PDA

View Full Version : Locked out of my hotel room, again

Sarah Doepner
04-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Last year I went to DLV in Las Vegas and left my room without the key, locking myself out. I had to contact the desk and while in girl mode show my ID to the security officer to get back in. I told myself I'd never do that again. This year I went to DLV in Las Vegas and left my room with the key, and a backup. This time the hotel locked me out.

The night before this happened I arrived late and was given a room facing the freeway and all it's noise so in the morning I requested and received a room change, right across the hall to an interior and much quieter room. A bellman even delivered the new key cards right to my door. After I moved I figured I would be in girl mode for the rest of the week! Yahoo!

Evidently the proper box was not checked and the new room was still listed as vacant. While I was out for the evening having a nice dinner and visit with old friends, they tried to move someone in to my new room. When they found it full of my things their policy dictates they secure the room until the owner of said things arrives. I got back to the room around 10:00 PM and couldn't get in. It took two walks down to the desk where I had to show my ID (multiple double takes and a visit with the manager), multiple phone calls, contact with a security officer and her supervisor, two workers from Engineering who needed to check the batteries in the lock, and not quite 3 hours before my keys were working and I knew I had the room for the rest of the week.

Throughout the ordeal I was treated well and other than showing my ID the only gender problem I personally faced was when the security officer told the registration desk over her two-way radio that "She" was in the room. At the desk they were looking at "Dave" on the registration and got confused again. I have written a nearly 5 page story from this, so as long as this post is, it's the Reader's Digest version.

Years of coming to grips with my gender identity, the lock-out last year and their training made this frustrating but not something that put me off ever going out in public again. I can't say that it would have been the same for someone getting out the first time. With that in mind I've contacted the hotel manager and started a conversation to help them see how the event effected me and could have been both better and also resulted in consequences that were much worse.

On the positive side I have a new level of confidence and one more story to tell.

AllieSF
04-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Don't worry Sarah, your experiences are definitely not unique. I have had that problem numerous times, only occasionally being my fault. Those systems are not infallible and fail regularly for unknown reasons. Last year at The River City Gems Sparkle formal annual event that happened twice. They finally sent someone to check the card reader on my door, and of course it worked him and continued to work for me until I left. Maybe he had the magic curative touch?One of life's irritations which can be a serious issue for those just venturing out into the real world.

Teri Ray
04-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Hi Sarah,
Interesting story. Hope you otherwise enjoyed your time at DLV. Where does one get to read the long version?

sharonsdream
04-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Had a similar experience in Omaha. I had checked in dressed freshened up and went to dinner. Up on returning it wouldn't open the side door. Had to go bavk yo the desk after entering the front door and it wouldn't let me in my room.
They reprogrammed my cards and said I must have had them with my cell phone. I never knew. Have been back to the same hotel twice since and always en femme. Great experiences.

Just Nikki
04-05-2017, 08:07 AM
I'm learning to relate to things like this. It's funny that I never have these kinds of issues to deal with when I'm in drab.:idontknow:
~Nikki

Jaylyn
04-05-2017, 08:24 AM
I enjoyed reading your story. You definitely almost have a screen play or a comedy in the making " the adventures of Sarah"
I definitely see where that could be a night mare for a first time dresser out in public. I think though you being an old hand at it sounds like you handled it very well. Glad you finally got the room you wanted and at least enjoy DLV. I would have probably been a wreck after the ordeal and packed up and went home demanding my money back.
My wife gets Readers Digest lol maybe she will tell me about the story and I can tell her oh that is old news to me... Lol

Alice B
04-05-2017, 11:49 AM
It is DLV and is LasVegas. Other than being inconvenced it is no big deal. When at DLV I often go to the front desk fully dressed. No one cares other than to help you.

kimdl93
04-06-2017, 07:06 PM
You do seem to have a remarkable talent for getting locked out!

BLUE ORCHID
04-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Hi Sarah :hugs:, That sounds like a Baptism of fire, After all of that fun you should be ready for anything...:daydreaming:...

Becky Blue
04-07-2017, 02:53 AM
Thanks for sharing your story and good that it ended well and that everyone was respectful. Your story reminded me of a very close call I had at a hotel, one day I will post it. I have locked myself out of hotel rooms when in drab countless times including one episode at a hotel where I am sure they have banned me for life as being too stupid to be given a keycard. When I checked out I gave them back 6 cards!!

Sarah Doepner
04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
I need to offer a bit of followup to the story.

