PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Halloween

Helen_Highwater
11-02-2016, 08:32 PM
On this side of the pond Trick or Tread has spread to some extent. There's a resistance to Trick Or Treating as it's seen as a foreign import, not British, huff huff rather! In truth, I'm of that opinion. Globalisation has it's place but certain national traditions need protecting. I don't feel that in terms of crossing the pond the same is true of the phenomenon of dressing in costume for Halloween. It just hasn't happened at all other than dressing as a vampire or zombie.

This is were I become a hypocrite. Oh how it would be great to have the chance to dress using Halloween as an excuse. I'd be out there, trying of course to look like this was definitely a once a year thing, strutting my stuff. Them, "So how come you can walk so well in heels?". Me, "Err, can't everyone?".
Them, "You must have spent a bit on getting that look just right". Me, "All off eBay".

Envy, just pure envy.

DIANEF
11-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Helen, how true!! We have been bombarded for weeks by TV adverts about Halloween, then it's over in a flash and all the stuff is in the bargain bin at the supermarket. Maybe oneday it will catch on like it is in the US and we may get our chance to 'strutt our stuff' on October 31!

Dana44
11-02-2016, 09:00 PM
LOL trick or treat, give me something fun to eat. It is a good time and yep when you go to a party and are comfortable in the heels strutting your stuff. But when area that you are not out to everybody, that is a time. to show yourself.

Meghan4now
11-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Wait,

According to what I've read, beggars night at All Hallowmas, now halloween, has its origin, or at least long history in the UK countries and Ireland, including begging, tricks, songs and costumes. Did merry old England loose it's soul when it lost control of the colonies? Or maybe two world wars and Victorian stiffer upper lips beat all the fun out of the place? Sorry Helen, you just need to Drag your but over here and party with us. You will be quite welcome!!

Fair warning though. Even though the beer is now quite good (again) we do prefer it cold.

lara_cd
11-02-2016, 11:39 PM
"So how come you can walk so well in heels?

I just said that I had practiced so I wouldn't break an ankle...lol
And when people asked where I got my stuff from my easy answer was "The internet"

Lara

docrobbysherry
11-03-2016, 12:49 AM
It doesn't work that way over here, exactly. If u dress as a woman and look good on Halloween , you're outing yourself.

If u wish to pass as a woman at Halloween here u should wear a costume. Because most GG's do! And, their first choice is usually something sexy!:D

kayegirl
11-03-2016, 03:56 AM
Yes Megnan4 now, you are right, halloween does have its origins in the old country. But it was has a solemn religious festival, All Hallows or All Saints Day, and I understand that it is still marked as such, particularly in the Catholic Church. So, no Merry Old England has not lost its sense of fun, or gained a Victoriana stiff upper lip. We don't need an excuse to get out there and party. Might I suggest that you get your butt across the pond to Manchester, or Leeds, to mention just two places where you can strut your stuff, in safety and in public, at any time of tea year.

Meghan4now
11-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Kaye,

Thanks for the invite! A fine suggestion. I've been in the Newcastle Durham area but last time was 2000, on business, and I was so far in the closet, I could see Narnia.

I am Catholic, and all saint day is Nov 1, thus hallows Eve is the night before. But records show that it wasn't Entirely solemn. Like Mardi Gras is before Ash Wednesday and Christmas Eve are big party time in many places. Last chance before a holy day!

I was just teasing a little. You UK girls seem to have this CD stuff down pretty well. Who WOULDN'T want to hang with you!

P.S. I visited my Namesake castle when I was there

Tracii G
11-03-2016, 07:00 AM
If you can dress up on Halloween you can dress up any other day of the year its just on this site some don't seem to get it.
Sherry makes a good point if its Halloween wear a costume to be like a GG.

Teresa
11-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Helen,
It's the first year I've had chance to do it, as I have to drive thirty miles for my meetings I chose not to go the Halloween theme with heavy makeup, it happened to coincide with Trafalgar Day so I went with that as you can see if you look back in the picture section. We hoped to raise some money for charity but it didn't happen but we are working on it.
It was graeat to see so many wives and partners dressing for the evening and joining in the fun.

Helen_Highwater
11-03-2016, 11:52 AM
And while we're on Trick or Treat I heard something on the radio the other day. Chocolate covered sprouts, yep that's right, Chocolate covered sprouts. The kids think they're getting a treat but the trick's on them.

Lana Mae
11-03-2016, 09:00 PM
I am not really into Halloween but if the US gurls decide to fly over the pond to visit the Brit gurls let me know!! LOL hugs Lana Mae

HelenR2
11-05-2016, 02:52 PM
I reckon chocolate covered sprouts would go well with cheesy peas, especially with Christmas coming up.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHG9WAqAE_Q

Julogden
11-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Yes Megnan4 now, you are right, halloween does have its origins in the old country. But it was has a solemn religious festival, All Hallows or All Saints Day, and I understand that it is still marked as such, particularly in the Catholic Church. So, no Merry Old England has not lost its sense of fun, or gained a Victoriana stiff upper lip. We don't need an excuse to get out there and party. Might I suggest that you get your butt across the pond to Manchester, or Leeds, to mention just two places where you can strut your stuff, in safety and in public, at any time of tea year.

My understanding is that it predates the Christian holidays. The Christian church deliberately put their holidays on old pagan holidays when they were trying to bring the pagans in and convert them. It goes way back to the Celtic pagan Samhain.