PDA

View Full Version : A fun adventure out

Millie.Graham
12-10-2016, 02:38 AM
Hi All,

I just wanted to share a fun mini adventure I had this week.

But first, some background. I have always had a love for shoes, what girl doesn't right? But shoes are expensive and dressing is a part time thing for me, so it id hard for me to justify spending a lot of money on shoes. Last year I bought some really nice wedges that I just love. They are comfy, fun, and adorable. I have gotten several compliments on them as well. :) They have been my only heeled shoe and I have been dying to get a proper set of heels, but for various reasons have not done so until now.

Now on to the story.

As I said, I have been looking for a nice set of proper heels, nothing to fancy, expensive, or ridicuously high. I have been wanting to stay in the sub 3 inch range. I finally found a pair that I liked and came in my size, a little on the high side, but ok. Whoo Hoo!!! :D So I went and tried them on and they fit nice. Thankfully it appeared that my time with my wedges paid off and I thought I was doing alright as I walked up and down the store aisle a few times, checking fit and look (and that I wouldn't kill myself). They looked nice, felt nice, these were now my heels! I went and paid and took them out to my truck and changed into them when I got to my destination.

Now comes the fun part. Walking across the parking lot and the sidewalk all when well. But when I opened the door and walked inside the building, Oh Boy!!! Walking on tile is a whole lot different than walking on tha carpet in the store. I just about wiped out right there. I quickly recovered my balance turned the corner and went down a flight of stairs and was met with a new challenge. Ahead of me laid about 200 feet of linoleum tile. Oh my! :eek: I felt like I was trying to pogo stick across an ice skating rink. Every couple of steps I felt the heel skid sideways out from under me. About half way down the hall I was seriously considering going back outside and changing shoes. That hall way never felt so long. I managed to survive without falling or breaking anything, but I definitely did not make it to the other end with a lot or grace of composure. Oh, well. A little while later it was time to treverse the hallway of terror once more, I was hungry and it was time to go to lunch. On my way out I floated down the hallway with a steady and confident stride, loving the sound of my new heels clicking on the tile beanth. Ha! Yea, no, I wish... That is not how that went. I tried to walk with my head up, shoulders back and a steady gait, I did a little better than the first time and just cringed as I listened to my heels click on the floor and broadcast to the world, that whoever was walking down that hallway had no business whatsoever wearing a pair of heels. :sad: Having made it outside alive, I was going to ditch my lovely new heels in favor of my trusty, STABLE, wedges, but I screwed up my resolve and wore them to lunch. I decided I would change after lunch. After a wonderful lunch I decided that the only way I was going to get good at wearing heels was to keep practicing and there was no time like the present. I ended wearing them the rest of the day. I definitely need some more practice, hopefully in the not to distant future I will be able to walk in heels instead of stumble in heels :-). But I do love my new heels.

And oh man, after a full day in heels, my feet hurt. It took a couple of days for them to feel normal again.

Thanks for listening,

Melissa

Tracy Irving
12-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Cute story. I am glad you survived without taking a spill. Practice makes perfect.

Maria 60
12-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Thats funny. A few years back the same thing happened to me, I never left the house in heels, one day driving around dressed I decided to get out of the car. I only wore heels at home on hardwood flooring or ceramic tile, well one step out of the car and as soon as my foot hit the road, it gripped and I fell flat on my face. I got up and walked around to get the feel of the road, I did like yourself find you have to make little adjustment depending on the texture you walk on. Must be a women's instinct.

Lisa Roberts
12-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Note to self: never wear heels and walk on a gravel walkway or parking lot. It will chew up the heel and ruin a good pair of shoes! Also a real challenge to keep your balance. 👠👠
Lace and Smiles,
Lisa 💋

Krisi
12-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Walking in public in heels without a lot of practice in private is not a good idea. Get fifty hours or so in them at home and then go out.

PaulaQ
12-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Get fifty hours or so in them at home and then go out.

I thought you never went out? Am I mistaken about this?

Allisa
12-10-2016, 09:25 AM
I've found that wedges are so much more easier to walk in even as the heel grows in height. You made me gasp in horror when you said your first step slid out from under you, I've been there so many times. For me I've found that I was taking a large stride and trying to walk to fast. Once I corrected these I can now traverse just about any surface. Just a reminder please use the hand rail when on stairs when in heels.

Krisi
12-10-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure why this is relevant, but yes, I do go out on occasion. It's rare but I do it. Not usually in heels though because I try to blend and I'm not going out where women normally wear heels. I try to keep a low profile.

One doesn't have to "go out" to realize that a person (male or female) needs to practice wearing heels in private before wearing them in public. Either one looks pretty silly wobbling around and falling down in heels.

For that matter, I would advise crossdressers to spend some time at home in their female outfits just to get used to having breasts, hips, long hair, etc. And also, practice a female walk and female mannerisms as much as possible.

Ressie
12-10-2016, 10:05 AM
50 hours may be needed for some while other pick it up in no time. Some of us don't have the time or freedom to practice walking in heels that long. And as the OP put it, there are surfaces outside the home that may completely throw one off! How about stairs? I can't practice stairs at home since I live in a one story house.

Meghan4now
12-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Great story Melissa, I can relate. I got a new pair of open toed sandals as part of a makeover package. 5"! That was tough. I can walk in them, but that turning under thing still happens a bit. I found a down slope was the worst, even more than stairs. Practice should help. 50 hours is a pretty long time. Most people only walk a few of hours in a day. The rest of the time, most tasks are done seated. At 2 hours of practice a day, that 25 straight days, no time off. Certainly would do it, but that is a big commitment for a part timer.

Majella St Gerard
12-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Walking in wedges is totally different from walking in heels, I actually find walking in heels much easier. Practice is important.

PaulaQ
12-10-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure why this is relevant, but yes, I do go out on occasion. It's rare but I do it. Not usually in heels though because I try to blend and I'm not going out where women normally wear heels. I try to keep a low profile.

I stand corrected, I didn't think you did, my apologies.

For that matter, I would advise crossdressers to spend some time at home in their female outfits just to get used to having breasts, hips, long hair, etc. And also, practice a female walk and female mannerisms as much as possible.

The biggest things you can do if you want to improve your passability is to walk into a room like you own the place. People instantly pick up on nervousness. This is not as easy as it sounds. What you suggest are good tips too.

immindy
12-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience Millie ! I do remember my first time wearing heals several years ago and hearing that click clack on the tile floor, for the first time , in a mall was rather embarrassing as I felt I became the center of attention. I love heals but choose not to wear them , often , because I do not need any extra height being 5' 11" and all. I like how they make the calf muscle stand out making your legs look sexy. I have some nice sandal wedges I wear during the summer with shorts or skirts. They are very comfortable and cute.
My wife is rather short and I have encouraged her to wear heals but she has a hard time in them. It surprises her how well I walk in them. I do have some 5 inch heals but almost never wear them out. A 2 - 3 inch heal is the most I dare to wear, do to my height. About the only time I wear heals out, now, is when I dress up on Sunday for church or when I go out for a nice dinner wearing a nice dress.

SherriePall
12-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Funny, I have one pair of wedges I recently bought and I find them a little harder to walk in than regular 3" heels. Luckily, the floors at my house have carpet, tile, and wood surfaces. Not much of tile and wood, but enough to feel the differences.
Just glad you survived!