Near the front desk is a large poster of the General Manager with an invitation to contact his "Hot-Line" if there was anything to share about staying in the hotel. I called, left a voice message and after a bit of telephone and email tag, spent some time chatting with a very nice hotel manager, not the big guy himself. We went through what information she had and all my notes and sorted the events out, both for what issues she had with how her staff operated and followed policy and how those failings impacted me as a customer. I let her know that my gender presentation didn't appear to be an issue from my perspective, but no one who had the chance to take ownership of the issue on the part of the hotel, did so. That extended a problem from something that could have been resolved in a half hour to a nearly 3 hour ordeal.

At the end of the conversation we thanked each other and I now have two nights, on the house, waiting for my next visit. I'll do one more draft of the initial story and post it in the story and poetry section of the forum before too long.

Dana44
04-07-2017, 02:17 PM
I got locked out of my room this time also. I went down and told them and they had me checking out. I had to go back down later and talk to them again to straiten it out. Crazy. However I went and talked to them in fem mode as I was fem all week. No problem. they knew who I was and it finally got straiten out. Perhaps next year I will not arrive a day early.

IleneD
04-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Sarah,

Darling, my heart goes out to you. Been there, done that and with a far worse outcome than you experienced. Trust me. It could have been worse at a different locale.

I was staying at a B&B out in wine country; biking and traveling alone. Of course I brought a dress along in my backpack and gear for evenings. This B&B had no on-site staff after the early evening hours and I was given an outside key to re-enter. I spent an evening in the brick courtyard drinking wine with a woman I met. Yes, I was dressed. I had one nightcap alone and then started for my room. I realized I did not have my key, and instantly the image of them ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER inside flashed though my mind. I knocked on the door but I was one of only a couple guests and no one could hear me.
I had an emergency phone number to staff but after a couple hours stranded in the dark and a dozen desperate calls, I was stuck outside with the prospect of having to sleep outside in the courtyard and being "discovered" in a dress. In desperation I took a large rock and smashed the window on the back door and let myself in. I found my keys and went to my room. Come morning I met with the proprietors to explain the damage and make restitution for the glass. The Owner later told me he saw the security video of me stranded in the courtyard and breaking the glass. Quite a good sport about it all, and discreet. I gifted him with a fine bottle of scotch.

RADER
04-07-2017, 06:01 PM
When my Wife and me went on Vacation, she would always put a room key in her Bra.
It sounds funny, and maybe a little strange, but it did work one evening upon returning
to are room, my key did not work; But at last my wife's hidden key came out to the rescue.
Mt key was in my shirt pocket next to my cell phone, It wiped out the information on
he cards magnetite strip.
Just a thought for next time.
Rader

Sarah Doepner
04-07-2017, 06:56 PM
When my Wife and me went on Vacation, she would always put a room key in her Bra.
. . .
Rader

I have been using that technique for a few years, particularly when I don't have pockets and only a purse and it's saved me once or twice. This year I put the key a little too high in my bra and lost it. I was worried I'd lose my one remaining, working key before I checked out in another couple of days. Of course, it didn't matter where I kept my keys that first night, I was locked out by the hotel since they just wanted to meet me up close and personal.

Sarah Doepner
04-10-2017, 01:20 PM
A full rendering of the story has been posted in the Writers Society section of the forum.

jennifer0918
04-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Intresting story hope you enjoyed DLV.I want to ask ,did anyone do the dam tour?any comments on the dam guide?and did anyone ask any dam questions? Lol,DLV is on my bucket list along with a dam tour ; )

Sarah Doepner
04-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Intresting story hope you enjoyed DLV.I want to ask ,did anyone do the dam tour?any comments on the dam guide?and did anyone ask any dam questions? Lol,DLV is on my bucket list along with a dam tour ; )

Jennifer,

I went on the last "Insider's Dam Tour" back in 2001. Debbie, who lead the tour, was a member of the now disbanded Las Vegas Tri-Ess group and worked in a position of responsibility Hoover Dam. We did a great tour all in guy mode, even walking across the roof of the powerhouse picking up quarters people had rolled down the face of the dam. There may have been tours since, but there have been two changes, first is Debbie has retired and that tour was just before 9/11 and security concerns has restricted access since then. So all of them have been the "Official" tour and not nearly as inclusive as what we got that day.

We did a lot of other things at DLV this year including the Limo Tour, visit to the Erotic Heritage Museum, an Escape Room Challenge, Mini-golf, full size golf, target shooting, late night dancing, lots of eating, High Tea, LOVE by Cirque Du Soleil, and lots and lots of dinners. Keep it high on your list, I've always enjoyed the experience and always have at least one marvelous adventure.