PDA

View Full Version : why create a female persona?

Samantha uk
10-23-2016, 12:16 PM
So why do we choose to have a female name? A big part of crossdressing seems to be creating a female alter ego with a female name in order to express our feminine sides but recently I’m starting to question why I create a female persona at all.

I’m a happily married heterosexual man and It has taken me a long time to feel comfortable with the fact that I’m a crossdresser.

However it never really felt right referring to my feminine side as a seperate person, it felt like I was using this female character as an excuse not to face up to the fact that ‘I am a crossdresser’ now as I gain more and more self acceptance I’m finding that its much more helpful to think about my feminine side as me because after all that is what it is.

I’m also finding that its easier to talk to my wife if I’m talking about me rather than an imaginary third person. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that if anyone is struggling with the idea of being a crossdresser then perhaps it might help to think in this way.

I'm also thinking about changing my profile name because I'm being hypocritical otherwise :)

karla2016
10-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Well, every one of us is different. For my case in the contrary my girlfriend a I always refer to Karla as a third person, which is good, because for example when we are shopping she ask me:" My dear, do you think Karla might like this blouse?", then I say:"oh...yep, she might look good on it"...I believe that approach is better than if she ask me in the store surrounded with strangers:"My dear do you need more lipstick?" When we are planning a getaway weekend she might ask:"Are you packing any Karla's clothes?". I might say:"No...I don't think so, she might have no time this weekend..."

So yes, in my relationship with my girlfriend Karla is a third person...

Charlyne
10-23-2016, 12:28 PM
If I am introducing myself to someone while dressed; Charlyne sounds better to me than my male name.

Kate Simmons
10-23-2016, 12:35 PM
I dunno, I think some of us just like having a female name. You are always free to do what you want to in any case. Enjoy! :battingeyelashes::)

Tracii G
10-23-2016, 12:39 PM
How is having female name hypocritical ?
I wouldn't use my male name as a user name and post a pic of my female presentation.That would be silly don't you think?
There is no harm or shame to use a more female sounding name for a forum.
I don't speak of myself in a 3rd person format to anyone I am me either way.
I'm totally comfortable being me you may not be on the other hand.

Teresa
10-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Samantha,
It depends how you derive your name, I hadn't thought about it until I joined the forum and then it was easy for me because my female name is very close to my male name . I personally feel happier having a name that fits with the way I prefer to dress, using a male name would be hypocritical to me , but in a shortened form it would only mean changing a Y for an I .

Tina June
10-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I have been using the name Marlene for a while, but my wife has never liked using it and I think that I will be changing it to a feminized version of my given name.
I will probably just go with Tommi from now on

ShelbyDawn
10-23-2016, 02:25 PM
I did it for two reasons.
First, my ex has been known to troll this forum looking for me and I really don;t want to go through that kind of grief. I just posted in another thread about that.
Second, When I found this forum and started reading, I noticed it was just kinda what you do here.

So, I guess I'm kind of a paranoid follower... LOL

Call yourself what ever you want, I'm betting you'll still be welcome here.

Elizabeth G
10-23-2016, 02:38 PM
For me it just helps complete the image. If I am dreading entirely feminine with makeup, wig clothes etc it doesn't feel right to go by my male name.

Rachael Leigh
10-23-2016, 02:44 PM
I do it mostly because it does distinguish the difference between my two different parts. While it is true I'm finding my female side is much more simalar to my male side which did surprise me a bit, it does make things simpler.
My female name also is close to my male name so for me it's easy

dolovewell
10-23-2016, 02:49 PM
I do not give myself a female name. I just don't feel the need.... however, when I was out shopping en femme yesterday, a couple SAs I had conversations with asked me what my name was. I just gave them the first name that popped into my head.

Another awkward moment was when I was buying a bra at Victoria's Secret and paid with a credit card and was asked for my ID. I had to hand over my ID with my male mugshot on there.

