PDA

View Full Version : Hair question

Fainne the King
02-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Well, I'm trying to let my hair grow out for a change, but that doesn't help me when I'm trying to pass. Luckily, a lot of young guys are wearing their hair pretty long these days. But is there a way to hide it if it looks too feminine? Wigs, hats? What's the best type of hat to wear? Any other suggestions?

CaptLex
02-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, I'm trying to let my hair grow out for a change, but that doesn't help me when I'm trying to pass. Luckily, a lot of young guys are wearing their hair pretty long these days. But is there a way to hide it if it looks too feminine? Wigs, hats? What's the best type of hat to wear? Any other suggestions?

Hi, Fainne, and welcome. I'm just wondering why you want to grow it out since it will probably make you look more feminine. But anyway, I guess the key is to style in a manner men would style it if they grew it long. Whatever that is . . . I'm not sure. Sorry, I know that wasn't much help. Looking forward to your input on these boards. :cool:

NorriesMom GG
02-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Fainne, Not sure if you've seen it, but in the new Harry Potter movie, Rupert Grint has his hair close to the same lenght as yours. Bucket hats seem to cover alot up too. While your growing your hair out, what about going with punky spikes? Just a thought :happy:
~Liz~

Julie Avery
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Hope this doesn't seem silly, but as a genetic male, I think wearing a baseball cap might work. Wearing it backwards might even work better, you're young enough to pull that off.

sky0629
02-28-2006, 10:10 PM
ok being a guy the ball cap forward or backwards comb your hair straight back. when you condition your hair don't rinse it all out help keep it laid down. kind of give it the second day look but you know its clean. hope this helps. sky

Fainne the King
03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys, that helps. I went out and bought some hats, so hopefully I can hide my hair under them. ^^

shounenganai
03-22-2006, 01:26 AM
How is one supposed to get a decent boy haircut, anyway? I have real long hair, and girly bangs, and I surely don't pass enough to go into a barbershop and say "please cut my hair". (That's what I read you should do to avoid being read as a lesbian and ending up with a lesbian haircut.)

What are good guy haircuts for people with oval/oblong faces and high foreheads? How the hell do you style guy hair?

Please help me out here. :P

Kimberley
03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Hope you dont mind a line from one of the princesses...lol

I used to have long (near waist length) hair. A braid or ponytail was fine (necessary actually because I rode scooters at the time) but keep the elastic low to the neck not high as most women wear them.

Hats.... okay, baseball caps are good although I never wear one; wouldnt be caught dead in one. Just a personal choice though.

Fainne, you have the same shape face I do. I often wore (and still do) a fedora or a wide brim (my preference) and you can do plenty with them; change the bands etc. Center part is okay and blow dry just the top for some fullness. That takes care of the bangs issue. Get rid of the layering.

Hope this helps some.

Kimberley

CaptLex
03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
I surely don't pass enough to go into a barbershop and say "please cut my hair". How the hell do you style guy hair? Please help me out here. :P

Actually, I think barber shops have more experience with male-type haircuts, so they're a good resource. I've been to hair salons and barber shops and I prefer the barber shops. I tell them what I'm looking for and a few snips later it's done, just as I asked. At a salon they usually want to "style" it in some fashion and I have to keep telling them to just cut it and I'll style it myself.

It helps if you find a picture of what you want, though. And it may take a few tries before you find a cut you like. I usually comb it straight and part it on the side, but sometimes if I'm feeling like a change, I'll just comb the sides straight and curl the top (it helps that my hair is natually curly). Good luck experimenting. ;)

RevMoonSerpent
03-23-2006, 03:01 AM
shounenganai

If you don't mind spending a little bit of money, there is a website you can use to find the hair cut that you like best. http://thehairstyler.com
It costs $15.00 and the membership is good for three months. You can upload a photo of yourself so you can see exactly how the style will look on you. It also gives you the options to print your photo with your selected cut, it tells you the exact cut of the hair (tapered, layed etc.) and it even gives you instructions on how to style it.
This is what I use to take care of my own hair. This way it doesn't matter if I go to a barber or salon. All the information they need is right there.

EricaCD
03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
But I am genetically a guy who formerly had long hair and does have to get his hair cut to continue looking like a man. So here's hoping this helps...

Most men who have straight hair that is shoulder length or longer wear it straight back in a ponytail, with the band at the nape of the neck. For a FTM I would suggest pushing the band down another inch or two to cover what is almost invariably a slimmer neck. No man will notice this.

Some men braid - again, start the braid as low as possible. I would advise against this because it looks more feminine even on a GM.

I'll cut across the grain and suggest that if unless you live in the deep South you should not wear a cap over shoulder length hair. Men (myself included when I went hippie) that choose to grow their hair long generally do this as a conscious choice and tend not to cover their hair up. The whole point is to have conspicuous hair. There are of course exceptions, the most common being ball caps over mullet type cuts. Indisputably masculine, but kinda icky in my opinion.

As far as how we "style" our hair when wearing short? Guys, we don't STYLE it. We cut it. (Sorry - that sounded rude. Just trying to make a point.) Cut it short, comb it down, don't blow dry, lay off the gel. A couple concrete tips:

1. Get the back done as a box cut rather than tapered. Box cut means the bottom at the back is flat. Tapered means that the sides sort of curve down to give a less angular profile. If you want to look like a guy, get boxed.

2. Keep the sides short. Shorter than you think.

3. Go to a honest to god, old fashioned barber. Not a stylist. Preferably someone over 50 who works in a place with a striped pole outside his shop and charges no more than $15. Tell him you want your hair cut in a man's style and you are likely to get what you asked for.

Very best of luck to you!

Erica

Fainne the King
03-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I'll cut across the grain and suggest that if unless you live in the deep South you should not wear a cap over shoulder length hair.

EricaYeah, I do live in the deep south.

Kieron Andrew
03-24-2006, 05:46 PM
believe it or not guys i have a full head of hair.....half way down my back......if i tie it back i can half way get away with looking quite boyish as you see from my avatar i might post a pic of my long hair if im brave enough

if i leave it down it does make me quite girly though

i guess im lucky, although all the mates i have that are T* keep telling me i have to get it cut in a more manly style

shounenganai
03-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I've been cramming my long hair under a baseball cap. I'm damn sick of that cap, too. The brim messes up your peripheral vision, you know? I still look quite like a girl in the hat if my hair's in a ponytail. Actually, I guess I do no matter what I try.

Nobody supports the idea of me cutting my hair. I get a lot of "why would you do that? It's so pretty! Don't do that!"

Is there some other kind of hat people wear casually? I'm not exactly going to go to the grocery store in a fedora.

Fainne the King
03-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Is there some other kind of hat people wear casually? I'm not exactly going to go to the grocery store in a fedora.
I've found that the beanie hats are quite common among guys, and they're good for covering hair.

Felix
04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi again after having shaved hair for 4yrs I have been growing mine it's shoulder length black and shaggy! Well everybody always says I remind them of a camp man even though I got longer hair now and I quite like hippyish clothes which goes away from the butch image I used to have. Inside I guess I feel camp. So it's kinda strange really.