PDA

View Full Version : If dressing was socially acceptable.

Kimberley
03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Let's consider for a moment that the barriers of clothing and societal attitudes were accepting would you cross dress and how far would you go?

In other words, if the barriers of gender were removed from the clothing as an identity association, how would you react? Would you identify as male, female or both? Would you dress male, female or crossover with your mood?

I know I would still enjoy lingerie and I would not hesitate to wear a skirt, dress or heels as I saw fit. I would enjoy getting dressed to the nines for a night out but I would also enjoy climbing into a pair of jeans and sneakers. I think this is pretty much the ideal that GG's enjoy that we are denied.

Kimberley

Foxy Lady
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
If the barriers were removed there would be no need to crossdress. If that happened I would still wear skirts and heels.

Jodie_Lynn
03-02-2006, 10:08 AM
True Foxy, if there would be no outcry, then it wouldn't matter what we wore. But it would be nice to get all dolled up for a night out, and then the next day wear jeans and a sweatshirt to tend the yard.

Unfortunately, our society does judge a book by its cover. I myself am guilty of this as well: I can't help but look at the be-bop boys in their size 50 jeans, crotch hanging somewhere around their knees, and thinking "What circus is in town?"

We all have our little prejudices, sadly.

GypsyKaren
03-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately, our society does judge a book by its cover. I myself am guilty of this as well: I can't help but look at the be-bop boys in their size 50 jeans, crotch hanging somewhere around their knees, and thinking "What circus is in town?"

We all have our little prejudices, sadly.

Truer words were never spoken. As far as the subject at hand, I would still wear misses pants and jeans because they fit better and are more comfortable, and I like misses tops because they're not boring.

Karen

simonestrt
03-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I would dress fem most of the time but when fixing the car etc jeans and tshirts. then on sundays i could laz around in my nightdress and wrap (satin)

Sophia Rearen
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Kimberly, you thread stealer. lol. I had the same thought when replying to another thread.
Ah, freedom! Freedom to choose whatever you want. Isn't that idealistic. I'd dress the way I felt. Period.

alisoncdnj
03-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I would continue doing what I am doing. Wearing a skirt or dress one day or jeans or pants the next. However, all of my clothing would be female. Maybe someday. I don't know any GG that wear dresses or skirts everyday.

misspatty
03-02-2006, 10:52 AM
If there were no societal barriers, I would dress in women's clothing openly but would save the breast forms and butt padding for special occaisions.

Patty

suzy
03-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I would do the same as I am ....except more of it. I would wear feminine clothes, 95% of the time and be able to feel so good about myself!;)

KimberlyS
03-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Let's consider for a moment that the barriers of clothing and societal attitudes were accepting would you cross dress and how far would you go? Kimberley

Kimberley, If the gender lines and society stigma was not there I would be just want I want to be today, which is a guy who like to wear feminine clothes at times.

I would always present myself as a guy, but I would wear a mix of clothes depending on my mood and what I needed to do for the day. Some days causual skirt, feminine top, heels. Other days jeans, tee, running shoes. And others skirt, tee, running shoes. Meeting days, white shirt, tie, slacks, and wing tips. Or skirt suit, ph, 3 in heels. And possibly Skirt, white shirt and tie, 2in heels. A work around the house day may be a long jean skirt, durable femme top, work boots and a two day beard.

I would be like many GG's are today, but most likely I would be a bit more feminine. I would only ever be in just my own hair, and wear little to no make up except for maybe lipstick. If wore bras they would be in an A cup with no forms or enhancers.

I would just be a feminine guy that wore a mix of feminine and masculine clothes.

KimberlyS

P.S. And yes I can dresses fully including a wig and makeup and will continue to do so if I go out to protect me and my family from what society could do to us. But when I do dress fully I just feel like a guy in feminine clothes. HEY that is what I am. A guy who feels comfortable in feminine clothes at times.

Kimberley
03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Kimberly, you thread stealer. lol. I had the same thought when replying to another thread.
Ah, freedom! Freedom to choose whatever you want. Isn't that idealistic. I'd dress the way I felt. Period.
Great minds think alike dear. I say we organize a letter writing campaign and send a few hundred thousand emails to Jean Paul Gaultier to revisit the CD lines of years gone by, but to keep at it until someone wakes up....

I would also dress as I felt and probably 90% of the time it would be "fem". However I just cant see running through hill and dale with a camera tripid and 50 lbs of equipment in hand wearing stockings, heels (get stuck in the mud) and a skirt.... So for that it would be drab... hiking boots, jeans, etc. Still the mental image is quite humourous. "Help me I'm stuck" Where's the panic button? Aarrrghhhh!

