PDA

View Full Version : Driving while dressed &in heels

dawn459
04-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Those of you who go out fully
Dressed driving in heels do you find it eaiser to wear a low heel vs a4"heel did you
Feel more incontrol of your
Driving with which shoe?

kimdl93
04-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Being 6'2 I seldom wear a heel higher than 3". Still I don't find it a hindrance at all. Perhaps thats a benefit of wearing Sh**-kickers for most of my life

sometimes_miss
04-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Even driving instructors suggest that women don't wear high heels when driving. I mean, you can even steer your car with your feet if you really want to, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Flats. No heels while driving for me.

hiheeledbabe
04-09-2017, 12:28 AM
I have no problem driving in single soled heels, no matter the height of the heel. 35+ years experience. I don't really feel the pedals well with large platforms. I recently bought a pair of 7" boots with a 3" platform, and couldn't wait to drive in them. Didn't care for it.

Alice_2014_B
04-09-2017, 12:42 AM
I'm never in less than four and a half inch heels when dressed up, whether staying home or going out.
Though I can (and have driven) drive in such heels, I just prefer not to; I just bring flats and switch.

:)

Diane Smith
04-09-2017, 01:03 AM
I have learned to drive successfully and (I think) safely in up to 5" heels, but unless it's just a quick errand around town, I prefer to switch to sneakers in the car because the floor mats and carpets are so hard on the polish on my nice and expensive shoes.

- Diane

jennifer0918
04-09-2017, 02:47 AM
I drive well in heels,but next time I will bring my flats,and change shoes.I feel a lot of gg's do that anyway.

kayegirl
04-09-2017, 03:03 AM
Always drive in flats, then change to heels on arrival. Apart from being safer, it avoids damage to heels.

Jane G
04-09-2017, 03:13 AM
At 6' 4" I simply don't wear 4" heels. Regardless. I wear training shoes when driving dressed. I enjoy driving too much to dilute the experience with heals. . Four Inch heels would simply be dangerous IMHO. Plus you will wreck your heels. May be that's just me.

Tiffany in heels
04-09-2017, 03:48 AM
i think i drive very well in my 5.5 inch heels. but when i do i prefer to take my right heel off just for safety.

Teresa
04-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Dawn,
Now I've gone back to a manual shift , I've started wearing wedges to drive in, I would hate to cause an accident by wearing heels, although I admit it is fun driving in heels .

Kaye also makes a good point about caring for heels and they do make holes in the carpet fairly quickly .

Mollyanne
04-09-2017, 07:07 AM
It took me a while to "learn" how to drive in heels and I have done that successfully so this is what I do.

Mollyanne

Ressie
04-09-2017, 09:08 AM
I tried driving in heels a few times. I didn't like it so I wear flats when driving. The pleasure of wearing heels doesn't seem as important as having the ability to hit the brake pedal when needed!

GenevieveF
04-09-2017, 09:52 AM
I travel a lot for work, flying then driving from airport to client. Generally, the drives are over 2 1/2 hours one way. I always drive in minimum 4 inch heels, then switch to flats :) when I get to client

Billie R
04-09-2017, 10:04 AM
I have driven in heels, wedges and flats. I have not noticed a difference. But safety first. If I ever felt uncomfortable in a pair, I would rather take them off than not be able to stop. I would say, no matter what the height is, use common sense.

Dana44
04-09-2017, 10:49 AM
I have driven in my highest heels and no problem. They seem to be able to push the gas pedal and brakes okay. Sometimes they even seem more comfortable than a boot or tennis shoe.

Ceera
04-09-2017, 11:13 AM
In male mode, back when I learned to drive, I was most often wearing popular styles of male boots with 2 to 3 inch heels. Didn't think anything of it.

Decades later, when I first tried driving in 3" high heels, I didn't find it difficult at all. For a while I was in the habit of keeping a set of ballet flats in the car, in case I was having trouble with the heels, but I usually only needed them when my feet were killing me from several hours of dancing in high heels. Now I only carry a spare pair of flat shoes if I will be on my feet in the heels for an extended time.

In short, I can drive in any pair of shoes that I can walk in, just fine.

Leslie Mary S
04-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Like Ceera, I drive in what I have on. The key here is to have on something that fits well. A GG friend of mine once said "If you heels don't hurt, you have the wrong shoes". I disagree, A well matched set of heels, properly matched too your feet should fell comfortable. Except for having a different angle on the pedals due to the extended heel , driving is no problem. My wife didnt even touch the floor with her heels.