Lana Mae
10-23-2016, 02:56 PM
I am my male side and Lana Mae is my feminine side. Both are me. They do not look exactly the same so they are different. Lana Mae is just a way to refer to my feminine side. Lana mae is me but there are some personality changes between her and I. As long as you are comfortable with what ever, go for it. Be happy and do not over think or over complicate this! "Don't worry be happy!" Hugs Lana Mae

reb.femme
10-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Hi Samantha,

I don't consider that I have an alter ego, merely a femme side that I would love to let out more. My wife is not overly enamoured with this femme side, so I limit the amount of time that I dress at home. After all, she married a male. If I were to have free rein, then I would dress each day in the gender that I felt best suited me on the day. Not sure my clients would be too happy though, never knowing whether it would be Becky or Bob turning up of a day.

I couldn't possibly use my male name when dressed and/or out and about. I am married, many years in fact, heterosexual with grown up boys and I personally have no problems accepting myself as a crossdresser.

I'm away with work again this week, so tonight I'll be packing my girl bag and having a femme night out, down in the west country, where I will be Becky rather than Bob for the evening. If you are happy calling yourself Bob when dressed, fine, but if you are looking for some confusion when out and dressed, then your strategy is spot on. Anyway, if you and your wife are happy, nothing else matters.

Becky

Confucius
10-23-2016, 05:08 PM
I have no reason to have a feminine name. I do not go out in public dressed. I am not trying to create a female alter ego. I see myself as a man in a dress. Because of this I do not use a female name.

Ceera
10-23-2016, 05:10 PM
It depends a whole lot on how we want to be perceived by others while we're dressed, and on why we dress.

If you are fully in the closet, or only dress at home, or if you do go out, but when you do, you're okay with being seen as 'a man in a dress', then you don't need a feminine persona at all. It might be fun if you dress for bedroom play with an accepting partner, but for the most part, in these cases your name doesn't matter.

But if you go out, and if you want others to perceive and accept you as a woman, and not as a man (or vice versa if you're FtM), then a suitable name to match your appearance is as important as your wig or breast forms. It doesn't matter if you're hoping for a date or strictly celibate. Nor does your orientation matter. What matters is that you want people to react to you as your presented gender. And that's harder to do when you speak in a voice that doesn't match the presented gender, or when you give them a name that doesn't match.

So some CD's, and I would expect almost all trangender individuals, find it necessary to have a name that sounds appropriate for their presentation gender.

In my case, when I go out en-femme, I want, as much as I can manage, to be seen and accepted as the woman that I would have been in life if my chromosomes matched the feminine part of my mind. If my body shaping, wig, clothes, shoes and makeup are perfect, but I speak like a male truck driver or say my name is some obviously male name, that disrupts my presentation as badly as a Shakespearean actor taking a cell phone call in the middle of performing Macbeth.

I am lucky, in that my legal first name is somewhat unisex. It's more common as a name for males, but I've known girls who also have the same legal first name. So there are times, especially when just shopping, that I don't bother to use my female name while en-femme. My driver's license may show my male form and male gender marker, but at least my stated name matches the ID and credit card. And if all I am doing is handing them a credit card, I have little reason to ask them to use any other name.

But when I am out socially and en-femme, I try very hard to use my female name. It's as much a part of my presentation as my wig or breast forms.

When I am in male mode with my daughter but we see a female item I might want, we refer to Ceera in the third person. "Do you think that would look good on Ceera?" for example.

Ressie
10-23-2016, 05:26 PM
I don't think of it as creating a female persona. There wasn't anything creative about it in my case. Earlier in my life I didn't dress as completely as I do now. Dressing completely, ready to present as a female kind of manifested a female persona by itself.

As far as my female name? That started when I got into my first CD type chat room. Most others had female names so I made one up too. I remember in the late '90s going by Kitty. It was a fun, new experience, getting to know other CDs online..

Now days most CDs I know have a female name, but not all do. I think it's more appropriate to have a female name if you're going out and meeting people. Apparently, it's not for everybody.

