socially). I collect cute stuffed animals, and display them all over my bedroom. I like to sew and make costuming stuff (I'm the one teaching my GG daughter how to sew). I occasionally do other needle arts, like embroidery. I enjoy decorating my home with pretty things. I like shopping - and not just for girl clothes and makeup and shoes and jewelry. I love getting good deals and things on great sales. I'm not into sports in general, though I'll happily watch a well-played game, without much caring who is playing or who is winning. I love to go out for an evening of dancing and a few drinks. I love it when people complement my appearance or my clothing choices. I love to put together carefully-selected outfits where the clothes, shoes, jewelry and accessories all go together just right. I'd rather do artistic and creative things (drawing, writing, woodworking, and generally making things) than participate in competitive activities.

sometimes_miss
10-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Affection is my first goal; sex, second.

Kiersten
10-04-2016, 04:01 AM
No, I pretty much the same in either mode.

Ashley090
10-04-2016, 04:42 AM
We should not categorize and creating girls stuff of guys stuff or interests. It all depends on each person interest and liking not their gender. That is my opinion.
On topic: I dont have any "girly" interests, i like to cook sometimes but hey, many guys do like to cook. In fact, Ashley is little bit boyish. I like pink color, is that counts? :D

Kate Simmons
10-04-2016, 05:05 AM
Not sure what you mean by "girly". These days the "camps" are not that far apart and everyone does everything more or less. :)

Lily Catherine
10-04-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't think there's even a proper definition for 'girly' activities these days. Even if there's one, there shouldn't be, and it's beyond pointless.

As an arbitrary aside, I've obviously never played netball competitively, but I hope things have changed regarding the women's-only status of netball.

Michelle Cheli
10-04-2016, 10:08 AM
My feminine side starts and ends a CDing. Hell even when dressed, I like to imagine myself indulging in my other hobbies (ie playing heavy metal on guitar, skateboarding, playing airsoft) that for the most part are activities that have a much larger male demographic.

Stephanie47
10-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Sometimes I like being on the bottom in bed! :)

Really! Nearing the end of my seventh decade on Earth I've come to realize most wives like a man who helps with the housework and child care. Are you a guy who rather buy clean dishes at Goodwill rather than wash those in the sink and bathtub. My son has a male friend who actually did that. Anyway, I know my wife, when she is working or not, appreciates the fact that I push the vacuum around the house, washes the dishes, does the laundry and some ironing, cooks and bakes. Unfortunately when she is off work all those "girlie" chores are done en drab. When she is at work, well, it is done a la June Cleaver in dress, heels, etc.

Frankly, when a girl or young woman says something to the effect "That's man's work" I tend to set them straight! A woman can be a doctor too. And a man can be a nurse also.

NicoleScott
10-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Are you a guy who rather buy clean dishes at Goodwill rather than wash those in the sink and bathtub.

Years ago I heard a comedian use the following example as one of nature's laws of bachelorhood: "the dishes won't get washed until there are no longer any clean ones in the kitchen. I discovered this one morning as I was eating cereal out of a bundt pan ........with an ice cream scoop".

rockerreds
10-04-2016, 11:28 AM
I've started reading Chicklit- mostly Emily Giffin, good writer.