Alice B
04-09-2017, 12:39 PM
If you are only going to be driving I suggesst flats. Better control of car and no one is going to see your feet. If you plan to get out and go somewhere you can change to your heels once you have arrived.

Jolene Robertson
04-09-2017, 02:58 PM
They have a TV show "Myth Busters" where they addressed this question. They had professional drivers who had never worn heels (or so they said) drive a course with regular shoes and again with heels. The time and accuracy of the course was the same either way, which they found most interesting.

Teresa
04-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Alice ,
I do agree with you on that point, I have been there and prove it can be done but we must think about safety of ourselves and others, I have to drive several miles on narrow minor roads, slipping off a pedal because I was being silly driving in heels is a poor excuse if you cause a serious accident . Besides I'm not too sure how happy insurance companies would be if it appeared in an accident report that you were trying to drive in 4"-5" heels, it's not so funny when you find your car is a right off and they waived the insurance cover !

Karmen
04-09-2017, 03:15 PM
I usually drive in heels when going out fully dressed and most of my shoes have between 3 and 4 inch heels. I have only one pair of really high platform wedges that are to clumsy to drive in them, but even walking in them is a challenge. Of course, it is a bit harder to drive in heels than in flats or male shoes, but I drive extra carefully when I'm wearing female clothes and shoes anyway. If nothing else, I don't want to get stopped by the police for speeding or some other traffic offense.
Nevertheless, if I would have to drive long distances or go out of the city on a highway where speeds are higher, I would wear flats just to be on a safe side.

Pumped
04-09-2017, 06:42 PM
I drive in heels up to about 6 inches with no issues. It just takes some adjustment and time.

DIANEF
04-09-2017, 06:47 PM
I have driven in heels up to 4 inch but feel much more comfortable in my boots with 2 inch heels. I wear those most of the time when out anyway.

Stephanie47
04-09-2017, 08:27 PM
I purchased a pair of flats for driving. The narrow heel of a shoe may tend to get stuck in the carpeting. If you really want to wear a four or five inch heel I suggest carrying a pair of flats.....just in case you have to do a heel to toe walk at a DUI stop. That's so you do not have to do it in your stockings.

lingerieLiz
04-10-2017, 02:33 AM
I no longer wear heels since I broke my foot and gotten old. When I was younger I wore 3" heels or less depending like most women of the times. I drove sticks and automatics. I enjoyed driving bare foot also. It felt nice through the nylons.

Geena Gee
04-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Both of my vehicles have manual transmissions. I've driven my Corvette with 4" heels, and no platform, and it doesn't seem like I have as much control. With any type of platform, I can't feel the pedals. Driving with the heels is like driving while wearing flip flops. The heel section of the shoe always gets in the way.
I haven't tried driving my Harley while dressed, but I have posed with it. Can't even imagine working a heel/toe shifter in heels... but, give it time, and I'll probably give it a try... LOL

-Geena

Paula2
04-10-2017, 11:31 AM
I like to drive in heels. We took my girlfriends 5-speed mustang out of storage this weekend and I drove it to the car wash in 4" heels.. She was teasing me because she cannot drive it in heels.. She keeps flats in her car for driving.. Lol

Pattie
04-10-2017, 12:02 PM
It's better to drive bare foot or with just panty hose than on 4 or 6 heels I always drive in hose weather panty or thigh highs. You can always put on heels before getting out to walk.
Pattie:battingeyelashes:

XemmaX
04-10-2017, 01:52 PM
take flats or whatever no high heeled shoes you have to drive in and then switch. Your life might thank you for a decision like that.

Paige Dehart
04-10-2017, 07:27 PM
I have used flats or sneakers for a lot of years. much safer in the long run.

Janine cd
04-10-2017, 08:36 PM
I bring my flats along when I drive, It just makes sense to be able to drive comfortably while fully dressed.

mikeb75
04-11-2017, 04:28 AM
I tried it my first time out but can't do it it seems to give me a lead foot and makes my driving leg hurt, So I wear a sneaker on my driving foot, a heel on my other foot and put the other heel on when i get to where I am going

LaurenDeHart
04-11-2017, 09:57 AM
My SO informed me that driving in heels also puts undo stress on the heels as well as your ankles, etc. I'm not trying to be Betty Bummer and I have no citations to back that up. Just passing along the message.