Rachelakld
10-23-2016, 05:44 PM
We are all different
My female persona has (except for the skinbag) got very little in common with my male persona. So I use two names as it reflects the mode I'm in.
Many people here have only one persona, maybe fully male (some even have beards), maybe female stuck in a male body, so in that reguard I suppose one name would be correct.

Laurana
10-23-2016, 05:55 PM
The only place I use the name Laurana is here. I don't really have a "female persona" though.

NicoleScott
10-23-2016, 06:38 PM
Simple. I don't want to use my real name.
I had been out a lot, but the first time I went into a tg-friendly club, I stepped inside and was immediately greeted with "welcome, what's your name?" Not a good time for "uh, let's see now..." I said "thank you, I'm Nicole".
Good thing Neil Armstrong was prepared with a statement, rather than "hey you guys, it's not really green cheese" or "all I see is fifty shades of gray".

ellbee
10-23-2016, 07:53 PM
I first came up with my name because all the girls were doing it -- or at least those who had a GeoCities page on the internet back in the mid- to late-90s, as I did.

Seemed kind of weird *not* to have one, in that scenario... My male name? No name?? No way!

And yes, it also most certainly comes in handy when en femme out in public. :laughing:

Angie G
10-23-2016, 08:17 PM
I just love being Angie it seems to make my dressing more fullI do feel like I really part girl so why not the girl name. We are not all the same thank God. Jusy my feeling on it.:hugs:
Angie

Tracy Irving
10-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Most of us were given our male name by someone else. This is a chance for us to pick out any name we want for ourselves. Nothing wrong with taking advantage...

DIANEF
10-23-2016, 08:40 PM
I had the name Diane almost from the first time I fully cross dressed. I think it was because if I had been born a girl that is the name I would have liked. I don't think I become someone else when dressed, but using my male name just doesn't feel right. To be honest I don't think it's that important. If you want a name fine, if you don't then don't use one.

Tracii G
10-23-2016, 09:05 PM
I would feel stupid out somewhere in 100% girl mode and someone ask my name and blurt out my given guy name.
Talk about causing people to look and go WTH? Look Marge its a damn crossdresser get the pitchforks and the gasoline.

redtea
10-23-2016, 09:21 PM
It is indeed an excuse to crossdress, But for me I'm aware that there is only me- But it's fun to imagine this polar opposite side as a different name all together.

Some CDers have the fetish of simply being a girl and the name is just another key accessory.

Some CDers don't want to say a male name when identifying en femme, It's weird, especially for those who are passing really well.

Some CDers are actually Trans so this new name is in their heart the name they are supposed to have.

Some CDers just want to join the community and use their name to not only mask their identity but also as a badge of honor.

I used Redtea because I wasn't sure what my name would be. I'm leaning towards Charlotte.

Pat
10-23-2016, 09:27 PM
The question was why create a female persona, which is different than advocating against having a handy female name to use as a handle.

I see a reason for creating a persona -- Most of us are in a state of flux in our journey of self-discovery and not at a stable end point. During the phase of self-discovery many people feel that there are two distinct personalities housed in their body. Over time, I think most of us come to accept that it's not the case, but until you have a chance to suss it out it provides a workable model. And there are some folks for whom that's a workable enough solution that they never seem to abandon it. I think part of the appeal of a second persona is like believing the sun goes around the earth: it seems to fit the facts at first. And vestiges of it may remain even after you know better -- we still talk about sun-up and sundown even though intellectually we know that's wrong.

For me personally, it was an interim model that I left behind but the name "Jennie-cd" is still around from that time even though I no longer use Jennie in the real world and even though I no longer consider myself a CD.

sometimes_miss
10-24-2016, 01:17 AM
For some, it's just something we did when we got here, because everyone else took a female name to use on this forum. Others desperately cling to anything feminine; we hate taking off our female clothing, and prefer to think of ourselves as female (for whatever reason) so thinking of ourselves as female with a female name just feels normal to us. Still others use a female name and create a whole persona to attribute all of their feminine feelings and thoughts to, because they cannot accept that it is really themselves who those feelings and thoughts are part of; in this way, they allow themselves to believe that they are still an all masculine manly man, and that all the feminine stuff is really someone else entirely.