Hugs,
Kimberley

Yes I am
03-02-2006, 11:17 AM
If it were socially acceptable, admittedly, it would be less fun. The maverick aspect of crossdressing, being able to break down new barriers is part of what I enjoy about it. But I guess the social normalizing of crossdressing will hopefully be the ultimate result of repeated exposure of our lifestyle to the rest of society, but then I am sure there will be new stupid rules to be broken.

Joy3
03-02-2006, 11:22 AM
If only attitudes would change in our lifetime! I am sure I would dress en femme most of the time. I love the feel of women's clothing and feel more alive when dressed!

Joy3

Jodie_Lynn
03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
LOL Patience is a virtue, my dear.

Look at the strides that 'alternative lifestyles' has made in the last 30 years. Now imagine the advances we will make in the next 30. Too sudden a change in the fabris of society is not always a good thing.

Denise01
03-02-2006, 11:42 AM
If gender attitudes were eliminated, I would still like to wear skirts, skirt suits and dresses as appropriate for where i am going as I find i am so much more comfortable in a skirt.
I find femme jeans and slacks fit better. Depeding on what I am doing, i would wear them as well, as when working with the type of work I do, they are the only practical clothing to wear.
I on the whole find Ladies clothes more comfortable, they are made of finer material, and for me in a lot of circumstances fit much better, especially shoes, as I am blessed ( or cursed ) with very narrow feet.
Ladies clothing gives one much more choice of what we can wear.
When i am wearing a skirt, and fully femme, even though gender roles would have been eliminated, I would still wear my wig, and appropriate make up, so that I could still be the lady that I am

Denise:)

Sophia Rearen
03-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I would also dress as I felt and probably 90% of the time it would be "fem". However I just cant see running through hill and dale with a camera tripid and 50 lbs of equipment in hand wearing stockings, heels (get stuck in the mud) and a skirt.... So for that it would be drab... hiking boots, jeans, etc. Still the mental image is quite humourous. "Help me I'm stuck" Where's the panic button? Aarrrghhhh!

Hugs,
Kimberley

MMMM! Women in hiking boots and shorts. I love that! Just as long it's not Rosie O'Donnel

Kimberley
03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
MMMM! Women in hiking boots and shorts. I love that! Just as long it's not Rosie O'Donnel
So I assume Roseanne Barr is out too?

:lol2:

Kimberley

kathy gg
03-02-2006, 01:15 PM
The women in those polygamy cults do. :cheeky:

I would continue doing what I am doing. Wearing a skirt or dress one day or jeans or pants the next. However, all of my clothing would be female. Maybe someday. I don't know any GG that wear dresses or skirts everyday.

Sonia_cd
03-02-2006, 01:51 PM
If there were indeed no societal attitudes and barriers, it wouldn't really count as dressing would it :-) I mean there wouldn't be special male and female sections, jeans, slacks and t-shirts would be unisex and most cosmetic companies would find no need to have gender specific advertising??

Personally, as I suppose most other CD's, I would adore the freedom to wear what I want, when I want. What might be most fun is wearing the same clothes, lingerie and jewelry as my bride to be on our wedding day!!!....If only such a dream life were to become reality!!!! Sigh

Maria D
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Perhaps I just don't get it, I mean, maybe I'm being really dim, but, if 'the barriers of gender were removed from the clothing as an identity association' how would you dress 'fem'? How would you dress male, or crossover? There are no feminine clothes to wear, wearing a skirt will feel just as drab as wearing trousers does to you now. You will, in a sense, make all clothes drab. Do you LIKE drab?
Look at it like this. Women once crossdressed by wearing trousers. Now, they wear trousers and don't crossdress. So to a crossdressing woman, wearing trousers doesn't really do much, does it? (FTM CDs please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)
To all those who feel more comfortable in a skirt, ask yourself why. Is it actual physical comfort or is it because they are a female garment? Do you really want to remove it's feminine status?

As Sonia just make me think, is 'equal clothing rights' being confused with the right to 'crossdress openly'? They aren't the same.
Just a thought, what do you think?

Take care:)

Sonia_cd
03-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Well put Maria! A thought worth introspecting over for most of us I suppose. The mystery and aura around "feminine clothing" constitutes some of the attraction to such clothes and CD'ing. DOing away with that might just make it plain ol' boring, cos it becomes mundane.

