PDA

View Full Version : My work sent out a diversity survey today...

Katrina
03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
When I got into work this morning, there was an email from the big boss asking everyone to take an anonymous survey. I started the survey and it was mostly about diversity and comfort level with my employer's policies about diversity and management. Most of the questions were pretty tame, but two stood out to me. They wanted some biographical information like race, etc, and they asked for "gender - male or female". Then a few questions down, they asked "sexual orientation - gay/lesbian/bisexual, heterosexual, transgendered". I couldn't leave well alone at this one. I logged into a common computer and a common username so it couldn't be tracked back to me and I let them have it. In a comment box, I wrote that their policy on transgendered people is lacking, and a good example of that is those two questions. I enlightened them that being transgendered has little to do with sexual orientation and everything to do with gender identity - that the transgendered option would be much more appropriate with the male/female question. I am optumistic that they are at least asking the right questions now - and to give them some credit, they do take diversity very seriously. I'm not ready to test that with my gender identity though.

Kimberley
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Hmmm. A little education never hurt anyone. Think it will help or make a difference?
:)

I always hated those surveys. Same with performance reviews without baselines and objectives for measurement. (I refused to answer them.) Totally lame and subjective. :p

Kimberley

Katrina
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Kimberly, normally I'd agree with you, but my employer takes that stuff very seriously. My managers are very interested in my professional development - so much that they pushed me to get my masters. Hopefully I pass my last class this term...I can't wait to be done!!!!!

HaleyPink2000
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I think it's about time more places have people on board that handle Diversity questions and problems. Other than Wells Fargo I don't know many of the big Companys that really take it very serious. I know many in Federal & State Government jobs that are clueless. It would be great if there was mandatory Laws saying that Employers had to have a Human Resourses Dept. Like Wells Fargo has.

I love what you did and I am glad that a young person as yourself is so involved in this fight for human rights. It's a thing that is long over due.
I'm hoping that I see this before my time is up on this Earth. People need to change , but I also know that Change is Slow!

Thanks again!!! Big time!
Haley:)

Sarahgurl371
03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Katrina, my employer also takes diversity very serious. They are constantly holding mandatory training sessions and such. Just out of curiosity, I checked out the discrimination policies. All the usual stuff about race, ethnicity, etc., sexual orientation was listed and another called "affectional orientation", but nothing about TG or TS people.

So while I agree with your post and the topics you raised, at least your company "recognizes" TG people. My company even has a LGBT website and employee support group.

Laurie Ann
03-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Katrina what a great environment to work in where employers actually take employee related issues seriously. I am happy for you. Also good luck on your last semester for your masters.

Kimberley
03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
I work as an adjunct at a local college and of course the wonderful world of academia is soooo enlightened. They have harassment policies that are rigidly enforced, perhaps to a fault. As profs we are required to be sensitive to student diversity. However the organization is still a conservative old boys club. What the students do is one thing. What we do is an entirely different story.

A local post op TS I know used to teach there. They built a case and fired her. She sued and lost in that she didnt get her job back but did get some compensation. She wanted her job not the cash.

My point is that organizational enlightenment and practice are not always in line. Like it or not the double standards and prejudices still exist beneath the surface.

Dont forget there is still a glass ceiling for women in management despite decades of advancement and enlightenment. Ever wonder why?

I really do think it is wonderful you have taken the time to inform them of their errors and I do hope they take your suggestions to heart. Maybe some good will come of it.

Just a few thoughts worth 0.02

Kimberley

kathy gg
03-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Good for you for telling them the facts. :thumbsup:

And wow! I hope you get that degree! How awesome, that is something to really be proud of. Best of luck on passing....hmm...that sounds like something I might have said before! :cheeky:

Kimberly, normally I'd agree with you, but my employer takes that stuff very seriously. My managers are very interested in my professional development - so much that they pushed me to get my masters. Hopefully I pass my last class this term...I can't wait to be done!!!!!

AprilMae
03-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm not a fan of these forced "Diversity and Sensitivity" seminars I've been subjected to over the years. I know how to work and play well with others and don't need a load of psychbabble. But I guess there still are. people do need positive reinforcement to keep from acting like knuckleheads.

DonnaT
03-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Well done Katrina! :thumbsup:

Most recent survey I filled out was at the Honolulu airport. One was the usual gender guestion, so I filled in Transgender :D My wife said "No you didn't!?"

Helen MC
03-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I do NOT trust my Bosses as far as I can throw them so I am very cagey about so-called anonymous surveys as I am sure they can trace who sent it via a computer on their network. They are only entitled to know what I do at work or if representing them at a Customer's factory etc, my personal and home life is my business alone and I do not tell them anything they do not have a legal right to know and never attend any out of hours or away for the workplace social functions. They pay me for 40 hours Monday to Friday which they get with dilligence and skill , what I do and what I wear in my own time is my affair. Accordingly I would simply ignore a survey such as this.

AprilMae
03-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I tend to agree with you Helen. Especially The question of sexual preference. That is no one's business but mine, and my partner's.

Julie Avery
03-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Good work, Katrina. I worked for a baby bell phone company once that was very enlightened as to tg issues. Didn't stop the gossip, but it meant that harassment would be treated as harassment. Alas, I was totally drab at the time. Kudos to you for acting up in a way that hurt no one, and could help many.

CarolDonna
03-03-2006, 09:47 PM
I do NOT trust my Bosses as far as I can throw them so I am very cagey about so-called anonymous surveys as I am sure they can trace who sent it via a computer on their network. They are only entitled to know what I do at work or if representing them at a Customer's factory etc, my personal and home life is my business alone and I do not tell them anything they do not have a legal right to know and never attend any out of hours or away for the workplace social functions. They pay me for 40 hours Monday to Friday which they get with dilligence and skill , what I do and what I wear in my own time is my affair. Accordingly I would simply ignore a survey such as this.
I hate to rant, but I have to here.

If your bosses are running the survey, I can understand your concern. However, if they hired an outside firm, then I have to disagree with your conclusions. I own such an outside firm. We survey employees of companies. We, and all our competitors, promise confidentiality. We have no interest in knowing what any particular person said in a survey. Everyone who takes the survey gets a cookie dropped on their machine, but it's the same cookie for everyone; it merely says to the machine "this person took the survey;" it doesn't tell us anything -- it just stops them from taking it again.

Time is money. We don't, and I doubt that any of our competitors do, have the time (or the inclination) to try to figure out who took one of our surveys. It doesn't make economic sense for us, because it only would cost us money to try, and it would cost us money if potential clients felt we were violating confidentiality.

The purpose in even asking such questions is to understand if certain groups of people are less satisfied than certain other groups, so that improvements can be made. The purpose is NOT to figure out which particular person said which particular thing.

Katrina
03-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Normally I'd agree with several of you that things like my sexual preference is nobody's business but my partner's....but...in this case, I felt it was important to let my employer know exactly what their workforce is composed of. That way, if they actually do care about their employees (I think they do), they can change their policies to reflect the more diverse working environment. You can say I'm naive, but for the most part, my employer does seem to care about their employees and don't simply treat us as replaceable worker units. Places I have worked for in the past - yes, they didn't give a rat's pitutie, but this one is different. That said, I'm still going to tread lightly when it comes to actually coming out...I'm naive, not stupid.