Samantha uk
10-24-2016, 01:39 AM
The question was why create a female persona, which is different than advocating against having a handy female name to use as a handle.

I see a reason for creating a persona -- Most of us are in a state of flux in our journey of self-discovery and not at a stable end point. During the phase of self-discovery many people feel that there are two distinct personalities housed in their body. Over time, I think most of us come to accept that it's not the case, but until you have a chance to suss it out it provides a workable model. And there are some folks for whom that's a workable enough solution that they never seem to abandon it. I think part of the appeal of a second persona is like believing the sun goes around the earth: it seems to fit the facts at first. And vestiges of it may remain even after you know better -- we still talk about sun-up and sundown even though intellectually we know that's wrong.

For me personally, it was an interim model that I left behind but the name "Jennie-cd" is still around from that time even though I no longer use Jennie in the real world and even though I no longer consider myself a CD.

That does make sense to me, although I am still trying to workout why I feel compelled to create a female form rather than just dress more feminine. Surley if I fully accept this is who I am then it should follow that I would just present a more feminine version of myself rather than trying to recreate a female version of me. Having said that, I am beginning to think that might be something I want to experiment with

- - - Updated - - -

For some, it's just something we did when we got here, because everyone else took a female name to use on this forum. Others desperately cling to anything feminine; we hate taking off our female clothing, and prefer to think of ourselves as female (for whatever reason) so thinking of ourselves as female with a female name just feels normal to us. Still others use a female name and create a whole persona to attribute all of their feminine feelings and thoughts to, because they cannot accept that it is really themselves who those feelings and thoughts are part of; in this way, they allow themselves to believe that they are still an all masculine manly man, and that all the feminine stuff is really someone else entirely.

That was how I did it in the beginning, I had a really hard time accepting it and that was a great way to bypass those difficult feelings. But as I've got older and more tolerant and accepting of others I've also become tolerant and accepting of this side of myself, and dare I say it, feel quite proud of it! and with that I'm thinking that actually this isn't someone else, this is me and I should celebrate that rather than be ashamed of it. I just don't know yet how that translates

Ashley090
10-24-2016, 03:52 AM
I do prefer two personality mode realy. But I can't tell why I like it or why I refer my feme side as another person. It just is. Even alone when I think about Ashley, it not "I would like that" but it "she would like it". It maybe be weird but I percive her more as my friend then part of my actualy. All girly interest and likings and that stuff I asociate with her and she is responsible for buying all that girly stuff :D For long time when i see myself in mirror trying be en femme and thinks "hey thats me" then i feel pretty stupid and little bit as weirdo. But when i think more like "it's not me, that ugly girl is somebody else" then I am okay, i can stare on myself long as please :)
Having name or whole persona realy depends on each person :)
PS: call me a doctor, I should visit psychologist xD

Lily Catherine
10-24-2016, 07:00 AM
I'll inevitably be signing off as Lily on this site. Credit cards can't lie though, although any purchase I made for/as Lily was done in cash. I'm not sure I'd consider myself to have created a female persona, seeing that I hardly change except in appearance and demeanour. Although it's much easier to have an English, female name to refer to myself here while I try to get away with my Chinese name in real life.

Although "perhaps James would wear that" isn't unheard of at this point.

Nikkilovesdresses
10-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Interesting thought. I was Nicky as a child, and still am to certain friends, so Nikki is a small step for me.