I wonder if dressing has something to do with a deep inner need to challenge established social mores and rules, go against the grain and tread dangerously the boundaries "socially acceptable beahviour", as defined by the "normal" elements of society?

Sonia

Miriannah
03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Wow, asking that question on this forum? Is anyone going to actually say anything other than "I'd still wear womens' clothing!" at all? :) I know I'd be all over every dress, skirt, heeled shoe/boot, and any other piece of apparel or accessory that looked feminine. My reasoning is because womens' clothing is exciting, colorful, and varied. This is just one of the many reasons I'm drawn to it.

Of course, I'd keep jeans, sneakers, and such too for when I needed something practical, for doing things heavier types of work.

Kimberley
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
The women in those polygamy cults do. :cheeky:
There are a number of religious groups where women always wear dresses but hardly fashionable in any sense.:eek:

BTW. I like the new avatar Kathy. Great pic! :)

Kimberley

celeste26
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
To go one step further if we would live in equatorial areas where it is hot and humid eveyday would be still wear dresses? and the other acoutremont. Plainly wearing breast forms would give it all away and talk about being uncomfortable? Wearing high heels in the jungle just doesn't fit at all.

Just saw a film about the Waodoni people of equatorial South America. Prior to the 50's they typically wore next to nothing at all. Of course the average day was 90 degrees with 90% humidity. When they were converted by the missionaries they began to wear clothes.

Michelle8
03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
If it was acceptable I would wear women's clothes
all the time.So many styles and colors to choose from.
From jeans and shorts to dresses I would be in heaven.

Rachel1967
03-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi, Girls.;)
Interesting question. There are some interesting replays, and some valid answers.
For me I would still were skirts, dresses etc, because to cossdressing isn't as much the clothes but the full look.
If it was just the clothes why put on makeup, breasts and a wig never mind the figure shaping garments?
For me it's trying my best to look female (not very convincing yet), bring out the woman inside.:thumbsup:

carol ann
03-02-2006, 04:30 PM
I have a feeling that if everyone wore the same clothes - i.e. there was no gender attachment to what one wore, then the attraction for those of us who crossdress might well be dissipated. I wonder if our attraction to feminine looks is simply that - it is feminine - i.e it belongs to the opposite sex with all the mystique and excitement which that brings.

When I am dressed i want to be thought of as a girl and I want to look like a girl - not a man in girls clothing. at such time I would like to be a girl. Then the practical side of me takes over and i know that such a thing (for me anyway) is fantasy - great fun -, but still fantasy, and I have to go back to living a life in the gender I was born with!

joni-alice
03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I like skirts and sweatshirts.
my gender is me.

Laura Jane
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I think the question is still valid.

There are/were some colours that males traditionally don't/didn't wear. You nowdays do see men wearing a pink shirt and people don't take that as proof positive of them being gay, but they might subtly change their impression of that man.

So imagine the boundaries expand a bit. It becomes acceptable for a man to wear a dress, but of course most men wouldn't wear them, just like most men would bulk at wearing a pink.

So would you put on a dress to wear to work or a do, knowing you won't get laughed at, but it would change peoples impression of you.

For the record, I think I would wear a dress or other femine clothes, but my wig, make up and shoes might give the game away!

jenny_centaur
03-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Let's consider for a moment that the barriers of clothing and societal attitudes were accepting would you cross dress and how far would you go?

I'd dress fully all the time, except that I wouldn't wear a bra and falsies. I'd wear a wig, makeup, skirts, tights and knickers, and women's tops all of the time. I'd always wear short skirts.

For the occasions when this would be impractical (I can't think of many), I'd wear overalls. When riding my motorcycle (which I do a lot), I'd wear my one piece leathers over my clothes as I do now, but I'd have the pleasure of peeling them off when I arrive at my destination, to reveal my girly outfit underneath.

I must admit that however unlikely it is that this would ever be possible, the idea does excite me more than a little:D

Ashley in Virginia
03-02-2006, 05:22 PM
I would run around naked, as I only dress to irritate others and to make my own life difficult.

Helen MC
03-02-2006, 06:58 PM
If it became acceptable I would wear skirts/ dresses instead of trousers outdoors and probably every day.

Penny
03-02-2006, 07:20 PM
I would love to wear a top like you see in my picture; however, all the lace
won't work because I still have to have the breasts. I would ware this except
without the breasts. There would be no need for bras unless a male already
had breasts and I know some of you do have them from your comments in other threads.

