PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear in the workshop?

Jackie7
12-15-2016, 02:03 PM
I know I'm not the only one who enjoys woodworking or auto mechanics, I love spending time in my basement shop.

But what to wear? Woman woodworkers I've met dress like lumberjacks and it does make sense- shops aren't often heated in winter, all power comes from the feet planted on the floor so heels aren't safe nor do they have steel toes, and who wants sanding dust in a wig?

My own solution is lumberjack underdressing - wooly tights for warmth, camisole and bra with forms, lipstick and earrings, maybe a shot of perfume. With work shirt, jeans, sturdy shoes, and a hat, always remembering the Monty Python lumberjack song...

What about you?

Judy-Somthing
12-15-2016, 02:18 PM
"Safety Glasses"

When I was in my teens I would wear woman's high-waisted dress pants quite often when working on cars.
I don't think anyone noticed since I never tucked in my shirts.

Martina
12-15-2016, 02:20 PM
None of the above Jackie just plain male clothes to keep me warm.
Would not want to spoil my female clothes now would I.

Martina

Sherrii
12-15-2016, 02:31 PM
My shop is also in the basement, but it is a walk out basement and anyone can come up and walk in unless I lock the door, and then they would be looking in to see what I am doing as the lights would be on. Can only underdress which I do to varying degrees depending on what I am going to be working on or how I feel. I have some wood working tools but mostly I have machine tools. Lately I have been working on a 1964 Cub Cadet garden tractor and the snowthrower that is going on it.

ronda
12-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Sherrii you could put in a steel door with no windows for security

Stephanie Julianna
12-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Always a bra. My nipples could cut glass when they get very cold.

Pumped
12-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Last night I wore Nine West Dishevelled boots, woman's jeans, one of my guy t-shirts, bra and water balloon falsies. Wife was out of town. Locked the door, and had an emergency plan in case someone stopped by. My wife is never gone so it was a special time for me.

BLUE ORCHID
12-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Hi Jackie:hugs:, I seam to remember something about Crossdressing and Power Tools, And it didn't end well.

Just guy clothes in the workshop...:daydreaming:...

BillieJoEllen
12-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Depends if the wife is away from the house. If shes around I wear my male stuff with the exception of panties. If she is gone then I prefer wearing some older tattered female clothing plus a bra.

sara66
12-15-2016, 07:34 PM
Strictly all guy zone. I only have dressy women's clothing and I would hate to ruin anything.
Sara

ReallyLauren
12-15-2016, 09:04 PM
For me the workshop is in front of the mirror trying new makeup looks!

Erin77
12-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Panties and a bra for sure! Then old jeans and a t shirt.

Tracii G
12-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Cover the window of the door if you are worried about it.

Tracy Irving
12-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Panties. But I do everything in panties. The rest is drab. Women's clothing is the "good" stuff.

CynthiaD
12-15-2016, 10:17 PM
The only thing in my workshop is needlework, fabric, thread, etc. No need for special clothes.

Jaylyn
12-15-2016, 10:19 PM
I have two different types of workshops, one is for welding and metal working, the other one is a wood shop where I do deer antler mounting and some woodworking things. Both are buildings behind the house so I only under dress while working in them. If someone drives up I'd probably see or hear them coming but if I'm running a machine I might not and then get caught.

Diane Smith
12-15-2016, 10:26 PM
I spend a lot of time in my basement workshop. A lot of what I do involves paints and glues which are a risk to any kind of clothing. Also soldering and other electronics work that can involve heat and nasty chemicals, not to mention the power tools. So it's mainly worn-out pants and T-shirts with holes in them for me. I do wear panties and women's trouser socks all the time, which don't come off when my work clothes go on. Occasionally a pair of ear studs -- but no dangling or loose jewelry that might get caught on equipment or pose an electrical risk. Certainly, rubber soled sneakers or other safe, flat shoes. I want to be comfortable and injury free so I'm presentable for my next outing, so the shop is basically a gender-free zone.

- Diane

Pumped
12-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Cover the window of the door if you are worried about it.

I have windows to deal with, I covered them years ago for other reasons. Lock the door, but friends have the door code for the overhead so I need to remember to shut it off. I keep a jacket and a pair of work boots handy. Last time someone stopped by they banged on the door, I hollered to wait a minute, changed boots, tossed the falsies in the garbage, pulled on the jacket to hide the bra and answered the door. Any questions and I just had my hands full at the time.

Hellen
12-16-2016, 12:21 AM
My woodworkshop is a detached building on my backyard. Usually I keep male clothing but bra and panties are my normal underwear.

Sherrii
12-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Ronda,

Yeah, I could cover the windows and lock the door. But then I would have to change there if I wanted to answer the door if someone came and as it would take a while to change that would cause questions too.. And there would be a lot of questions if it was obvious I was there and didn't answer it. And there are 4 full size and 3 small basement windows, I would lose a lot of light by covering them too. It would be fun to dress in the shop, but it just isn't worth it.

ClosetED
12-16-2016, 11:09 AM
How about this?
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=260492&d=1461542516

Hugs, Ellen

Lululover
12-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Beautiful Ellen. Is that a bodysuit your wearing?

