PDA

View Full Version : Have you invested in it?

Dee Baker
11-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Earlier this year I took a small portion of my savings and opened a brokerage account with the objective of purchasing stock in two (not related to this post) companies as a long term investment.
Most paydays I transfer a small amount of money to my brokerage account.

In September I decided to start buying stock in Women’s clothing. I bought CHICO'S, Ascena Retail Group (which is Dressbarn, Maurices, Justice, Lane Bryant, Ann Taylor and Catherines) and Hanes Brands.
Then I put in an open order to buy Cato at $31.00 per share and on Nov 17 it reached that price and today I am pleased that Cato closed at $32.50. So happy as Cato is my favorite store, they have such great deals. I currently have an open order to purchase NEW YORK & COMPANY at $2.00 a share.

I have lost some money in a couple stocks and made some money in others. I do have a lot to learn about this. I recently got an e-mail from the lady that manages the brokerage company locally telling me about classes they have and offering individual assistance. Wait till she sees my portfolio. Lol

Do you trade any stock?

ellbee
11-21-2016, 10:11 PM
I've toyed with the idea in the past. Came close to pulling the trigger a few times, too.

Only problem with that sector is retail -- and especially when it's women's fashion, which can be fickle, even season to season -- can be a tough arena to play in, especially with relatively higher fixed costs while carrying a larger debt-load, to boot. Throw in low margins & no real competitive advantage, and it could be a recipe for disaster.

Not saying you can't make $$ on any swings with short-term trading, or catch a growth-story early enough in its life & hold onto the potential ride up over the years, but I've personally found easier & better ways to utilize funds.

It is a neat little spin to it all, though. Your money, so invest how you want & like. :)

Jaylyn
11-21-2016, 10:46 PM
I dabbled in the stocks a little but finally gave up. I broke about even which I thought was a good deal besides I needed the money for a new bass boat...

Tracii G
11-21-2016, 10:57 PM
I have messed with the stock market and mostly in pharmacutical companies.
This was in the 80's before everybody called them evil big pharma.
Dow chemical,Ashland Oil and Exxon.Oil and gas futures.
Markets are always up and down so don't get excited if you are going long term.
Do a search on your broker and see what their track record is and where the stand as far as their fees.
Most brokers try to up sell you stuff so they get their commission weather you make any money or not so keep that in mind and watch out for a sales pitch.
My Dad always told me invest in what you want not what some broker is trying to pawn off on you.
I worked for Super Valu grocery chain for 25 years and held their stock and bought some every pay period so that built up to a tidy sum when I retired.
Low risk global markets are not bad they seldom loose money and grow but slowly so they are a decent long term investment.

Phoebe Reece
11-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Yes, I trade. It takes a bit of time to research stocks and you need to be on the alert for things that happen in specific sectors. I have had some winners and losers over the years, but my winners have far outpaced my losers. If you don't have a lot of time to spend on research it's best in the long run to find a good mutual fund, put your money there, and keep it there for several years before moving it somewhere else.

Heidi Stevens
11-21-2016, 11:59 PM
If you have the time to watch the market, any stock can be a good place to park money. I didn't want to devote such a large portion of time and worry to that. So I found a total market fund and put the same amount in every pay check. (Dollar cost averaging) When I got a raise, my contribution increased too. Bottom line is after 40 years I beat 70% of the so called experts. And I hardly worried over its performance. Good luck!

docrobbysherry
11-22-2016, 12:34 AM
Be very wary of the markets in the future. I predict drastic changes in our economy if our tax codes and market forces r changed. I plan on liquidating all my stocks and bonds by next summer. Before the melt down begins around the end of 2017 or in 2018. :doh:

Remember, u heard it here first!:brolleyes:

Cheryl T
11-22-2016, 03:17 PM
I do trade occasionally but not in things just because I like the store or their products.
Trading that way will lead to disappointment. It's difficult enough to find good stocks looking at the balance sheet the way things fluctuate these days.

Teresa
11-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Dee,
Every time I go for a new investment it appears to be the kiss of death , they just appear to nose dive when they realise whose money it is ! Some are gifted and some aren't but I'd recommend steer clear of any investments I've made unless you have money to burn !!

Jodi
11-22-2016, 04:34 PM
When I worked for NY & Co 13 years ago, they had a stock option to buy with payroll deduction. Over the 2 years I worked there, I put my entire paycheck into stock at between $14-$15/share. I held on to it for about 5 years, and I was notified of a stock buyback at $25/share. I agreed to it and found out they actually paid me $28/share. Not a bad investment.

Surprised it is now at only $2/share. Might be time to throw some money back in. I wonder if they are paying any dividends.

jodi

BLUE ORCHID
11-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Hi Dee:hugs:, I have a great C.F.P. taking care of my retirement , I leave it to the professionals.

I want to be sure that my money out lives me!

40 years in the petroleum industry has served me very well ...:daydreaming:...

kayegirl
11-22-2016, 05:37 PM
I agree with Blue Orchid. Do not understand the stock market, so leave it to my finonchalantly advisor, and so far it's paying off.

Dee Baker
11-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Great tips and advice from all that replied, thank you for your feedback.

This is not my primary or even secondary retirement funds as I am blessed to have that pretty well covered. This is just some money that I invested into (initially just two) stocks in hopes that they would bring a good return. Then decided to have some fun and invest in some of the retailers where I love to shop.

Dee

Shely
11-24-2016, 01:44 PM
You will have a hard time beating an index fund. Really all the research you do is already after the fact nost of the time. the professionals are usually one step ahead of the "Average Joe" in research and moving on that information. Check out the index funds. not as much fun though. Just my opinion though.

TrishaTX
11-24-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm in the business so only guy ETFs and index funds...otherwise I can get into trouble, Too much of a hassle. I find ETF in sectors I like or are battered are the way to go, like Oil for example.

Krisi
11-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Hi Dee:hugs:, I have a great C.F.P. taking care of my retirement , I leave it to the professionals.

Yes, that is what I do and it's good advice. Buying stock (investing) based on emotion (women's clothes) is not a good way to do it.

Nikkilovesdresses
11-28-2016, 10:49 AM
My wife's family lost a very great deal of money to a financial manager who was effectively running a Ponzi scheme, though it seems he did not start out with that intention.

Don't put all your eggs in one guy's basket. If you're offered returns over about 8% be very, very suspicious.

It really can happen to you.

Seana Summer
11-28-2016, 02:47 PM
I occasionally see an opportunity in the stock market and have acted on several of them over the years. I generally buy stock in relatively large companies that are not likely to go bankrupt and I tend to hold for a long time. I recently have wished I would have acted on my last hunch and bought Wells Fargo stock.

I have shied away from "fun" stocks. Right now anything that has anything to do with brick and mortar retail, especially clothing, makes me nervous.

BTW My retirement money, the account that really matters to me, is in an index fund.

Lorileah
11-28-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm losing track here...what does this have to do with crossdressing? Get back on track or this thread is closed