When I think of myself as Nikki I feel an affection for myself that I don't ordinarily feel. I think we use female names because it helps us feel in touch with our feminine side- and I think this has nothing to do with our sexual orientation. It just feels good.

lynnstar
10-24-2016, 07:30 AM
When i am in male mode, i use my male name. But when i dress i am no longer in male mode so i dont use my male name. Using a fem name helps me feel fem and that goes along with the way i feel when dressed (hope thats not to confusing?). Anyway, just before i joined i was trying to decide on my fem name. Didnt want to use a derivative. Of my male name incase my wife or other friends find out i dress. As i. Was trying to figure out a fem name the nsme Lynn Star popped into my head. Where it came from i dont know? But i liked the name so. When i am dressed or on the forum. I am lynn star. Thats pretty much it.

BLUE ORCHID
10-24-2016, 07:48 AM
Hi Samantha:hugs:, For me Orchid is who I am while I am participating in this program...:daydreaming:...

Karen RHT
10-24-2016, 08:02 AM
For me, using a femme name just adds to the fun.

Karen

Krisi
10-24-2016, 08:12 AM
"So why do we choose to have a female name?"

Well, I would look pretty silly all dolled up and people calling me "Homer"!

"Crossdressing" covers a wide variety of people. Some just wear panties and a bra, some walk around town with a bald head and beard but wearing a dress and some of us do the best we can to look and act like women. If you are a dude in a dress, Joe, Bob, Bill, etc. is fine. If you are trying to portray a woman, it just seems logical and natural to have a female name.

Ressie
10-24-2016, 08:21 AM
For me, using a femme name just adds to the fun.

Karen

I love this answer. No reason to get so serious about why IMO.

I also agree with Krisi.^

Periwinkle
10-24-2016, 01:03 PM
I just use my regular name when I'm out and about. People can think whatever they want, all I want to do is wear pretty things.

~Joanne~
10-24-2016, 01:14 PM
I agree with Krisi, using a male name while dressed fully as a woman just doesn't make much sense. I also agree with Karla, it's easier for communication while out with the SO shopping for clothing or whatever. It's funny cause "Joanne" being brought up while out is a niece that doesn't exist when my SO feels the need to use it and i am not against it. She is very supportive and accepting so she can do that if she wants. She doesn't call me Joanne though while I am dressed, it's always "hon". That's how I know she doesn't see me as a third person or whatever.

Martina
10-24-2016, 01:45 PM
depends how you derive your name,
I hadn't thought about it until I joined the forum and then it was easy for me because my female name is very close to my male name . I personally feel happier having a name that fits with the way I prefer to dress.

I am very much like Teresa; in that my female name is close to my male name.
My female name is an extension of my male name by adding an 'A' at the end I become my female inner self.

Martina

reb.femme
10-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Talk about causing people to look and go WTH? Look Marge its a damn crossdresser get the pitchforks and the gasoline.

Brilliant Tracii,

I'm sat in a pub in a very rainy Bristol, all made up and that made my gut chuckle and my shoulders to bounce up and down.

Becky :rofl:

Micki_Finn
10-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Simple for me. When I go out dressed it's with the intention of blending. My wife saying "Hey Bob" kind of defeats the purpose. (Bob not my real name btw)

Jane G
10-24-2016, 03:56 PM
I tend to think of it as just another middle name I have. But one that I use more that my other. I also find I use it in my head when I'm giving myself a talking too, in any sort of pressure situation, regardless of how I am dressed. Works for me any how.

Christina Page
10-25-2016, 12:37 AM
My name Chris works for both male and female mode. Early in my marriage, I liked to order lingerie for my wife from Victoria Secrets. Even though I entered "Chris" in the shipping & billing info, VS catalogs started showing up addressed to "Christina". My wife noticed this and started calling my femme self Christina. So basically VS named me and my wife confirmed it.

I like the name Christina better than the name Chrissy which I used to call my femme self back when I was single.

Nowadays, when we are out shopping together, me in drab, when my wife sees something that she thinks would look good on my femme self, she'll ask "Do you think Christina would like this?". We talk about Christina in the 3rd person. If I say yes, she'll help purchase the item to save me embarrassment. My wife is awesome :-)

phili
10-28-2016, 09:13 AM
I obviously decided not to create a female persona- I'm not super happy with my given name, perhaps because it was my father's name, so never could be all mine. I am toying with changing it to Tom, and that would be my name no matter how I am dressed.

