PDA

View Full Version : Will you help?

Rogina B
01-30-2017, 06:25 AM
Based on the need for privacy or secrecy here,I think there are many forum members in the closet and show "their other side" to their vanilla world. Trans people are facing a bleak future beating at the moment. We need allies in the business world as that is the employment world. Or perhaps you are in the education field..I want members to realize that being a supporter of transgender people in their community does not "out them" to the world. As part of attempting to pass an HRO in Jacksonville Florida over the past few years,we have engaged open minded and supportive business leaders. They have spoken up for the alphabet community and freely hire us. So,as an employer,supervisor,teacher,etc will you do your best to support the community by giving transgender people a chance in education and employment. Being an ally does not out you !

carrie001
01-30-2017, 08:18 AM
I completely agree!

GretchenM
01-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Rogina,

Good request and I agree being an ally of the mission for equality for all does not out you except as being a compassionate and caring person who believes in equality. I rarely ever go out fully dressed; I rarely ever dress. I try to express my feminine identity in behavior based on a feminine way of thinking about the world, something a lot of males have great difficulty doing. I always put a plug in for the LGBTQ equality effort whenever the occasion arises. It is even more important now than it was a short while ago. Where I live (the city, but not necessarily the State) trans people are pretty much accepted or at least tolerated in most ways. I am retired and therefore not in the job world anymore, so my effort there is highly limited. That is no reason to not support the efforts of others - every voice counts. Even in my liberal community there still exist a lot of people who don't think that way. They are everywhere. It is the nature of having a diverse society. I am with you. The message is you don't need to become an LGBTQ identified person to be accepting and tolerant of those who are. They are not bad people; they are just who they are like non-LGBTQ people, and they are far more like everybody else than those who are intolerant imagine.

Gretchen

Lana Mae
01-30-2017, 09:17 AM
I agree! I am semiretired and plug for LGBTQ+ on face book every chance I get! Not concerned about getting outed supporting the community is what is important! Hugs Lana Mae

Laura912
01-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Agree, and that is the reason I wrote an editorial under professional name and title condemning HB2 in this state. But, will admit thought twice about doing that. However, if we cannot help ourselves, how can we ask others?

ronda
01-30-2017, 10:30 AM
people help people are that helping themselves so we have to help our selves to get help

Nigella
02-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Thread restored

Lorileah
02-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Moderator note part 2: Please keep this about LGBTQ rights and not about any political party or member of that party. Keep the discussion on point. If it degrades into a political shouting match, it will be closed. All posts that imply or in any manner specific political bends will be deleted or edited.

Thank you for flying CD.com

Exris
02-01-2017, 03:01 PM
So,as an employer,supervisor,teacher,etc will you do your best to support the community by giving transgender people a chance in education and employment. Being an ally does not out you !

Hire/Fire isnt a big part of my role. I do interview people... but we take on few staff as we are a highly specialized company and there are not that many people in the world that can cut it with us.

But I promise you personally - and the wider community in general. I would cut alot of slack if a TG or even openly CD were my interview. I would even lower the bar as much as I could and cover it with "they are willing to learn". We have done that in the past and it wouldn't be unusual.

But they would have to be able to do the job eventually. We are getting better... we only have a 25% (ish) probation throw away rate. When I started with this company it was between 50% and 60%.

My position as a lead DBA would be untenable if I just gave someone lots of money each month to fail. But Im very willing to give them a shot.

And working for Oracle is cool. It's the Death Star for gods sake ;)

Lacey New
02-01-2017, 05:56 PM
I agree. In the working world, the subject comes up periodically - Caitlin Jenner, Chelsea Manning, National Geographic and my consistent replies to the objectors are things like: "Why do you care?" "What difference does it make to you?" "When is the last time you saw an armed motorcycle gang of crossdressers?" "or when was the last time you saw a crossdresser - at all?"

Tracii G
02-01-2017, 09:01 PM
For all you out there worried about laws changing, the new head honcho said numerous times everyone has rights and he will abide by the laws already in place.
Don't believe all the facebook rantings of activist types Rogina.
The trans outlook is not bleak at all.

VioletDoll
02-01-2017, 09:08 PM
I'm having less faith in everything, everyday..
But I did see this,
http://newhopetx.gov/important-message-from-the-mayor

Made me happy..
Someday, will you pick up your protest sign?? Will you put your wig on too?

Rogina B
02-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Tracii,I do not think that many on here are affected by any changes as they do not live an out life. However,I just wish to remind them that they CAN possibly make a difference in a Transgender person's future by being a friend...And it doesn't "out" them.

Tracii G
02-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Ok I figured that was what you meant but I wanted to ease some peoples fears of the future.
I agree be a friend help out if need be and never "out" a sister.

TrishaTX
02-01-2017, 10:58 PM
I work in financial services in a pretty good position. My pay back is never looking at anyone differently, regardless of who they are and hire based on skill set. I also temper an industry that is probably not as accepting. I don't think the world changes in 5 minutes, it takes an effort for a period of time by many in small ways. Change is slow sometimes, but as a group in different ways we can effect change. I think much has already occurred, keep the faith.