PDA

View Full Version : TS teach and pupils

Swottie
04-02-2017, 07:38 PM
The school where my two teenage daughters attend in the UK sent parents a letter around 18 months ago saying one of their male teacher was transitioning to become female and that all pupils and parents are asked to address the teacher as Miss from now on. This is a girls only secondary school, which may be a blessing as I cannot see any teacher will survive otherwise if teenage boys are around. Not saying girls aren't capable of nastiness but I imagine boys would be worse towards a former male teacher. Still, I thought the teacher was incredibly brave to transition with the attention of a thousand plus pupils and their parents. If the school received any complaints or concerns, they kept it quiet.

Anyway, in the last couple of weeks, I learned that apparently there are two pupils who are now transitioning too! One is FTM and the other they think might be MTF. Eitherway, I'm really proud that my kids are reacting very well and respectful to them, using pronouns of their chosen gender and not making a fuss over it. No doubt the school gave them all the prep talk and info they need.

The daughters don't know about my dressing, so they're not just being polite to me.

If only all schools and pupils are as well informed and accepting.

Oh and this is in the north of England! ;) weare definitely unjustifiable seem as backwards or arrogant or anything like that.

SometimesKairi
04-02-2017, 08:01 PM
North England?
Wow I AM shocked!
If I even bring up the subject in the company of Northerners (and I work with a lot) the replies are always out of touch and graceless.

So I'm really happy to hear not all are like that

Beverley Sims
04-03-2017, 02:59 AM
Interesting........ I am always cautious about dressing in Liverpool and Glasgow, they just don't seem like the place to wander around dressed.

Rachelakld
04-03-2017, 05:30 AM
I thought all us Yorkshire men were a bit crazy, got a picture of my dad and brother posing in a bra at Blackpool back in the 50's :)

My teens are fine with my fluidity as are some of their close friends.

My kids went to a school with 2,000 others and there were a few transgended kids, even had a few "girls" sleepover when my girl had her girlfriends over for parties.

Swottie
04-03-2017, 05:54 AM
I have to say admit, not all, or dare I say not *many* northerners are so accepting. Just happy my kids' school is.

rachelatshop
04-03-2017, 08:20 AM
From everything I have read, the children are very (mostly) accepting the problem is almost always with the adults (either present or often the parents, and it is their ideas that affect the children)

Jodi
04-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Will e FTM be able to remain in the all girls school?

jodi

Swottie
04-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Will e FTM be able to remain in the all girls school?

jodi

Probably not for long, but I didn't want to prob too much at risk of appearing like a nagging parent, or abnormally keen on the subject.

Jane G
04-03-2017, 01:55 PM
There was a MTF pupil at my kids school, he came to our home once as a friend of my daughter. I understand she came to the final prom dressed and has moved on from there as a woman. I have to say I was basically jealous. Good look young one. To each there own path.

giuseppina
04-04-2017, 08:01 AM
A teaching moment for all concerned.