PDA

View Full Version : Looks like progress to me

suzanne
04-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Yesterday, while driving through the city, I saw a wonderful thing. A group of 5 or 6 people outside a restaurant. One of them was a man, perhaps in his late twenties, in a skirt. He wore a Jean jacket, black work boots with black socks and a black and brown skirt that was about mid thigh in length. The outfit looked completely normal for a customer at a brewpub, not over or under dressed. A woman dressed exactly the same would never get a second thought.

I did not stop or slow down or honk, so I was one of hundreds of anonymous cars that drove by and didn't call undue attention to him. But my thought was "Bravo, my brother. Keep on living your truth".

This really should be a total non event, but it isn't quite yet. But the fact that he and his friends can stand in the street and feel completely comfortable wearing anything he likes is a sign to me that we crossdressers have little to worry about anymore. Or at least we are headed in the right direction.

Gabriella111
04-03-2017, 11:02 AM
That's awesome. Hopefully more and more people will feel comfortable living their truths. I love that I'm able to hold the hand of someone bravely living his.

I wonder if age matters. With him being young, does it maybe elicit a "Kids today..." sort of acceptance/tolerance, or is it really just more of an overall non-event? I suppose there's no single answer, rather it all depends on the where, who, and when.

suzanne
04-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Gabriella, I love that you're so supportive. I hope he is as good to you as you are to him. Only one word troubles me slightly: bravery, and unfortunately you are right in calling it that. It saddens me that it still takes bravery for a man to dress in a nonstandard way. People have called me brave too, and I long for the day to come when it's not a requirement.

JenniferMBlack
04-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Ill add mine here because it is in the same line. I spent all day yesterday as a man wearing a skirt, including several hours at a park. Not one comment or sideways look that i saw from kids, parents or teenagers. Tbis has not always been the case.

Victoria Demeanor
04-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Suzanne,
Not trying to burst any bubbles there, but by your description are you sure it wasn't a kilt? I had a freind that aways wore what they call a tactical kilt. They come in black, brown, OD green, and even camo. Unlike the traditional plads, but with the same pleats. Honestly I've never really been clear on the difference between kilts and skirts, but I still think it's pretty cool.

sometimes_miss
04-03-2017, 12:36 PM
the difference between kilts and skirts
OH that's easy. If it's a guy wearing it, then you call it a kilt.

suzanne
04-03-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm of Scottish descent. I know a kilt from a skirt. Kilts are not worn at mid thigh length.

JenniferMBlack
04-03-2017, 01:04 PM
A kilt is a skirt. It is more of how it is made thwn who wears it. A kilt has the flat front and pleats in thw back. True kilts are wrap around style. Typically worn about knee length.

Leslie Langford
04-03-2017, 01:37 PM
A "true" Scotsman wears his kilt "commando-style" i.e. with nothing on underneath, which is the way it is traditionally meant to be worn.

Can the same be said for all skirt-wearers, female or male? :heehee: :eek: :D

suzanne
04-03-2017, 03:05 PM
I am of Scots descent. I can tell the difference between a kilt and a skirt. It's not uncommon in my area to see men on the job wearing a kilt. The guy I saw was wearing his at mid thigh height. That is not a kilt.

Lana Mae
04-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Sounds good to me! Glad he could wear what he wants! Hugs Lana Mae