PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready Music

Christina D
12-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Does anyone else like to listen to music while getting dressed and/or putting on makeup? Maybe a few artists, albums, songs, or genres that help you feel more in the mood or possibly inspired? Have you ever made a playlist for getting ready?

Personally, I like listening to Lily Allen (usually her first album), especially since she's one of the top GGs I strive to look like. I also like listening to Lady Gaga when getting ready for her energy and very inspiring messages about loving and accepting your body and sexuality. Florence + the Machine also tend to make an appearance.

DIANEF
12-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Not so much when getting ready but once I am ready I do enjoy some music by female singers, PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Tori Amos are some of my favourites. I used to put small in-ear phones on so my wig hair hid all the wires , and then lip-synch the songs as if I were singing them. If anyone ever saw me doing it they would have thought I was slightly mad!

Jaylyn
12-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Music inspires me but not really part of my dressing. I do enjoy either tv or my music after I'm dressed.

Tracy Irving
12-11-2016, 12:35 AM
I like to watch (or at least listen and peek) Say Yes To The Dress while getting ready. Reality TV it is not but there is some entertainment value. Not to mention the gowns!!! I get so jealous.

susan jackson
12-11-2016, 12:44 AM
When I was younger, and I was getting myself glammed up for a night out, I would always put on the Alice Cooper CD 'From The Inside' - the concept album about madness and insanity!

Christina Page
12-11-2016, 12:49 AM
Anyone like to dress to Shania Twain's "Feel like a woman"?

Christina D
12-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Not so much when getting ready but once I am ready I do enjoy some music by female singers, PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Tori Amos are some of my favourites.

Oooo, yes! I'll have to add them to my getting ready playlist! I live for 90s transgressive/riot grrrl rock, too, like Hole, Sleater-Kinney, and Veruca Salt. They make me feel so empowered when I'm dressed.

Micki_Finn
12-12-2016, 06:12 PM
I almost always listen to "Venus as a Boy" by Bjork whenever I'm getting ready. The rest of the playlist can vary but it always starts with that.

DIANEF
12-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Mama, by the Sugarcubes (Bjork on vocals ) is also inspiring.

Tracii G
12-12-2016, 07:32 PM
That subject comes up often here so if you use the search you can read more posts about it.
Personally it sounds silly to play girly songs only when you are CDing or getting ready.Must be a straight guy thing.
Would you feel gay if you played that kind of music if you were under your car working on it?
In the basement working with wood tools making a table?
See where I am going with this?
Guy mode girl mode you will find me listening to something like Black Sabbath,Testament,Overkill, Dio.

CynthiaD
12-12-2016, 07:39 PM
I'll listen to opera at just about any time, but it's not about my ritual or feeling girly.

Christina D
12-12-2016, 08:00 PM
That subject comes up often here so if you use the search you can read more posts about it.
Personally it sounds silly to play girly songs only when you are CDing or getting ready.Must be a straight guy thing.
Would you feel gay if you played that kind of music if you were under your car working on it?
In the basement working with wood tools making a table?
See where I am going with this?
Guy mode girl mode you will find me listening to something like Black Sabbath,Testament,Overkill, Dio.

First of all, even as a straight man, ew. I hate cars and I hate even being around power tools. I don't even change my own wiper fluid.

Second, listening to these songs in any context doesn't make me feel gay. I don't necessarily connect this music to gender and/or sexuality. I've listened to and loved these artists my whole life and very proudly sing along with them in public, even when I'm not crossdressing. If someone else thinks that me liking them makes me gay, that's their problem.

Lastly, I thought I would start this topic not just to talk about music that I like, but to see if listening to a song, artist, etc helps anyone else to get into a female mindset or "character." For example, when I was getting ready today, I wanted to be more of an empowered, independent, "I don't need a man" type of girl, so I listened to female sung songs about that (aka, lots of No Doubt). Tomorrow, I'm going to want to feel a little bit more urban with a touch of glam, so I'll be listening to songs/artists that embody that.

DIANEF
12-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Would you feel gay if you played that kind of music if you were under your car working on it?.

I don't just play 'girl' music when I'm dressed, I listen to it all the time, in the car, doing some DIY, anything really. And I'm also a big metal fan, Rammstein, Metallica. Slayer. I have everything from Frank Sinatra to Ministry in my collection, but female music seems the most appropriate out of all that when I have some me time.

