PDA

View Full Version : TDR a time of reflection....time with folks from the local university

mykell
11-21-2016, 08:55 AM

to start i would like to thank the folks who make this place available to us....not a small task im sure, this of coarse especially includes our mods.....

just under a week ago i was asked to prepare a candlelight vigil for trans day of remembrance at the venue i hold my meet-ups.

so i then had to research it a bit and found some info printed out the names of our lost souls and prepared a little statement....as the day of the event approached i found myself getting nervous.....will they like what ive prepared....how will i get ready with my wife at home, (she knows but does not want to see it) what kind of candles.... yes i even let silly stuff bother me.

well i composed myself some the day of and prepared myself for the task at hand, like usual i underdressed and placed my things in the car, boobs, purse, shoes, and wig, while i left my wife to finish watching the football game.

i had arrived early and asked the staff if it was ok to flip myself there...they said not a problem but i have to say i missed my dashboard vanity, they have poor lighting there.

we had a small turn out and as everyone set things up several of the folks i hadnt yet met introduced themselves.....a little past start time we proceeded, i did not use the prepared statement i simply winged it......from my heart then we all took turns reading the names and pausing to light a candle for them.

after i felt so releaved, everyone took an opportunity to reflect what it meant to them and we then finished lighting the rest of the candles and everyone started chatting it up, i had taken a seat and three women from the local university had come to our event, they were social workers and wanted to come and observe and participate, very nice i thought.

they had been across the room from me and i caught them all chatting and checking me out, in a blink of an eye there they were suddenly standing in front of me when one says hi and we started talking, then one mentions that she loved my shoes, (leopard flats) that i had wore out for the first time, well it was game on from their, they asked and i answered and i never felt weird while chatting with them, very pleasant exchanges.

i had never done anything like this before and was pleased with everything overall and many compliments were offered for how i conducted things,
and i felt really comfortable with the young ladies inquiries about myself.

being with a mix from the LGBT club there was no we do this, no you dont do that......just a common understanding that better days will come.....we just have to stand our ground and work together. a solidarity.

i has been three years since ive joined in here and although it gets a little weird here and there in general i think we make a pretty solid group, were not all in the same mindset, were all at different places, its a learning curve but i think it would be safe for me to say we all want the same thing, respect....to be able to just be ourselves without feeling threatened or in danger of losing our lives because someone just cant understand us.

i hope that day will come and i try to be a good ambassador for that to happen some day.

just wanted to reflect and share my thanks here....

Suzie Petersen
11-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Thank you Mikell!

- Suzie

mykell
11-22-2016, 12:00 AM
thank you suzie.....

Lana Mae
11-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks for sharing! Realized it was TDR when it was almost over. I prayed for all of us. Hugs Lana Mae

mykell
11-23-2016, 09:03 AM
i hadnt planned anything at all myself, i had a conversation with the director of the facility and we put together this plan last minute, nerves get the the best of me when speaking in front of new folks, so when the university ladies showed up it added to it.....its a pretty incomplete list as we talked after, but to not need to have ceremony some day would be a blessing....