IleneD
10-04-2016, 12:09 PM
HA! Lorileah.
I was a carrier fighter pilot for almost 30 yrs. The most fun you can have with your clothes on.... almost (depends on the clothes I now imagine).
I never wore girly things under my flight suit because most are made out of synthetic fibers that would instantly melt to my sensitive body parts in case of a cockpit flash fire or ejection. However, I wore panties (or a bra at times) under my dress and casual uniforms when I thought I was safe.
I've always had the attraction to dress since boyhood, and the obsession has risen and fallen during the course of 64 yrs. I'm still in great shape and have the freedom in retirement to pursue that OTHER SIDE OF ME.
As for OTHER "GIRLY" INTERESTS? I am the typical 'jack of all trades'. I fear none of them and can master many; and one of the reasons I've always been the square peg is that I DO NOT follow normal neanderthal male interests to a great extent. You probably won't find me drooling over the NFL, (thought I played and enjoy the game.) Just not that into the 'fandom' aspects of male sports following.
I do individual sports/recreation these days that could be male or female interests. I cook proficiently (much better than the SO). I know how to use a sewing machine (but haven't made my own dress yet- sure to come). I sing like a songbird and perform solos in church. Once I got over the stage fright and just let the voice OUT, it changed everything. I have fairly good skills at rendering, and I paint. Love the symphony. Love the ballet. Go to plays and stage performing arts. I play a good 'hacker' guitar too.
I'm an educated (multiple grad degrees) , and [IMO] an erudite, thoughtful human being. Appreciative of the arts and the best civilization has. I also imagine most CDs on this board are also educated to an above average degree. In some respects I see more enlightened people prone to dressing.

VioletDoll
10-04-2016, 02:23 PM
I love smelly candles and fancy hand soap.
In Denver there was this soap store called MELT that I would go to in the Cherry Creek mall. I would spend entirely too much money there.

reb.femme
10-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Hi Sarah,

I can't say that I have any interests in one mode or the other or that might have been thought of as girlie. My musical taste extends from the Carpenters to my absolute favourite genre, Vocal Trance. It just depends on my mood of the day. I've always been a techie, aircraft and computers in the main and this has never left me.

One thing I can say is that I hate reality television in any mode. I'd rather break a nail on my way out that endure that.

Oh,...I had thought of joining the Women's Institute...or maybe not! :heehee:

Becky

Gwyneth
10-04-2016, 05:03 PM
I got to google vocal trance.

That didn't take long. Youtube has many. Beautiful women scrolling on the video. And this tells me I've changed. There was a time I wanted girls like that. Now I want to be them! I have about the same chance!

CynthiaD
10-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Well, let's see, my wife likes to work in the yard, mowing the grass and raking leaves. I hate it. She likes tearing our appliances apart and fixing them. I hate it. She loves football and is glued to the TV all weekend. I hate sports. She loves horses, riding them, grooming them, even shoveling out the stalls. I'm pretty indifferent about horses. She loves camping in the wilderness. I prefer fancy hotels.

No, I guess I don't have any girly interests.

BjorkCD
10-04-2016, 08:37 PM
I would guess, I like shopping.

Scarlett398
10-05-2016, 12:11 AM
I like candles too - Yankee candles. Not the ones that smell like food. The ones that have a sexy smell to them. I also like a great bar of expensive soap. I love to shop for all kinds of my CD stuff. Checking out at the register can be a little nerve racking at times. Most cashiers don't say anything off color. Every once in a while, someone at the register will say, "those skirts are gonna look great on you" when I am dressed as a guy. I just laugh and say, "they are for my wife, she loves short skirts with opaque tights in the fall and winter and I love to see her in those outfits in the fall and winter. It's a real sexy look on her." And then the checkout goes just fine from there. Any of you guys feel a little uncomfortable checking out at the register dressed as a guy buying girl's clothes?......Scarlett

biannne
10-05-2016, 12:50 AM
I like collecting Dolls. I started out collecting action figure when I was young but now I collected Dolls for the last 10 or 15 years.
I love candle and I light them up in my room and everywhere else in the house. Love to take bubble bath.

Bruce64
10-06-2016, 05:09 AM
I do bubble baths often.

Alice Torn
10-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Not much. My cats? Flowers.

Carrols
10-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Beading and Jewelry making.

njcddresser
10-10-2016, 07:06 AM
If I answered this question a month ago I would have answered no. However, as of late I've been reading a lot of romance novels that are mostly marketed to women. Most are fairly trashy with a great deal of smut, but they do make for some entertaining light reading.