Allison Chaynes
11-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Samantha, I understand 100%. I have realized that I am one person with multiple sides. I see some in our community who almost seem to create a fantasy character as a form of escapism, others who really ARE that female side and may be in the wrong body, some who are just guys who like wearing women's clothing, and then there are others of us who feel like they are not just male or female, but both.

Cheryl T
11-06-2016, 01:50 PM
I didn't create a female persona, it was always within me. Allowing it to surface and grow dictated the need for adopting a female name.
When I'm dressed, whether in my home or out in public, the last thing I want is to be seen or identified as a male. I don't feel male, I don't act male and I don't look male. Why would I want to be called by a male name?

lara_cd
11-06-2016, 02:18 PM
I would have to say, personally, that when I am dressed en femme, that being Lara is more feminine than going by my male name. When I dress I feel pretty and sexy, and using my guy name takes from that for me. Bill Shakespeare once said that "All the worlds a stage and we are merely players", so when dressed I choose to be a different player.

Lara

CynthiaD
11-06-2016, 03:33 PM
My female persona was always with me, I didn't have to create it. I chose a female name because I hate my male name, and I wanted a name that matches how I feel about myself. I never refer to myself in the third person, because my female persona is the real me. My male persona is, at best, completely fake, and hardly worth referring to at all.

ClosetED
11-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Samantha - I have considered this as well. But consider the match or of a coin being a person. We normally show the "heads" side (not sure if this is USA phrase) but if you turn the coin over, it has another side. What do you all it? You call the entire item 'coin', but the other side we call "tail" (no pun intended but fun to consider). So a femme name is just a simpler way to refer to the feminine presentation of us the coin. To make it clearer to others which presentation / mindset we are referring to.
Does that make sense?
Hugs, Ellen

Kiwi
11-06-2016, 09:55 PM
I don't have a female persona, I am the same whatever clothes I am in. But I feel I have a slightly feminine personality to begin with.
As for a name, it is hard to feel feminine with a name that means son. I have a female name that I occasionally use with online games, but in places where I am not playing a character I try to get some variation on Kiwi.

Julogden
11-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Do whatever you want, but don't make the foolish mistake of thinking that your solution should be anyone else's solution.

Dana44
11-07-2016, 12:14 PM
You can be who you want to be. But many of us it is not a different personality and we go out a lot and it is a given that i don't give my male name, as feminine s I might be and somewhat passing it would make no sense to have a male name at that time.

Clodagh
11-07-2016, 01:03 PM
For me it's just an online thing really, which makes sense. I'm generally alone when dressed so it doesn't arise in real life.

Lea
11-07-2016, 01:43 PM
My wife is very accepting. However one of the few things she does not do is directly call me Lea.

When we are out shopping she will ask if Lea needs anything, or wants anything.

For me it is just a part of dressing. I do not go through shaving, plucking, foundation garments, makeup and everything else and not want to be called by my feminine name.

Marianne S
11-08-2016, 06:57 PM
This is all very interesting. It just goes to show how different some of us are. I always thought taking a female name was automatic. It was completely spontaneous with me, virtually from the beginning when I was only thirteen or thereabouts (can't be sure of the exact age). If I wanted to fantasize being a girl, it only seemed natural to "put on" a female name along with putting on a skirt. It wouldn't make any more sense to be wearing a masculine name than it would to be wearing, say, a clunky pair of men's boots along with nylons, bra and panties.

In the beginning I saw myself as Anne. A few years later I changed it to Marianne. When I heard about other CDs like myself, I also learned that taking a female name is common practice, and I simply assumed this was universal, as spontaneous as it had been with me. It surprised me to discover that some people hadn't thought about doing the same, or only adopted a female name because they needed a handle for a forum like this one, or simply because it's what everybody else was doing. I've been Marianne pretty much all my adult life.

