PDA

View Full Version : Well hello Narnia, how ya been?

carrie001
11-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Considering recent events, has anyone thought about going back in the closet? I'm only out to a few people and it wouldn't be very difficult to hide again. "Nothing to see here. Just your average mid-40's cis-gendered white dude....move along." I'll admit to being very afraid of continuing to come out to people.

Micki_Finn
11-11-2016, 06:34 PM
No. it's more important now than ever to be strong, not cower, and let them know that this is a nation of acceptance and love.

Dana44
11-11-2016, 06:47 PM
I agree Mikki, not time to hide now.

Lorileah
11-11-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm going to let this thread keep going but remember there are rules., NO POLITICS either side ok? If you want to discuss TG issues in general, go for it. Mention of either party or candidate will get this thing shut faster than a speeding bullet

Claudia D
11-11-2016, 09:47 PM
I am not sure I have ever been in the closet. As soon as I get home from work (I guess I'm in a work closet?? :tongueout ) I'm out of drab clothes and into my normal clothes. Although after the recent events I almost reconsidered my clothing choices for my US vacation starting tomorrow.

After thinking about it for a while my thoughts were that people are generally good or really don't care too much about how you present yourself. You want blue hair - no problem. You want to pierce your nose, ear, chin, lip, etc - no problem. You want to wear a skirt - no problem. You want to wear pants with the crotch at your knees (one of my pet peeves but.....) - no problem I'm not going to say anything to you.

So anyway tomorrow I am flying off to Phoenix and I am going to wear my favourite skirt and enjoy myself.

Thanks,
Claudia :hugs:

Rachael Leigh
11-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Going backwards is never a good idea, we are people just like everyone else, nothing to see here move on

Nikkilovesdresses
11-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Isn't prudence always a good idea?

I can't think that 'recent events' would move a redneck brother-in-law to go on the rampage on a Wednesday when he'd have restrained himself 2 days earlier. But then I don't live in redneck country.

Jaylyn
11-12-2016, 12:20 PM
I can't see anything happening different from what we dresses do, especially on dressing or not dressing. Really who in a higher leadership position could care if we buy a dress? The more dresses, makeup and clothing in general that is sold is good for the economy. I live in a redneck (as some call them) area but most rednecks around here are more accepting of the term " to each his own". I mean I wear cowboy boots to work in mostly because of rattlesnakes n plants that can stick barbs in you, I like my jacked up pickup truck, hunting, fishing and being a country boy. I'm not out but it's because of my promise to my wife and that 99% of my relatives wouldn't understand. If you are out of the closet already why would you be afraid of continuing to come out. You have the right to live as you see fit with the only exception being if you are breaking a law. There isn't a law I know of that says we can't dress in what we want. We should just keep on doing what we are doing. I say live your life to the fullest.

Pat
11-12-2016, 04:35 PM
The day after the "event" I got up, put on my usual outfit and went for a six mile walk to clear my head. Along the way, I decided to heed the advice of the Brits -- "Keep Calm and Carry On." Next day I dressed especially nice and went out and did my normal round of banking, shopping and whatever. The bank manager still smiled and introduced me to the newest employee. The grocery store clerks demanded to see my nails, "You always have great colors!" Everyone in my town knows me; they know what i'm like. I'm determined that if someone talks to them and says bad things about transgender people, I will be the example they hold up to say, "Wait, I know a transgender person and they're OK." ;)

silknrachel
11-12-2016, 10:30 PM
While the recent events have been frightening, closing up and hiding justifies people being bigots. Progress in your own life shouldn't be effected by a revolving national dialogue. No matter who is running the country there will be people who disapprove of any not "mainstream" lifestyle.

On a side note I just got done watching the Chronicles of Narnia with my family. :)

docrobbysherry
11-13-2016, 12:38 AM
America has always been about freedom and equality. I believe most of our populace strongly believes in the Constitution and will support minorities that r trod on for simply being different. Especially if they r just trying to live their lives according to law and not bothering anyone.

I think it's important now more than ever to stand together and support each other, our LGBT sisters and brothers, and all other minorities whose rites may come under attack!:Angry3:

Bailey_in_Mansfield
11-16-2016, 12:30 AM
Honestly, I've been telling MORE people about my habits lately. Not in any sort of way that's related to current events, but just because I feel like I can better cope with not being born female if I have people I can talk with about it, and I've been fortunate enough to have several lately. None of them has too much potential to harm me professionally or personally if it turns out I trusted the wrong person...but back to your point, no. I've not considered it.

Beverley Sims
11-16-2016, 11:22 AM
The present situation will pass, it is just a bump in the road.

Just stay safe and don't try to score points.

Going back in the closet is a retrograde step and you will have to start all over again.

carrie001
11-16-2016, 03:06 PM
I appreciate all of the input and opinions. I can honestly say I won't be going backwards, but for the time being I can't see myself expanding my "inner circle of trust."