ClosetED
12-16-2016, 11:41 AM
No, seamless cami from Venus with black jacket. Black leather skirt. Safety glasses on top of head.
or wearing them
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=260493&d=1461542592

Then there is the lumberjack look
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=260494&d=1461542663

I wouldn't want to be around with other lumberjacks cutting down trees with me dressed like that!
Hugs, Ellen

SarahleeNH
12-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Lol! In truth, if I am doing hand tool work in my woodshop, a long skirt, an older blouse, thigh highs, ballet flat slippers and fully underdressed is my first choice! Love the photos ClosetED!!!

sometimes_miss
12-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Summer, T shirt and jeans, sneakers. Winter, t shirt, sweatshirt, and jeans, sneakers or boots if it's snowing, gloves if it's colder than a witches you-know-what.

Laura912
12-17-2016, 09:47 AM
What I am wearing today to fix a light in the kitchen...34D, panties, shirt, sweat shirt, jeans, and sneakers. It's cold! Heels do not work on a step ladder especially when standing in the kitchen sink. One might catch a heel in the drain. Metal stepladder, sink, electricity...what could possibly go wrong?

Rogina B
12-17-2016, 08:49 PM
I have found that "jeggings" are actually cheaper than jeans and have the right fit. I have 2 pair of womens steel toed work shoes that I am happy with. I go with inexpensive tops and use an older wig[next level down is a swimming wig,lol]. I wear a hat with my hair in a pony. It works for me in that I am at the trade suppliers all the time and never make a comment on my look.

Beverley Sims
12-17-2016, 10:18 PM
Flat shoes, jeans and suitable top.

Usually a short wig in case I am seen.

IleneD
12-17-2016, 11:06 PM
I do most of my own vehicle maintenance (anything short of dropping an engine; minor part repairs, etc). I've been known to work in wood and metal; and to remodel a room or two. I like working with my hands (which is very tough on the nails, it breeds "man-hands", damn it).

As for wear in the shop, garage or yard, I go with comfort first. Since I'm more of your "recreational crossdresser", no someone aspiring to transition to full time femme mode, I dress more in (grubby) guy mode for rough work. I always wear panties. I've given up on male briefs and have a few pair stored in case of emergency. But panties (at least the ones I own) seem to provide all the support and function for The Boys that is required. I wear earrings full time now.

But the rest of my work ensemble is just the basics: no bra, heavy shoes or boots, t-shirt and old jeans or shorts. I have replaced a ball cap with a bright and very long bandana. Ball caps, I found, have problems getting around tight spots working on a car. For most car work including oil changes, I wear an old flight suit I have from my flying days; a pair of olive drab coveralls. (I keep one in the car too in case of road emergency.)
When I'm doing "guy work", so to speak, I get down to basic guy mode and adjust for there. Utility and function prevail. Not a time for fashion.

Alyssa Lane
12-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Winter, I have a bra and shirt under my coat.
Summer time, just a tank and a bra, or just a sports bra. Sometimes nothing if Im welding.

Lana Mae
12-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Men's clothing as I do not want to ruin my female clothes! Hugs Lana Mae

Amari
12-19-2016, 05:53 AM
nothing if Im welding.

You weld in the nude?! :heehee:

Krisi
12-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Hi Jackie:hugs:, I seam to remember something about Crossdressing and Power Tools, And it didn't end well.

Just guy clothes in the workshop...:daydreaming:...

Yep. If you cut off a finger or do some other damage to yourself, you won't want to have to change clothes before the EMTs come. Anything more than just unscrewing something and I change back to Homer.

a_leslie
12-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Hi, I'm new to the group but on the topic, I own a car bodyshop, in guy mode as such, I wear ripped jeans with clearly visible tights underneath, a lace vest in winter and always have eyeliner and mascara on whilst wearing a flat cap, to hell what anyone thinks, it's my life, not theirs!

Jennifer in CO
12-19-2016, 12:43 PM
comfy gonna get dirty clothes. Doesn't matter if they started out from the mens or womens section although there is always a sports bra/panties underneath. Although once, about 30+ years ago, while waiting for my wife to get ready I did go out in the garage and drop an engine in a car I was restoring...wearing a LBD and 3" heels...

Dana44
12-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Actually for me I work at home and I can be masculine or feminine. Works is the same in both modes.

Lorileah
12-19-2016, 02:39 PM

Who says you can't be fem and do a job?

Rogina B
12-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Yep. If you cut off a finger or do some other damage to yourself, you won't want to have to change clothes before the EMTs come.
Why should you have to ?

Jackie7
12-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Why should you have to ?

Yes, why indeed? I'm the OP, and not to hijack the thread as it tails off, but as Blue Orchid reminds me, back in Feb 2014 I pretty much did as Krisi warns: a nasty bandsaw cut into the back of my left hand severed three tendons and plowed a groove in my knuckles. I'd been an active woodworker for more than 50 years without a serious mishap, but as one old friend said, there's really only two varieties: those that have, and those that haven't yet.

Anyway, as usual I was fully under-dressed with forms snugly in my bra, beneath work jeans, heavy shirt and boots. My wife drove me to the ER, the techs sliced my bra off with the same practiced nonchalance that they cut off my shirt and lacy camisole, while I clutched my hand to stop the bleeding and (who knew?) maybe hold the fingers in place. They packed my forms and the cut clothing into a personal property bag along with everything else, and briskly got on with the real work of sewing me back together. Which BTW they brilliantly did, and today, after a lot of physiotherapy exercises, my hand is 100% back and no more arthritic (so far) than the other one.

And nope, I wasn't wearing anything unsafe and yup, I'm sufficiently trans that my deep internal body image has breasts and I've had lots of practice wearing forms, they don't get in my way at all. SO I couldn't blame dressing for the mishap. I'll have to cop to it: I drank wine with dinner before returning to the workshop, my judgment was not 100%, I was stupid and I've learned my lesson. Amen.