PDA

View Full Version : Did I get read?

Dragster
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Went shopping with my wife today, and she spotted a cardigan/wrap she liked the look of. We went upstairs to the fitting room for her to try it on, and it was a bit short. I went back down to look for a larger size, only to find out (after asking) that it was "one size fits most", so I took their whole stock (4 garments) back up to find the best fit. I then came down to pay for it (like a good husband) while my wife re-dressed and returned the rest to the rack. I said to the assistant "This is the one that fits best, so I'll take it". She said "Fits you best, or your wife?". I just said "You'll never know", mischievously, then she looked me straight in the eye for a second or so, and a questioning grin spread across her face as she took my credit card. The banter stopped as my wife appeared at the till, and I think it's a good job she didn't overhear the comment; she's still no where near comfortable with my CD desires!

So, do you think I was read? Had she noticed how I handled the other clothes on the racks while we browsed in the shop before finding the cardigan? Or do shop assistants regularly make similar comments these days? I enjoyed the short dialogue, and although I said "you'll never know", maybe she did!

Tony

Shelby
03-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I think she was just playing or flirting. Not having been there though, its hard to tell.

_Janelle_
03-03-2006, 09:40 PM
I think she was initially flirting, but your reply gave her something to think about and probably wasn't what she was expecting!

tvgirl4fun
03-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Well at least you now have a place to shop where you should receive some help if you want. Jaie

Adnama
03-03-2006, 09:46 PM
That's interesting because a similar thing happened to me recently. I was asked almost the same thing: Is it for you or your wife? (online purchase) I don't have a wife, but she didn't know that.
I think women are very perceptive about things like this, and pick up little things that we don't even realise we are doing and saying. It could also be that we are comfortable with it and not just hanging around the front of the shops with all the other men too.
For me it was things I said that gave it away :winking:

Amanda

jenny_centaur
03-03-2006, 10:03 PM
She said "Fits you best, or your wife?".

I often wonder when I read stories like this, where the shop assistant tells the normally dressed male customer he'll "look good in this" (female clothing) or "looks like just your size" etc., what would happen if the customer was not a cross dresser and rightly went and complained to the management.

I say this because I've read many similar posts. I know plenty of men who buy sexy undies etc. for their SOs, who would hit the roof if the shop assistant suggested or implied they were buying it for themselves.

DonnaT
03-03-2006, 11:21 PM
You probably gave her good reason to think about it, and she's probably come up with the correct answer ;)

One way to find out, go in and buy something from her again, and see if she remembers you. If she does, then she thought about it.

MsJanessa
03-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Maybe she was transgendered herself

JoAnnDallas
03-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Many times I have either bought something for myself, helped my wife pick out something, or paying for her item. Most times I find the response of a fellow customer more interesting than the salesperson. Once I was looking at bilfolds and this one was nothing short of a great organizer. A fellow shopper made a comment that my wife will love it and I look at her and said "It's not for my wife, it's for me". She got this funny look for about a 30 secs and then said " I think the RED one suits you better". Then another time I my wife was shopping for some pants and she ask me to put some back. I went and found the rack and there was another shopper looking at the same rack. I looked at her and said "They don't fit". The other shopper looked at me and said "Have you tried that rack over there". Then there was the time when my wife was trying on something and I was outside the fitting room with her purse on my shoulder, wife asked if I would look for another in her size, and I was checking out some really nice blouses and I looked up at this shopper and she smiled and said "These are really nice". I responded "None of these are the right size". She responed "Have you tried the womens section".

Dragster
03-06-2006, 08:47 PM
I think most of you are right, she was just flirting with me. I seem to atract humorous comments from other people; maybe it's because I make them first! And you're also right, I don't think she got the answer she expected. I was supposed to go all embarrased and blurt out a denial, but she got a confident ambiguous response instead, delivered with a smile. I think she's got only a 5% doubt now, but I'm unlikely to take your suggestion Donna, and go back to buy something else. The shop's some distance away, and I'm unlikely to go there again without my wife. Shame really, I'd love to have gone back because there were some really great satin cheongsams on the rack upstairs, and I've wanted to have one of those for a very long time. Trouble is, I'd need to wear it with corset, bra, breastforms, stockings and heels to really appreciate the moment, and although I'm miles off doing that with my wife's current attitude, I think that shop assistant would be very supportive. And I liked her sense of humour.

Thanks for all your responses,
Tony