PDA

View Full Version : Do you "Practice" before you go

sara66
11-17-2016, 05:03 PM
I am all dressed up getting ready for my second outing on Monday. Does anyone else like to try out the outfit and makeup before going out. Or do just go with the flow. I think if I went out frequently it would be different. For now I want to make sure things look ok.
Sara

Elizabeth G
11-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Hi Sara,

Since my opportunities to dress are pretty limited I don't necessarily practice but I do some very thorough planning as to my outfit. As for makeup I an in desperate need of practice but again with limited opportunity I have to just go for it or schedule a makeover.

Elizabeth

AllieSF
11-17-2016, 06:00 PM
I always did that in the past just to make sure that when I was getting ready to go out, the clothes, jewelry, jacket and purse were all selected and at hand to get me out of the house quicker. Once I accumulated too many tops, skirts and dresses, it also became a moment to try different combinations for future moments out in the City. I don't do it as much as before, but it can be a lot of fun and a great learning moment to help me define what works for me and how to combine different items of clothing and accessories. Have fun.

ellbee
11-17-2016, 06:13 PM
I sort of do that a bit these days, usually with a new pair of leggings that I wear in guy-mode.

When buying, I take into consideration of: Could I reasonably wear these out in public? Or are they way too femmy even for me to do that, and instead keep them to at-home wearing only?

And sometimes, depending on colors & patterns, they arguably fall in-between. For those, I test the waters first. Throw 'em on & look in the mirror... I usually have my answer by then.

But even at that point, sometimes I'll still be on the fence. So if I'm feeling more confident/brave one day, I'll wear 'em for a quick trip to the post office, for example, on perhaps a slow day/time. And if I find I had nothing to be so concerned about it, I'll step it up for those on another day... Maybe somewhere where I'm that much more visible to a lot more people for a lot longer.

Obviously over time, your confidence can grow. And what you might have been a bit nervous about before, is no longer any big deal.

Nothing wrong with a dry-run at home before you step out that door. :)

Rachael Leigh
11-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Hey Sarah I think yes it's a good idea to practice or have it all thought out, I mean most of us didn't grow up learning all
of the in and outs of being a girl.

I do make it out at least 2 or 3 times a week now and while it makes it easier now for me to get ready I still struggle with
my look and outfit but for me that's what makes it fun so enjoy

Kandi Robbins
11-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Obviously, you want to be comfortable while you are out, especially only your second time. You don't need to ask, you need to do what makes you comfortable. If trying everything out, practicing, give you that comfort, go for it! I try on every outfit a few times before walking out the door. Since I've been out frequently, make up has become second nature, so that doesn't get a trial run.

Kate Simmons
11-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Not any more. Just pick out the outfit and go with it. :)

sara66
11-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Kandi,
I not seeking affirmation. I was wondering how many people did the same thing.
Sara :battingeyelashes:

irene9999
11-17-2016, 08:00 PM
I do like to see what the outfit I will wear looks like so I do practice putting it on before going out in it. I also used to practice my femme walk but I think I got the hang of it now

Kandi Robbins
11-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Kandi,
I not seeking affirmation. I was wondering how many people did the same thing.
Sara :battingeyelashes:

Understood, my point was that this is very different for all of us and you need to do what makes you the most comfortable. There is an old saying: practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

Tracii G
11-17-2016, 08:22 PM
No I pick an outfit, do my hair and make up then out the door.

Taylor186
11-17-2016, 08:29 PM
For me, trying things on before I go out is a must. I don't want any unnecessary wardrobe malfunctions while out and about.

I spent three weeks fine tuning my outfit and makeup for my recent Halloween outing. And, I wore my heels around the house for days and days to get them (and me) broken in properly. Good thing is I have an understanding wife.

ImJessicaNow
11-17-2016, 09:38 PM
I love practicing and doing small touchups and checking myself out before I go anywhere.

Diane Smith
11-17-2016, 10:54 PM
I often try a few different outfit combinations a day or two before I have an important outing. If it's a less than big deal occasion, I have some "go to" items that I can grab quickly and know they will always work.

- Diane

Adriana Moretti
11-18-2016, 09:19 AM
every once in a while I hold my very own private fashion show, to try on some new clothing combos to see what works together and how many new outfits I can create, that way I know what I have and what works for certain occasions, so when it comes to the night before, i can just pick out what outfit i want to go with. Sometimes i nerd out and write them down. Last week I got these great over the knee boots, so i started putting together outfits with them, this weekend I will wear 2 of them after all it IS boot season xoxo

Krisi
11-18-2016, 09:38 AM
If you only dress (as a woman) when you go out in public, you may find you have problems with outfits or makeup. If you often dress at home, that's the "practice" you are referring to. When I go out, I've already worn the outfit at home a few times so I know how it fits and how it looks on me. I find that dressing at home often helps me to feel more comfortable in my wig, boobs and butt as well as the clothing.