Tracii G
12-13-2016, 01:30 AM
I have always been into the female rockers from Lita Ford to the girls in Vixen and other girl bands and most all the guys I knew and run around with back in the day liked them too.
I just get tickled when members say when they dress they listen to "girly" music to get "in the mood". It just seems so comical.
I'm always in a girl mood so maybe I just can't relate.
Its all good do what you want,live and let live.

Stephanie Julianna
12-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Nora Jones fills the bill for me.

CrossKimmy
12-13-2016, 02:24 AM
i have a playlist i keep adding to with christina, britney, spice girls, ariana, katy perry, shania, etc

taylormercedes
12-13-2016, 03:25 AM
I usually don't have my tastes change in music or tv when dressing up. Nor do I find that either helps me get in a more feminine mood. But I have noticed that I do tend to blare Lady Gaga in the car with less reservations when dressed. Lol.

Krisi
12-13-2016, 09:46 AM
I don't intentionally listen to music when I'm getting dressed. It may be playing, it may not be. Or the TV is on. I certainly don't change my taste in music when getting dressed or after I'm dressed.

Beverley Sims
12-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Whatever inspires you or helps in the transformation is good therapy.

If I listened to the beat my aim would not be straight and I would have semiquavers all over my face. :-)

Scarlett398
12-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Not so much when getting ready but once I am ready I do enjoy some music by female singers, PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Tori Amos are some of my favourites. I used to put small in-ear phones on so my wig hair hid all the wires , and then lip-synch the songs as if I were singing them. If anyone ever saw me doing it they would have thought I was slightly mad!

Yep, same here - not so much while putting makeup on or getting dressed. But once ready for my self photo shoots with my Nikon on the tripod with the self timer set, I guess I'm the only one, after reading the other posts, who listens to R&B and Soul. Not loud but mild and soft in volume. My favorites who sound sexy are Luther Vandross, R Kelly, Keith Sweat, The Isley Brothers, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass, Stevie Wonder, Sade, Denise Williams, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Marvin Gaye, Justin Bieber, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, and quite a few others. A couple of those could be under the category of pop rock. I play the music soft and sexy instead of really loud.....Thanks for reading my post....Scarlett

Tracii G
12-13-2016, 02:14 PM
I do like all kinds of music and don't limit myself to one genre.
Classical to metal sometimes its old school country or big band with me its all about what I am in the mood for.
I appreciate most all music.

Dana44
12-13-2016, 02:23 PM
I like all music, but here we have Country on and its so nice to hear some of these song while getting dressed. But since the radio is always on, Guess I don't even pay any attention to it

Adriana Moretti
12-13-2016, 02:56 PM
this is sooo funny....I am a dj, so playlists are a big part of my life LOL and I had some Lily Allen on my getting ready playlists LOL ....but when I am getting ready at home I usually just put on classical music, cause it is relaxing, and when doing makeup, i feel like i am some sort of fancy artist or something LOL. Other times I switch it out with roots reggae.

If I'm out for the weekend at an event, sometimes I will make a "weekend" playlist, which changes depending on my mood. I know one time I did like an all 80's playlist of stuff like the go'go's , over the summer I did one of all the new trendy "tropical" sounding hits like Justin Bieber, Major Lazer etc...

What is more fun to me is listening to another gals playlist and let her do all the work LOL....One time a gal had a playlist of all this obscure 80's stuff you just dont hear anymore, like the cure, the smiths, and every one hit wonder from that era...it was so fun..every song was "omg I havent heard this in ages"..70's disco is fun too !!!! I like to learn other gals guilty girly pleasure songs, so I can sneak them in my sets.

Another fun thing we did once was about 4 of us were sharing 1 hotel room and getting ready, we hooked up the laptop to the big screen tv in the room and brought up youtube on the big screen, then anyone was allowed to "pick a song" ..it made getting ready fun, and turned it into a party , one song would inspire someone else to pick another song...lots of laugh's, conversations, and silly dancing...

ellbee
12-13-2016, 05:01 PM
This one. Always. :heehee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs_TZFjbJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs_TZFjbJ8

natalie_cheryl
12-13-2016, 05:49 PM
I usually put on Katie Perry radio on Spotify, it just gets me in the right head space.