But I think the explanation Krisi and others gave here is enlightening, and makes perfect sense to me.

If you see yourself simply as a man who just happens to love feminine things or expressing a feminine side--"a dude in a dress," as Krisi so succinctly put it--then you see all this as part of a single, integrated personality which incidentally happens to be male at the core--even if it's taken a while to accept all that and integrate it more fully, as it has for you, Samantha. In that case it may seem natural to retain a male name.

In contrast, anyone who sees themselves as "trapped in the wrong body," and wanting to become female in every respect, will naturally want to take a female name and will probably prefer to use it all the time, discarding the male name altogether.

However, for anyone like myself, and I dare say a good many others here, dressing is a part of a fantasy of actually being female part of the time--though not all of the time! It may also have sexual implications, as it does for me and many others, even though we're not gay. (Or not necessarily gay, I should say in deference to others!) We may have both masculine and feminine sides to our personality, but in a bodily sense we can't actually be both male and female at the same time. Hermaphroditism aside, even in our imagination we have to be either one or the other at any given time. If any detail, including a name, leads us to think of ourselves as male, that can only detract from the vision of ourselves as female--and vice versa.

I'm sure that not everyone is like me in this respect, but I mostly prefer to think of myself as either my male self or as Marianne at any given time. I don't like to mix the two together. As a male I don't "underdress" for instance. I prefer to feel purely male. For the same reason, it wouldn't be natural for me to dress as a female and "contaminate" that vision with a male name.

I've never seen anything "hypocritical" about imagining, or adopting, different roles at different times. As long as we don't use this to deceive others, or ourselves, we're all free to enjoy being whoever we want to be in our imagination.

irene9999
11-08-2016, 07:07 PM
For me it's about giving my "femme" side a name, it'd be weird if I just went by my male name while in a dress, heels and makeup; at the end of the day I feel like the same person but prettier

Exris
11-08-2016, 07:29 PM
So why do we choose to have a female name? A big part of crossdressing seems to be creating a female alter ego with a female name in order to express our feminine sides but recently I’m starting to question why I create a female persona at all.

I’m a happily married heterosexual man and It has taken me a long time to feel comfortable with the fact that I’m a crossdresser.

However it never really felt right referring to my feminine side as a seperate person, it felt like I was using this female character as an excuse not to face up to the fact that ‘I am a crossdresser’ now as I gain more and more self acceptance I’m finding that its much more helpful to think about my feminine side as me because after all that is what it is.

I’m also finding that its easier to talk to my wife if I’m talking about me rather than an imaginary third person. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that if anyone is struggling with the idea of being a crossdresser then perhaps it might help to think in this way.

I'm also thinking about changing my profile name because I'm being hypocritical otherwise :)

Agree with Sam 100%.

The only difference is my name is not female... exactly. Exris in the online world exists. She has fans even, albeit a small number.

She is a max level Mage in WoW. She is a pretty good one. As a Mage she will hit very hard in battle... wearing nothing but cloth "armor". The warriors/paladins/DK's will stand in front of her protecting her from the raid boss... getting beat up and causing minimal damage to him... whilst she rains down hell on him.

She sometimes gets hurt bad in raids. Real bad. But she's anything but defenseless.

Works for me. It would be tempting to choose a name I like. Victoria for instance. But I have no connection to that. Ultimately we are all leading some level of fantasy unless we go full on elective. Then it changes... and I have little to offer if the thread spins that way. For me tho this works. She is real to me. I know her. She is fierce as hell and a force any plate armor wearing buffoon had better stay well clear of in a PvP zone. And I have spent (gametime - real logged on time) 2 years with her.

I know her as well as I know myself.

S. Lisa Smith
11-08-2016, 08:21 PM
When I am crossdressed, I am Lisa. I speak in the best female voice I can muster and try to look like a "well put together" woman. I can't explain it any better than that...