S. Lisa Smith
11-18-2016, 10:02 AM
I like to preview an outfit that I haven't worn before I go. If I know how it looks on me, then I don't.

Jackie7
11-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Yes Lisa, nice to see you here, I do the same, try out every new outfit around the house before I go out in it, not so much practice as to make sure it actually works and stays the way I like it as I move around.

Stephanie47
11-18-2016, 01:15 PM
I think it all depends upon where and what you're doing when you go out. It also depends upon how comfortable you are if the worst happens while you are out.

I am an in-home cross dresser who goes out for evening drives with a stroll in mind. I mentally have put together my outfit which is always a dress. Every dress I have worn at least once around the house. I choose a dress that is knee length to midi. I choose a low heel that is 'chunky' and not spiked. Getting ready does no take time at all. Since this is a 'private affair' I forego the nail polish and any makeup that may be difficult to remove. So, a little lip color, some eye brow pencil and rouge and I am ready. There are other things I prepare for before I slide into my car.

Part of my preparation is make sure my gas tank in full. I make sure all my lights are working. I pack my 'man bag' so I can change if I need to. I stay off freeways where the distance between exits are far between.

Cheryl T
11-18-2016, 02:27 PM
I just get ready and go...if I don't have it together by now I never will.

Jane G
11-18-2016, 02:41 PM
I don't go out. But I still try on two or three out fits whenever I dress, until I find the one that fits the mood. It's the most fun part of dressing, isn't it? Make up is just make up. Clothes, they can be fun.

Lana Mae
11-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Every dress up at home is practice for going out. I do not just do a practice session just before going out. I go over in my head the planned outing just before and then dress and go! Just my 2 cents! Hugs Lana Mae

docrobbysherry
11-19-2016, 01:19 AM
I rarely do a big event without a complete dress rehearsal. Meeting the girls at the club doesn't require that much advanced preparation.

I spend weeks ahead of cross country T gatherings putting together different outfits for each particular evening or day event. When u open your bag in Minnesota and decide that wig or shoes doesn't go with your outfit? You're screwed!:doh:

SarahSerene
11-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Sometimes there are days where I'd like to go out but I'm pinned down in boy mode. Example - needing a day or two's beard growth prior to an electrolysis appointment. As such, recently my dressing indoors are practice sessions instead of a full-blown spending the day as Sarah. Maybe I work on breaking in a new pair of shoes (or just practice walking in them). I also use the time to experiment with different makeup techniques. My last practice session I experimented with how fast I could get ready and still do a good job.

BLUE ORCHID
11-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Hi Sara:hugs:, It is great to do a practice run when ever you can but sometimes just dress and go...:daydreaming:...

Jillian Faith
11-19-2016, 08:28 AM
every once in a while I hold my very own private fashion show, to try on some new clothing combos to see what works together and how many new outfits I can create, that way I know what I have and what works for certain occasions, so when it comes to the night before, i can just pick out what outfit i want to go with. Sometimes i nerd out and write them down. Last week I got these great over the knee boots, so i started putting together outfits with them, this weekend I will wear 2 of them after all it IS boot season xoxo

This is typically the approach I take, (Mini fashion shows) trying on different combinations of outfits and discussing with with my (fashion advisor) wife what works together and what doesn't and what venue or event I would wear a particular outfit.

Barbara Black
11-19-2016, 09:44 AM
I usually dress by the weather indicator. Up here in Wisconsin, it's usually, find a long, heavy skirt, and then match it with a blouse or shirt and jewelry. I don't go out much other than driving while dressed, so I usually overdress a bit, just to satisfy myself. I will have to look for any 'heavier' and long dresses I might have since it's already snowing up here.

Teresa
11-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Sara,
I always try out the outfits I think I'm going to wear, just to see if I have the right shoes and accessories , if I really don't like the basic dress or skirt it's useful the see why and if it's possible to make it work. Sometimes a nice belt is all it needs or a little tuck in the waist , I guess it comes back to how you want to present yourself, I try and dress for the right circumstances or what I think a GG would wear in the same situation.

I go out once a month and wish it were more but I do enjoy that part of CDing and the shopping that goes with it.

CartoonistChick
11-20-2016, 06:46 AM
Thank god for boot season too, as I quickly discovered that I absolutely love boots!! :D

Jaymees22
11-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Hi, Yes I usually like to do a trial run before going out. To make sure everything looks as I thought it would and not to have any wardrobe malfunctions. Also good to evaluate if your wearing the correct under garments, sometimes there can be lumps and bumps you weren't expecting. Hugs Jaymee