PDA

View Full Version : Bugis st Singapore

Steph54
12-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Did anyone ever visit Bugis st. In Singapore. I was there back around 1975. Lots of nock off cassette tapes of the latest music, great food and loads and loads of extremely beautiful trans women. Amazing how feminine those Asian boys could look. It was a huge tourist attraction. Around. '97 I went back but it was all gone. Told due tothe rise in "aids" the government shut it all down

chris80
12-16-2016, 01:51 AM
went past Bugis junction in 2014. Albert st is all just another cleaned up shopping area. Have to look back at photos of 1970's.

Lily Catherine
12-16-2016, 02:47 AM
I have been there countless times (I frequent Bugis Junction even more), although it's mostly clothing shops now (and the occasional knock-off music shop). I end up buying "fun T-shirts" that parodied anything under the sun. A good part of my femme wardrobe came from there - cute shorts from Korea, some really pretty casual tops, many cheap T-shirts that crossed over into my male wardrobe. I never found the trans* paradise I had heard of from my parents' generation. There's a wig shop there though; even a long wig seems fairly cheap.

I think the clothing in Full House there may appeal to quite a few on this site - really pretty formalwear and some bridal-like selections.

Either I'm not looking hard enough, or that scene isn't as obvious anymore. It didn't help that the trans* scene in my own adolescence was associated with prostitution and the inextricable sleaze thereof.