If I could wear what I wanted
It would surely be bright
Oh yes I'd be wearing
A teddy at night

Gretchen
03-02-2006, 07:46 PM
For me, the adventure of crossdressing is still exactly that...an adventure and a series of discoveries about myself and realizing that this urge I have had deep down all my life is not wrong. Nonetheless, it is an escape from the societal barriers that I have adhered to most of my life. The act itself brings much bliss and emotional pleasure, even though I know it is not reality. It is fantasy, but oh so much fun. Part of the act of crossing over the line to another identity.
If crossdressing was "declassified" as a socially unacceptable act for a man to engage in, for me, the thrill, lift, rush, and resultant bliss and comfort would be gone. It's kind of like taking the alcohol content out of alcoholic beverages.
What's left to give you a bit of a lift when you need it?
Love,
Gretchen

CharleneCD
03-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Nothing would change for me. Well I would dress and go out more. I dress to express the feminine side of my personality, which has nothing to do with weather I am accepted or not.

Katie Ashe
03-02-2006, 08:00 PM
I would dress as I see fit. With no gender involved, what I wore wouldn't matter to anyone. I would wear stockings, heels, skirts 24/7 anyways.

Are you asking so... you can word it correctly and rub the magic lantern the right way :battingeyelashes: ?

cindycd
03-09-2006, 03:33 AM
I am sure I would dress in public if that was acceptable. I love wearing lace and panties but I am far to masculine to seen in public in that kind of attire.

ChristineRenee
03-09-2006, 03:45 AM
I would dress in feminine attire the majority of the time. What I would wear would be according to what it is I am doing or where I would be going at the time.

Sarah Rabbit
03-09-2006, 06:45 AM
I don't dress because I am not suppsed to. I dress because that is ME!!What you described is a very boring world. She dresses like he dresses like she/ he /she /he dresses . I dress to be me, but I dress to look pretty and feminine

Hugs, Sarah R. :bunny:

TGMarla
03-09-2006, 09:15 AM
With no boundaries on what we wear, I'd probably run the spectrum a bit. I imagine I'd wear a lot of skirts and dresses if the occasion allowed for it. Why not? I like wearing them now, when it's NOT accepted. But to say that I'd wear nothing but feminine clothing would be stretching it a bit. Guy clothes are quite comfy, and great for getting work done. So I think I'd wear just about everything and anything, unless it just doesn't appeal to me.

cd_jessica_jason
03-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Hell yes I would cross dress, I'm just finding myself currently. But if what your ask us to imagine was true, I'd push whatever limits there were with the way i'd be dressing everyday for such a place.

TGMarla
03-09-2006, 10:32 AM
One more thought on this. Many crossdressers say they would wear skirts and dresses every day. "Gee! I'd dress in women's clothes all the time!" But think about it. No you wouldn't. Crossdressers genuinely love to wear feminine attire, no doubt. But one of the reasons is because it's special. You don't get to do it every day, and wear these clothes everywhere you go. (Speaking in generalities here....) Women can, though. It's nothing real special to them. Other threads have asked the GGs whether they enjoy wearing dresses and such, and the overwhelming response has been one of ambiguity. They either opt to NOT wear skirts and dresses much, or don't really care one way or the other.

If all things were equal, and gender no longer mattered in clothing choice, we'd all feel quite the same way after a while. No doubt about it.

wendy
03-09-2006, 11:16 AM
If there was no social barriers and it was socially acceptable by all, I would wear women's clothing as much as possible (ie. skirts, dresses, pants, anything that is women).

Bear in mind, at certain times I would wear drab but I would guess 95% of the time it would be women's clothing.

Kimberley
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
This has been very revealing because without barriers it seems that most of us would continue our current path. Thanks to all who have replied.

I am glad to see this thread is still going.

Kimberley.

Bonnie D
03-09-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm taking this situation more along the lines that Laura Jane is. Socially acceptable doesn't mean all the men are going to go rushing out to the stores to buy feminine attire.

Most men want to look and act as masculine as possible and don't want to change. Women's boundaries are easier to blend but they still want to be women and regarded as such.

However, men totally or partially dressing in women's clothes and acting as women or not would be acceptable? Then I would be a lot more feminine in my dressing and acting as I could be and would try to respect the occasion.

I would grow my hair long again though and style it and wear it didn't ways depending on my mood. I work in an office so it would be skirts and dresses most of the time.

I could still see breast forms, hip padding and gaffs, as well as, binding and crotch filling for ftms, being used since there still would be a gender differentiation.

