PDA

View Full Version : Second Life

Mtempel
01-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Is anyone familiar with the virtual reality game Second Life where you can be an avatar of any gender or species? I found out about it years ago when I created my virtual self Tamie. She's everything I wish I could be. It's so fun to interact with others as her

Micki_Finn
01-23-2017, 03:32 PM
That's still around? Didn't that die off like 10 years ago?

Mtempel
01-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Well the adult locations are as popular as ever ; )

VeronicaMoonlit
01-23-2017, 10:38 PM
Is anyone familiar with the virtual reality game Second Life

There have been several threads about SL here.

Still around. It is still the Queen and Champeen of virtual worlds. I joined SL back in 2006, so I am what SL users call an “oldbie“. And yes, I have a female avatar.

Veronica

docrobbysherry
01-23-2017, 11:44 PM
That's kind of what I do. Only in real life----:battingeyelashes:

Tracii G
01-24-2017, 12:20 AM
I have never played games like that because I never had that much free time.
Virtual reality sounds like an oxymoron.

biannne
01-24-2017, 12:25 AM
I am going to try and play Second Life. Seems like a lot of fun.

Ceera
01-24-2017, 12:45 AM
I am Ceera Murakami on Second Life, but I hardly log in any more there. Had several other accounts too, mostly for roleplaying when my friends and I still did that stuff there.

trisha kobichenko
01-24-2017, 01:28 AM
I have been on Second Life since 2010, last logged on a couple of hours ago. My avatar is female and I don't let on that I am anything other than that. I can do things there I could never do in RL

Maria Blackwood
01-24-2017, 01:49 AM
I play Elder Scrolls Online, an MMO, and all seven of my characters are female.

My current character
Ardora The Red likes moonlit walks with handsome knights, Argonian wine, and burning her foes to ashes with bolts of lightning, laughing as they scream their last.

bridget thronton
01-24-2017, 02:17 AM
I started in SL 10 years ago and followed my friends to inworldz and a Discovery Grid. Building and scripting can be fun, building with friends can be pretty good (some of my friends know my avatar's typist is male and most do not). Virtual sailing is awfully relaxing.

HollyGreene
01-24-2017, 03:06 AM
I played that when it first came out. I had 2 accounts; one of which had a female avatar.
I never paid money into it to buy land, so I never achieved much and gave up.
Would never have guessed that it still existed. I wonder if my old account still exists?

Doubt whether I can remember my username, anyway

Nicole Erin
01-24-2017, 05:14 AM
I go in and out. Something to do when I am bored.

They been saying it is gonna die off from day one.

KateSpade83
01-24-2017, 05:58 AM
I don't play those types of online games, but if I did, maybe it'd be this one: Star Citizen. But I don't have time to waste playing too many video games, because I got 1047 Steam Games already!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

It's been in a long time of development, too!

Mtempel
01-24-2017, 01:30 PM
I'm Tamie Foxclaw on there if anyone wants to play. Though I usually play with men

JasmeVee
01-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Was always wanting to ask about some posters avatar pictures here, 10 year sl vet here into the often ridiculed sl modeling field (female and male)

VeronicaMoonlit
01-24-2017, 03:48 PM
I am going to try and play Second Life. Seems like a lot of fun.

It can be, but it is like an MMO and can suck you in hard. I find it best to mix up SL with OTHER electronic pastimes.

I play Elder Scrolls Online,
Ardora The Red likes moonlit walks with handsome knights, Argonian wine, and burning her foes to ashes with bolts of lightning, laughing as they scream their last.

Reminds me of those online dating commercials for farmersonly. "You don't have to be lonely at VestigeOnly Dot Com. NPC's jus don't get it."

I personally don't like TESO (Breton Templar) as much as the single-player Bethesda games and stupidly addictive Star Trek Online. (Sci Betazoid Fleet Admiral with a T6 Pathfinder)

I never paid money into it to buy land,

"But Holly Greene, Land is the only thing that lasts, the only thing worth rezzing for! You get your strength from the plywood prims of SL."

I wonder if my old account still exists?

Yes it does, Linden Lab doesn't delete accounts. You'll probably have to change your password before you can login though.

