PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning

Fainne the King
03-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I'm sure not all of us have been CDing forever, so when and how did you transition? Did you just show up one day as a guy? And weren't people surprised?
Also, is it appropriate to put your gender as male on forms and things if you're genetically or legally a female?

Sorry for having so many questions, but I'm fairly new to this.

mistunderstood
03-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the confusion. I my-self am starting to go guy full time and it seams to get confusing more every day.

CaptLex
03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, I'm sure not all of us have been CDing forever, so when and how did you transition? Did you just show up one day as a guy? And weren't people surprised? Also, is it appropriate to put your gender as male on forms and things if you're genetically or legally a female?

Hi Fainne,

My situation is kind of different (I think) in that I started crossdressing as a youngster and then stopped and didn't resume it again for many years. :eek: I started as soon as I was old enough to buy my own clothes (early teens) and even though I sometimes dressed in girl clothes, it was usually only for special occasions (weddings, prom), and mostly because it was expected of me. By my late 20's I became more and more uncomfortable in female clothing and started dressing androgynously. I realized only recently (in the last year) that this was my way of compromising because my CDing made people assume I was a lesbian (which bothered me) and female clothes made me uncomfortable, so I combined the two. :rolleyes:

I dressed this way throughout my 30's, not really realizing that this was a compromise. I was just happy not to wear distinctly female clothes anymore. Just over a year ago I stopped taking female hormones that I was on for health reasons and before I knew it, I was back to crossdressing again (at the age of 44). This made me examine myself more carefully and I realize now this is what I've always been most comfortable with. As to other people's reactions: people who don't know me well still assume I'm a lesbian, but I couldn't care less now. People who have known me for years know that's not the case and I'm sure they have noticed the change in wardrobe, but they don't ask. I'm sure they just chalk it up to my being eccentric - which is fine with me. If anyone asked, I would probably explain it, but people don't ask and I'm just happy to be me now. :D

As for the name question: I'm not a legal expert (although I work with lawyers) and I know usually legal issues vary from state to state, but I would assume it's probably not entirely legal to put your gender as male unless you have legally and officially changed it.

Hope this was helpful. :cool:

RevMoonSerpent
03-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Ever since I can remember as a kid, my parents have always given me some choice in how I would dress. The only time I can ever remember being forced to wear a dress was for church and when I got older in school for concerts. (big band nerd here:happy: ) Otherwise I have always chosen my clothing style after men even when shopping in the womens department.
It wasn't until after graduating High School that I started dressing full time in men's clothing which I was comfortable in so I never happened to just go to work one day and say, " Hey I'm a man." However, when in the work place (old job was always like casual Friday) people began to ask me why I wore mens jeans etc. At the time I wasn't aware that I was transgender only that ever since I was about 6 I didn't feel right in my body. So peer pressure even as an adult pushed my back into dresses and skirts.
Now, I have my own business so no peer pressure. I wear what I want and the handful of close friends that I have know about my lifestyle.
Just like CaptLex, before I got married, most people made the assumption that I was a lesbian because of my CDing and for awhile it bothered me too. Now when I'm just hanging out in public and strangers look at me I can tell they are thinking, "is that a boy or a girl?"
On a personal note, I just happen to be lucky that when I came out to my husband, not more than a few months ago, because up until then I didn’t admit to myself that I was transgender, he said he pretty much already knew and loves me for who I am. This makes it kind of fun now since we go shopping in the same departments together.
I hope this helps.

CaptLex
03-07-2006, 10:46 AM
On a personal note, I just happen to be lucky that when I came out to my husband, not more than a few months ago, because up until then I didn’t admit to myself that I was transgender, he said he pretty much already knew and loves me for who I am. This makes it kind of fun now since we go shopping in the same departments together.
I hope this helps.

Cool, bio, ladymoonserpent - thanks for sharing. It's great that your husband is very cool about it - can I clone him? :eek:

RevMoonSerpent
03-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by CaptLex
It's great that your husband is very cool about it - can I clone him?
You aren't the first person to ask me that. I'll let you in on a little secret. He's only this perfect because I have been training him since we were 8 years old.:)

Abraxas
03-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Well, I'm sure not all of us have been CDing forever, so when and how did you transition? Did you just show up one day as a guy? And weren't people surprised?
Also, is it appropriate to put your gender as male on forms and things if you're genetically or legally a female?

Sorry for having so many questions, but I'm fairly new to this.

I would say, as to the form thing, that depends on what it is. I would say probably not on things like school enrollment forms, legal documents, etc., but I do wonder about other, strictly voluntary- type forms, like political surveys or job applications, etc.