PDA

View Full Version : Science, non-fiction

Julie MA
12-25-2016, 05:17 PM
I write, some. Thought of a story where society has children choose their preferred gender, at an early age, free of the binary, learned gender roles. Tough to imagine, knowing what we know and have experienced in our lives. Could be an interesting story...

StephanieM
12-25-2016, 10:02 PM
I've often fantasized about humans being able to live as one gender for the first part of their lives and being able to change if they desire for the last half. If we could all experience both sides I think it would wonderful.

Maria Blackwood
12-26-2016, 05:39 AM
Maybe not quite the same, but "Steel Beach" by John Varley. Story takes place in a world where medical science can fully change a persons physical gender. If I recall, they quick clone the, um, different parts, and surgically transplant. Done in an afternoon and you're home for dinner. Everything actually works.

The main character switches from male to female half way through the novel, although we learn she was born female. Could make a fun film. Switch actors halfway through. The story itself is about people on a lunar colony going nuts at random, and the main character is investigating.

Also an anime series called Le Chevalier D’Eon about an 18th century man investigating his sisters death. He sometimes channels her and physically becomes her. Very loosely based on an actual historical crossdressing figure: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_d%27Éon

CynthiaD
12-26-2016, 09:38 PM
In "the Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula LeGuin, the characters are sexless until they actually begin to have sex. Then, one person randomly changes to male and the other changes to female. The same person can be either a mother or a father, or both if he/she has several children. The novel won a Hugo award.

Georgette_USA
12-26-2016, 10:10 PM
Very loosely based on an actual historical crossdressing figure: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_d%27Éon

My mothers mother is from the "de Broglie" family. A possible relative is the "maréchal (marshall) de Broglie" and "comte (count) de Broglie', mentioned in many articles of the "Chevalier d'Éon" I have researched in family history. I have not found any definitive proof, but always found the small relationship interesting.