They been saying it is gonna die off from day one.

Yep. There's been "SL is gonna die" posts on SLU (Second Life Universe, oldbie-centric SL-centric message board) and NWN (New World Notes, independent virtual world blog) for as long as I can remember.

10 year sl vet here into the often ridiculed sl modeling field (female and male)

ANYTHING related to SL fashion is a money sink, ESPECIALLY modeling and blogging. I should know...I was once staff on an agency and had a few gigs. Few as in 5 or less, but I was known more for my writing. Yea for in the Glorious Age of the past, in the age of Inviziprim shoes and ETD hair, when mighty Fashionistas strode the grid with their Puissance....I may have written for PXP and Linden Lifestyles. (Which were two of the old Big Three fashion blogs. I never filled out my hat trick because Second Style became defunct before I could write for them.) I've blogged on my own as well, but not for months and I was most certainly not in the modern day fashion-blogging Big Leagues like Strawberry Singh and a few others.

My avatar's display name is "Ms. CC Creeggan". I has a SL/gaming centric flickr...which has more not-SL pictures these days. I still TAKE SL pictures...but don't get around to uploading them or blogging:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cronocloudcreeggan

Veronica

JasmeVee
01-24-2017, 06:08 PM
Lol, i know all those references (and strawberry) probably crossed paths at some point. Shows for me is over 100

Jenni Yumiko
01-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Im on ESO N/A Pc, pm me if you Anna group up and marvel at each other's form fitting armor!

skirt_guy
01-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Looked for Second life in Apple App Store and found nothing but ViViWo and in the reviews for that it sounds like that is some kind of scam. There are Apps like SLnotifier so it must be out there somewhere but Im not seeing it. Thoughts?

Dana44
01-24-2017, 11:34 PM
I have second life on my computer and a female character. It is still a game online. but I haven't put money in it.

VeronicaMoonlit
01-24-2017, 11:40 PM
Looked for Second life in Apple App Store

SL is a virtual world for desktops and laptops, you won't find the SL client in the app store. You download it here:

https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

Veronica

Maria Blackwood
02-04-2017, 05:16 AM
New hair style for Ardora and level 20 light armor

Ardora and her menagerie. Pony, baby mammoth, summoned clannfear

I'm sorry, I have insomnia

Jenni Yumiko
02-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Morrowwind AND housing! Can't wait to line my closet full of armor....

Lily Catherine
02-04-2017, 12:32 PM
I was on SL for a couple years on and off, under a few different handles. Only in exactly one account did I present male.

My wardrobe was mostly jeans eventually, although the tops were frequently pretty... skimpy to say the least. I try to emulate what I would wear in real life, but with longer and fuller hair, and of course being taller and prettier.. There are excellent freebies if you look hard enough.

I did spend a disproportionate amount of time in various ballrooms so of course much of my in-game currency was spent on evening gowns (mostly white and silver) and jewelry. Thankfully the wardrobe is virtual - one would ask if I were running a wedding boutique if they saw that part of my wardrobe.

Wen4cd
02-04-2017, 01:37 PM
I kind of (loved it and) hated it. Too "alluring" and escapist, and essentially it ended up being just an overblown sex chat app. It totally lost me when I wandered in an area where I could hear people talking on microphones. It sounded just as crass as CB radio did in the 80's, only illustrated with overglamourized, twinkling avatars.

Christina D
02-06-2017, 10:06 PM
I remember a friend trying to get me into SL, and even though I was really into MMOs at the time, it didn't do much for me and I only played for about a week as a male avatar.

However, when given the choice in almost every other video game (which many modern games do), I always play as a female character. Usually it's just an aesthetic choice, but some games associate female characters with abilities and characteristics that I like in a lot of games, like being quick, silent, and sneaky...female rogues are the best!

Maria Blackwood
02-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Week off to a bad start? Could be worse...

So, how was *your* Monday?

Jenni Yumiko
02-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Solo? I tried a few bosses solo, it has never worked out for me. Which house did you all get. I have enough crown points from plus to get any house. I really like the island, but there isn't much in terms of internal housing. I was thinking of a mid sized house with an outside.