PDA

View Full Version : An encouraging bit of news...

Lauren_T
03-01-2006, 11:31 AM
71 (!!)-year-old teacher is allowed to continue teaching after SRS.

Read the story here. (http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/02/28/teacher.sex.change.ap/index.html)

The next person who says they're "too old to transition" will be slapped! :p

CaptLex
03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
The next person who says they're "too old to transition" will be slapped! :p

LOL, Lauren. I saw this in the news this week and was encouraged, but there was also not-so-good news reported the following day. Another trans-woman, also in her 70's, has continuously been arrested for using the ladies room at Grand Central Station and there was a large protest outside the terminal yesterday in response to her continuously being harrassed by the station's cops.

So the fight continues, but it's good to see some progress. :cool:

Sharon
03-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Check out this thread in the MtF Forum:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24458&highlight=teacher

Lauren_T
03-01-2006, 12:32 PM
D'OH!

pattied
03-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Lex,

I saw that. All charges though have been dropped. (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/03/01/charges_against_transgender_female_dropped/) It appears that NYC still is in major need of education regarding transexuality, even though the law they have on the books states they must have restrooms available for transgendered people, "consistent with their gender identity or gender expression."

Still there is a long way to go before there is any acceptance.

CaptLex
03-01-2006, 04:07 PM
It appears that NYC still is in major need of education regarding transexuality, even though the law they have on the books states they must have restrooms available for transgendered people, "consistent with their gender identity or gender expression."

You said it. From the report I saw, she didn't actually do anything "illegal" since she is legally a woman, but try explaining it to the neanderthals who hauled her out and verbally abused her. I guess it's not enough to have the law on our side, we have to educate the public (and the cops) too. :sad:

Seriosilly GG
03-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I find this pretty amusing, considering NYC even has Crossdressing- themed restaurants, and all sorts of people. I wonder why she was arrested, were GGs complaining? Because then someone can say they feel uncomfortable when a male child accompanies his mother into the ladies' room. I've felt uncomfortable in that situation once because the kid was running around bumping into people and about 8 or 9 years old.

Lex,

I saw that. All charges though have been dropped. (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/03/01/charges_against_transgender_female_dropped/) It appears that NYC still is in major need of education regarding transexuality, even though the law they have on the books states they must have restrooms available for transgendered people, "consistent with their gender identity or gender expression."

Marlena Dahlstrom
03-02-2006, 03:06 AM
I find this pretty amusing, considering NYC even has Crossdressing- themed restaurants, and all sorts of people. I wonder why she was arrested, were GGs complaining?

My understanding from my NYC friends is that the MTA has been making an issue out of transwoman using the women's room in Grand Central Station for some time. Not sure why. But apparently there's always a line and consequently it's easy for someone to get eyeballed while waiting.

MandyTS
03-02-2006, 03:31 AM
I will be in a very simular circumstance in a few years, except it will be high school and I am 24 (25 then). Of course in California the school districts could not fire me because of my intersexed status...

Kaye_martin
03-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Yes, I also thought it was an encouraging bit of news .... there's hope for all of us 'old folk'.

Now for my news ...... I recently started taking hormones (available over the counter where I live) and I feel wonderful on them so far. My wife is OK with all of this. Visiting my doctor on Sunday for my annual check-up and will go through the hormone issue with her to get this whole process on a proper footing :)

kaye_martin