PDA

View Full Version : Watch the pictures!

Maria 60
10-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Just a few days ago I'm reading a thread from Miss Mandy about watch what you post because you can easily be outed, and a lot of us here can't afford that to happen. Well I found out it is easier then that to get outed and I didn't need any computer skills at all.
I have to be careful how I explain this because maybe as I'm writing how I outed someone else I could easily out myself.
A few years back a friend of mine was renovating a restaurant bar and I took, let's call it a fixture. I refurbished it and modified it so one day I would incorporate it in my basement, when I decided to ever finish it.
Well the fixture sat in my garage for 10 years and my friend asked me if I wanted to sell it, because he was building a house for someone who would have a great interest in it. Seeing it sat there for ten years and I didn't touch my basement at that time, and not to mention my basement still isn't finished, he came to see it and I sold it. Once he finished his house he invited me for a drink and to see how he incorporated it into his home.
Well last night I was looking at some pictures on another site, and I'm not one to try to see the male behind the wig and make-up, I take it at face value and respect that I'm looking at a women. The picture came up of a woman sitting at a bar and I look at the hair then make-up, the wardrobe and then down the legs and of course the shoes. I flick to the next pic and something about the wood work of the bar caught my eye, my friend is very maticulur about the way he works, almost like always trying to be unique and almost putting his own stamp on his work. I start looking into it further and look up and my heart started beating fast because there it was, my fixture, and I know it's mine I did it myself, now I look at the face and there he was now clear as day. WOW!
I turn to my wife and show her the pic, God bless my wife she is the most layed back nothing fases her type person, all she said was" OH there's that piece of junk that was in the garage, and maybe you could call him because Im always looking for a friend to hang out with dressed. I didn't expect that answer but, this is just an example on how easy it is. So now I start viewing my pics that I don't post now but maybe one day who knows, and I notice because I'm so focused on looking at myself in the picture I neglect what I'm showing around. Most of my pics have family pictures that my kids can easily been seen, on another one there was a mirror image of my wife watching TV in the other room. WOW! It's that easy, that's all it takes, the wrong background. So I believe that in the future we should be careful and I thought I would share this as an example. Well I hope to help,others here I didn't out myself.

DIANEF
10-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Interesting tale. I've recently started taking pictures of myself when dressed, just for reference purposes, and there are some very obvious background features that anyone who has visited me would recognise. I've now started going through them and photo-shopping those features out.

Teresa
10-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Maria,
Thanks for a great story, It is surprising how we could be outed.

It does raise the point I've often made when we worry about the small community around us finding out about our dressing, the comment I make is we aren't the only Cder, who knows what goes on behind your neighbour's front door ?

So will you say something to him about seeing the picture and possibly mention his Cding ? I think I might have not shown my wife and maybe say something it's great to share with another Cder .

Diane,
In the past I've tried to be careful how much of my home surroundings I show, but now I don't that problem because all my pictures are taken at the hotel where we have our meetings, as the one in my avatar .

Maria 60
10-27-2016, 06:47 PM
I only meet him a few times and it's not like he's a friend or anything. As far as I'm concerned I never seen the pic and if I see him again I will respect his privacy and probably just talk to him as I always do.
What to you think about me making a comment on how great he's keeping the fixture Lol

Jessica May
10-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Great Advice Maria! I still haven't posted any pictures myself, Even my avatar picture is pretty covert as I did some digital art with my photo. I have allways been leary of posting apicture and I guess this is definitely good to keep in mind.

All the best,
Jess

Leslie Langford
10-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Good story, Maria, and a very timely reminder.

I'm very aware of that risk myself, and any pictures of "Leslie" that I have ever posted online that were taken either in my home or some other place that could be connected with me all have a neutral background - usually just a blank wall.

That said, did you ever consider the possibility that the CDing person whom you sold that unique fixture to "wanted" on some level to be outed? Seems odd that s/he could have been so clueless or careless about posting such a traceable picture on-line.

Tracii G
10-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Take your wife's advice LOL

Jenniferathome
10-27-2016, 08:50 PM
So in other words, you, a cross dresser, viewed another cross dresser on a cross dressing site. See a common theme here? I would;t call this "outed" as much as "bonded."

Give him a call

Jenniferathome
10-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Niki, if the site were locked out as you describe, how would have found this site? How would have been able to get a flavor of what this site is and is not?

lingerieLiz
10-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Don't forget that face recognition is getting VERY GOOD. It doesn't matter if you are wearing a wig and makeup. One reason I never post pictures.

Tracy Irving
10-27-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the tip. I take pictures of myself in different outfits. When I view them on the computer I generally look at alignment and focus. The rest is only woods in the backyard but you can't be too careful if you plan to share.

tifftg
10-28-2016, 07:28 AM
A very good reminder. I often crop my photos when inside the house to take out art work or unique features. I do have some outdoor shots that if anyone had been to the house would be a little more obvious. I try to be selective of what gets posted where.

Krisi
10-28-2016, 08:30 AM
I can't claim to be a photographer, but it was one of my hobbies for years. I still remember much of what I learned and of course checking the background in a photo is one of those things. That photo you took of Uncle Bubba seemed like it would be pretty good until you look at it later and there is a telephone pole growing out of his head.

So yes, the background is important and in some cases, a person could put two and two together and figure out something you don't want them to figure out.

I don't have a space in my home that's good for photos, there's "clutter" everywhere. For my avatar photo I removed the background with editing software.

ClosetED
10-28-2016, 08:33 AM
As Jennifer said, this was posted to CD site, viewed by another CD. It is not outing yourself to the general misunderstanding society.
The backgrounds I have used in my hundreds of posted pics may be recognizable to a person who came to my house. But if they are a member here and they let me know they now knew, I would have a better friend. One couple we are friends with had a pair of fraternal twins who each considered they were TS of the others gender. They both backed off of that, but the parents are certainly understand of transgender.
Does that other site allow PMs? If you sent the person a message that complimented the picture, maybe waited for a reply and then mention you used to have a fixture just like that but gave it to a close friend who seems to have a lot in common with yourself, it might break the ice gently.
Hugs, Ellen

Charlessa
10-29-2016, 12:39 PM
i don't worry at all about it. i'm posting as a crossdresser. so anyone who sees my pictures are looks at crossdressers for a reason