PDA

View Full Version : Bigger closets

Diane Taylor
02-21-2017, 11:55 PM
I realize that many of us at one time or another have used gay bars and support groups as places to go out dressed because they are for the most part a safe haven. They also serve the purpose of enabling us to meet others who share our crossdressing so they are in fact an important part of our never ending journey. But.....after a while if we don't journey out into the rest of the world they just become nothing more than a bigger closet. Any opinions on this?

Rachael Leigh
02-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Diane I agree, I was never one for bars so for me it was kinda eaiser to go into the vanilla world and now that I do I've found it to be more accepting then i thought

Nikki A.
02-22-2017, 12:26 AM
It was a start and gave me the courage to go out into the real world. Nothing really wrong with it, what ever floats your boat.

sharonsdream
02-22-2017, 08:44 AM
I agree with Leigh. Not much for bars. Went in to Burger King dressed early on and ate in. Afterward I wondered why I had worried so much.

Laurana
02-22-2017, 08:52 AM
You don't need to go to a strictly "gay bar". There are establishments out there that are very LGBTQ friendly. You just gotta look for them.

Me, I would never go to a gay bar. It's just not my scene.

Pat
02-22-2017, 08:53 AM
I suppose it's a way to put a negative spin on a positive thing -- sure, you go out, but you don't go out *enough*! I'd say there are no duties and responsibilities here; no standards to be met. Someone who feels they're at the edge of their envelope if they stand in their living room with the curtains open is just as brave as someone who goes out to lunch with their bank manager. Why get all comparative about it?

CONSUELO
02-22-2017, 10:55 AM
All we have to do is look at the gay community. They did not stick to gay bars but have moved on into the community at large. I have gay friends who rarely if ever go to gay bars. Why would they need to when they can be themselves wherever they are.

So, a good point Diane. Our community for the most part, is content to remain in the shadows.

docrobbysherry
02-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Whatever works for u, Diane. But, most of us r closet CD's! As we r not TS, we may not have the desire to engage in the drama and uncertainty of going to Burger King, the mall, etc. dressed. I go there to eat a relaxed lunch and to shop for things stress free!:)

I DO find going to gay clubs and CD friendly venues to meet other dressers a stress free extension of my "closet". And, I highly recommend them to other closet dressers!:thumbsup:

I had too much fun dancing and interacting with lesbians at Mary's, a LGBT club, a few weeks ago!:hugs:

Diane Taylor
02-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Whatever works for u, Diane. But, most of us r closet CD's! As we r not TS, we may not have the desire to engage in the drama and uncertainty of going to Burger King, the mall, etc. dressed. I go there to eat a relaxed lunch and to shop for things stress free!:)

I DO find going to gay clubs and CD friendly venues to meet other dressers a stress free extension of my "closet". And, I highly recommend them to other closet dressers!:thumbsup:

I had too much fun dancing and interacting with lesbians at Mary's, a LGBT club, a few weeks ago!:hugs:
I think some here are thinking I'm putting down others who don't venture out. This is not the case. I'm not putting down the support groups or the gay or trans friendly bars because I've been there and done that myself. My post was basically saying that after going to these kind of places for awhile I had to question myself as to why I wasn't going to places where EVERYONE else goes and that I was limiting myself and my own "growth".