Bonnie

Liberty
03-09-2006, 11:50 AM
I would probably dress daily in items a bit skimpier unless the necessity warranted protection from dirty or sharp objects. I must wear jeans when I am doing yard work, construction, or mechanics. It's strange how if I start my day off in a skirt, I usually don't get the heavy duty stuff done much... I would probably choose to wear blue jeans with a cami top for the hard work, I'm gonna have to try this regardless of the unified dress code, sounds like a tough job much more enjoyable.

Sedona
03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
I'd just go with skirts, usually long and flowing, because of the comfort. Otherwise, maybe chick's casual tops on occasion, but seriously, I'm happy with my outer guy clothes when out in public.

kinkyjo2005
03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
if dressing was accepted it would be so nice for us all, i personally would probably dress for the huge majority of the time, especially for work as i am office based.
I feel so relaxed and sexy and am on a high when dressed, but if it were accepted those feelings would possibly relax a bit.
When at home with the wife we both like me to dress in the sophisticated look, rather than tarty.
I'm very lucky because she goes shopping and comes back with skirts and blouses for me.
She's not sure about me going out dressed because of what society will think, so at the moment we keep my dressing in doors, but it would be so nice to be able to go out there without the agro that would probably occur.

bye for now,

KinkyJo.

maid phylis
03-09-2006, 04:14 PM

In other words, if the barriers of gender were removed from the clothing as an identity association, how would you react? Would you identify as male, female or both? Would you dress male, female or crossover with your mood?

I know I would still enjoy lingerie and I would not hesitate to wear a skirt, dress or heels as I saw fit. I would enjoy getting dressed to the nines for a night out but I would also enjoy climbing into a pair of jeans and sneakers. I think this is pretty much the ideal that GG's enjoy that we are denied.

Kimberleyi agree with you dear ,this is what women have enjoyed for many years and if this happened to us i would do the same as our gg sisters ,i would probably get all dolled up and go out with my wife to a bw ahow,that would be great.love phylisanne:)

MelissaM
03-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I know that Al wouldn't become April if it were acceptable. All he wants to be is a guy that can wear a skirt, hose, and fun shoes. Or a dress if it's cut right for a man. The whole "Mens clothes are boring" scenario. I can understand, I suppose. If he never had to do the wig, makeup, and everything else just to wear his favorite heels and skirt, he'd be a happy man!

So what do you think? Do you think the number of people here that dress all the way would decrease if they could just wear what they wanted to without having to put everything else on?

Ipexx2
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM

Kimberley
I would crossover with my mood. But I would wear nail polish 24/7
. As of right now I would crossdress 24/7.

Amanda
03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
I would always wear feminine lingerie - slip, stockings, knickers - perhaps not a bra because I wouldn't need to. I'd wear skirts or dresses to work and on formal occasions and jeans and shorts in the garden and workshop. It's so much easier to slip on a skirt and slip than to put on trousers.

Brenda Locke
03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I would most likely wear skirts,panties,bra's, stockings and shoes whenever the mood took me. I'd deffinately wear skirts on hot days and nice loose blouses.
LoL Brenda

womanatheart
03-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Kimberly,
Great Q.
I think it takes a second thought to get to the (possibly) real deeper Q.
Let me think outloud: If I could walk anywhere, up to any one full efem (cd)- and they would not recognize me as different, as a cder with breast forms, skirt, makeup, wig - as a woman (what ever degree) and everyone would recognize me to be the same? Would I cd?
Could the variable here could be; acceptance? (by gg's and others) Acceptance or acknowledgement as me being a woman (what ever degree)? If that variable was gone - would I have a need / desire to cd? Other than comfort and afinity for fem clothes and look - how much of me being a cder is others acknowledgement? Excellent Q.
Could the Q be: if male and female were not identified or acknowledged (superficial situation) - would there be a desire to cd? Or - if my wig, makeup, skirt, fitted blouse, fingernails - didnt matter to anyone else, would I cd? :happy:
Excellent Q.

Barb Valentine
03-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Wouldn't that be a great world to live in

MelindaC
03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I would dress most all the time enfemme. To me. wearing a dress or skirt is simply more comfortable. I would dress fully, including undergarments. And I'd do my best to look feminine --- really don't want to just look like a guy in a dress.......

jenny_cheerleader
03-09-2006, 09:23 PM
i would probable wear clothes such as pvc/vinal ALL THE TIME. I would love to be able to wear them tall boots of mine too. I would probably identify as both.

genevieve
03-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Would love to go to the office in a business like pinstripe suit dress, knee length of course and heels 4" max, however on days in the field would have to wear steel tip boots with jeans and perhaps a nice cami under my coveralls whish would be fuschia of course!