PDA

View Full Version : Scored a free dress last night!

ellbee
03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
And no, I did *not* steal it! :devil:

Went to do my laundry in my apartment building. Saw a garbage bag full of clothes on the table, with a note in obviously female handwriting, something to the effect of, "Feel free to take whatever you like! :) Women's clothing"

Nice! :yippee:

Start rummaging through it a bit. Ugh, everything waaaay too small, according to the tags. But figured what the heck, never know... After I loaded up the washing machines, I grabbed the bag on my way out & headed back to my apartment to check out the goods.

First, yeah, all the items were clean & in excellent condition. Heck, a couple pieces still had the price-tag on! Pretty much all tops & dresses -- some of it actually pretty nice, in terms of style, quality & price. Not necessarily what I would buy, as it was a bit "young" for me... But free??

Sorry, but I don't wear a size freakin' 2. :sad:

Still went through each & every piece, as the sizes & fabrics varied. Held stuff up to me, and tried on a few pieces when I could.

Ended up keeping a cute (and very stretchy) black & gray tank dress. Bit short, but not like I'm getting all dolled-up & going out these days... Perfectly fine for pairing up with a hoodie & tights, and chilling out at home, though!

And yes, I did re-fold everything & bring the bag back to the laundry room. If it's still there in a few days, I'll probably dump it off at the donation thingy.

Anyway, thanks so much, anonymous neighbor! :wave:

DIANEF
03-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Nice, but I wonder why the donor didn't just take it to a thrift store themselves.

ellbee
03-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Laziness? :strugglin

VioletDoll
03-30-2017, 01:56 PM
That's always nice. My SO wound up getting a full bag like that from a close friend last summer. We went though it together.. she grabbed a few things. I think I got..
5 tanks, 2 dresses, 1 brand new corset and a blouse.

Yeah.. and strangely enough we know that her (friend's) "freaky ex boyfriend was a crossdresser"

ellbee
03-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Yep, females are "crazy" with that whole giving-clothes-away thing. Friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, strangers...

Rarely see it with guys, though.

Heck, years ago, some chick who only knew me online from a non-CD forum, knew I dressed. One day she asked me my size, then asked for my mailing address, as she had a few things she no longer wore. I'm like, eh, whatever, not necessary, but if you really want.

Later that week, I get in the mail a *huge* box. Must have been at least $500 worth of stuff! Don't really remember, but mostly lots of tops & slacks in excellent condition. Damn, girl! :confused3:

Anyway, who knows with mysterious laundry donor. One possible (yet highly unlikely) explanation may stem from the fact that quite a few of my apartment neighbors have seen me in guy-mode wearing women's clothing. Maybe this is their own weird way of feeling good about themselves by supporting that "whole LGBT thang" which seems to be so trendy these days? :strugglin

Then again, if you've lived in an apartment for any length of time, this kind of "Free! Take me!" stuff happens quite often, especially when they're moving out... Usually with furniture or electronics or other household items, but I suppose it can happen with clothing, as well.

terri-joe
03-31-2017, 12:12 AM
Nice! Recently had a similar experience at a recycling station but not all in good condition. The pile had a couple of velvet/velveteen items (skirts/dress) which I just took it for experimenting with styles. Had a maxi skirt (my size!!) with a missing button and lucky that the spare one was still available. Converting a way too small long tube dress/skirt(?) into something wearable for myself; the top was too small for me but it had a zipper so conversion was possible. The zipper was kaputt, cut it off and added straps. Who does/loves upcycling clothes here?

lingerieLiz
04-02-2017, 12:08 AM
I posted a while back that a friend gave me a whole wardrobe. She was going through a divorce and had gone shopping as much as she could to spend her soon to be ex'x money. She also lost quite a bit of weight so nothing fit her.
She bought new clothes and in most cases never wore them. I now have a wardrobe most women would die for.