Lauren

ClosetED
04-11-2017, 01:14 PM
I have driven fine in 5" heels a few times. But it feels safer to have the flats in case.
Hugs, Ellen

Lana Mae
04-11-2017, 04:38 PM
I have not tried heels while driving so far! My driving dressed so far has been in flats! Maybe some day but it will probably scuff up my heels! :( Hugs Lana Mae

reinasblack
04-12-2017, 02:29 AM
Spike high heels destroy the carpet in my SUV .Puts holes in the floor.

Leslie Mary S
04-12-2017, 10:17 PM
At 6' tall in a KIA Soul while wearing 4"+ heels, I have never had a problem with the heels. Then again I have never been a pedal to the medal type driver.
The KIA Soul is not, and doesn't even have a hint of being, a sports car even though it is quite responsive when needed.
Just this evening I needed to get to a side street across the center line with heavy oncoming traffic when a 4 car length break in a line of vehicles doing 40 MPH came at me. I shot through it, using only a two car space in the middle of the 4 car gap.

Stacy Darling
04-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Without the shoe would be my pick, I'd rather lubricate the steering wheel and gear stick than drive heeled!
Not to mention ending up wearing a law suit, rather than a skirt, if there were to be an accident and I wasn't wearing appropriate footwear whilst in control of a motor vehicle ?

So which shoe ? none, touching the pedals with full control!

cosmolovesph
04-13-2017, 04:41 PM
I can't drive bare or hosed feet, I need shoes heels, flats, sneakers, flip flops etc...
My issue with driving and heels with my long legs is just getting used to swinging in my feet with the longer heels not hitting something :P

Karmen
04-14-2017, 01:53 PM
For me, driving barefoot is harder than driving in heels. I just don't have a normal feeling for applying a pressure on the pedals, especially when a quick and hard push is needed.

Julogden
04-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Back in my out-and-about days, I either kicked off the shoes when driving or else brought a pair of flats with to wear while driving. I couldn't drive comfortably in shoes with any significant heel.

docrobbysherry
04-14-2017, 08:26 PM
I don't brake with my 4" to 5" spike heels, I brake with the ball or arch of my foot. The higher my heel, the easier it is to find my arch!:thumbsup:
And, rocking my foot on the excellerator comes naturally.

Driving is the last thing I think about when I go out dressed.:doh:

I have to adjust my seat and mirror when I dress and DO find platforms both more difficult to walk and drive in. :sad:

pinkheels
04-15-2017, 03:47 PM
I always wear my heels. I love being able to pull up and step out the car immediately in my heels. Love how it makes me feel.

BrendaPDX
04-15-2017, 04:06 PM
I have driven in both, not too much difference for me. While it is harder to get in and out of the car, I love the feel of stepping out in heels. Brenda

Teresa
04-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Sherry,
It's easier in an automatic because your left foot can just rest but now I've gone back to a manual gearbox snagging the heel while trying to press the clutch quickly could cause a serious accident as Stacy and I mentioned it might not go down well with the police and insurance companies if wearing heels was the cause of something serious . Besides they do make holes in the carpets very quickly , as I use to complain to my wife .

I admit it is fun be we must be responsible when driving .

Jeanettew
04-19-2017, 08:00 AM
I drive many miles in my job and i usally change into 4" heels not far from home and drive the 300ks or how ever far I am going it is a lovely feeling

Judith96a
04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
I love driving with 4 inch heels on! Mind you, it does require a little extra care when switching from male flatties (foot is at a different angle).

Leslie Mary S
04-20-2017, 02:32 AM
I don't get it? What do heel heights have to do with driving?
+ + +
Like anything else you have to learn to do it. Practice, practice, Practice. If you never do it then you will have problems.
Take your heels and drive to an empty parking lot and drive. tots of turns, starts, stops, and backing up too.
It is how I taught myself to drive on snow and ice, taught my wife and all three children using this system. Even taught my self and wife to parallel park an eighteen foot mini-motor home in a twenty one foot space using traffic cones. I once did it in a 20 foot space and only backed up twice and no spotter.

Katie Louise
04-20-2017, 02:45 AM
The only pair of heels I have had trouble driving in is my sandals with a bit of a platform (about 1cm)

Beverley Sims
04-20-2017, 06:07 AM
A low heel is better for driving, if I have a 4" heel on I am aware of the fact that it can get marked by foot action on the pedals as you tend to lie the heel of your foot on the floor and slide it along when operating the clutch and brake.Other scrape marks come from operation of the accelerator.

daenna
04-20-2017, 10:02 AM
If I'm going out in heels, I take some flats with me to wear while driving, (I have a stick shift and heels can get messy).