PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing Or Transvestite Terms

ShirleyN
05-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Been thinking quite a bit about this lately as to whether or not I'm a transvestite or crossdresser.

Upon carefully thinking about it, I'm probably halfway between the two.
Somedays I'll lean towards "Crossdresser" and other days towards "Transvestite".
Anyone else have these moments?
:)

CONSUELO
05-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I don't know what the difference is. To my knowledge they mean the same thing with one being the older Latin form and cross dresser being the description of choice by many who felt there was a stigma attached to the word transvestite, especially when shortened to "Tranny". The latter has often been used insultingly.

Sallee
05-02-2017, 10:39 AM
I guess my comment is Whats the difference?
I consider my self a cross dresser not a transsexual because I have no desire to transition. I just enjoy crossing over every once in a while. I do work at keeping it in moderation. I guess I always thought the a transvestite and a CD were one in the same we are all members of the trans community be it TV, CD or TS or whatever initials are now in vogue. I agree that the non trans community may not be able to tell us apart but that is their problem and some CDs/TVs do become TS and do transition.

LeannS
05-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Shirley
I think I would identify with transgender myself.

Leann

DIANEF
05-02-2017, 10:40 AM
My wife works in a large supermarket and often tells me about the 'trannys' that come in to buy things. She never means it in an insulting way and the term is commonly used here in the UK. Personally I prefer cross dresser though I'm not hung up on it.

Lana Mae
05-02-2017, 10:51 AM
I prefer cross dresser as transvestite still has negative connotations! I am transgender as I have some GD! No plans to transition though! Hugs Lana Mae

Linda E. Woodworth
05-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Crossdresser, Transvestite, "Tranny", they're all the same to me.

I use what I feel like at the time.

Hell, with the state of today's educations some people might not know what a "transvestite" is!

Sandin Meknickers
05-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Really couldn't matter less could it? If someones dumb enough to make fun of a man in a dress, is it going to be fruitful to debate language with them?

Stephanie47
05-02-2017, 01:04 PM
I prefer to identify myself as a man who likes to wear women's clothing on occasion. In my youth (1960's) I would have been identified as a "transvestite." And, that was not a good thing. Any man who wore women's clothing was characterized as a homosexual, whether or not her was. Now? There are too many names thrown about in the media. I'm suppose to be somewhere on the "transgender spectrum," whatever the heck that means. To me transgender was a term that was associated with the classic man or woman "trapped" in the body of the opposite sex. I'm not a woman trapped in a man's body.

I realize society always wants to be able to identify a person and stick him or her into the proper category. But, me? I'm just a man who for whatever unknown reason likes to wear women's clothing.

Teresa
05-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Shirley I wish they would put out a sticky on this subject. It's all in the archives, just to give the answer again, there is no in between they mean the same thing.

Trans = latin, to cross, vestite = latin ,garb or clothes. Translated is to cross clothes or crossdress. The literal translation does not not have any sexual connection, that came later through media intervention,

I really don't mind which term I use but CDer is easier to write. More importantly to me is how it started and how to deal with it .

ronniegirl
05-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Transvestite | Definition of Transvestite by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/transvestite
Definition of transvestite. : a person who wears clothes designed for the opposite sex : a cross-dresser An older term for crossdresser is transvestite. Crossdressers often dress only in certain situations. They do not usually identify as transgender—most identify as straight men. — so from this definition the terms are synonymous..only transvestite has a negative connotation to it so I prefer the term "crossdresser" and feel the same way Stephanie does.

NicoleScott
05-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Shirley, if you want a discussion about terms, you should, for the purpose of the discussion, define the terms.
Since many members (including me) think they are synonymous, we should know why they are different to you.

SometimesKairi
05-02-2017, 03:07 PM
My understanding is -

Cross Dresser - Someone who casually wears clothes of the opposite sex
Transvestite - Someone who ALWAYS wears clothes of the opposite sex and lives as if the opposite sex despite no gender reassignment.

sara66
05-02-2017, 03:36 PM
I don't care either way. They are just words. Transvestite is a fun word to use with muggles, when you say it, they don't know how to react.:heehee:
Sara

Micki_Finn
05-02-2017, 06:10 PM
My understanding is -

Cross Dresser - Someone who casually wears clothes of the opposite sex
Transvestite - Someone who ALWAYS wears clothes of the opposite sex and lives as if the opposite sex despite no gender reassignment.

If you had to differentiate I'd say it was the opposite. At least when I was growing up, "transvestite" tended to have a fetish connotation.

That being said, transvestite is really just an older term for CD.

AllieSF
05-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Here in the USA, crossdresser was the first word I heard and pretty much means what it does today, someone who wears the clothes of the opposite of their natal assigned gender. Like some here, transvestite has had a negative connotation for me because that was usually assigned to men who dressed as women usually for sex. I do understand the Latin roots of transvestite, and also have read here from many UK members that transvestite is or was the general term used for what I consider a crossdresser. As we move into the future many more labels will get more complicated with debatable definitions and applications and new uses.

RADER
05-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Since I never go out fully dressed; I guess I am just a cross dresser.
O' Well, Life goes on.
Rader

Diane Taylor
05-02-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm neither because I don't label myself.

sometimes_miss
05-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Crossdresser and transvestite technically mean the same thing. Back in the mid 20th century, however, the term transvestite was used to describe a male who dressed in women's clothing for sexual excitement, with the assumption that he was doing it to try to attract men, in order to take the female role while doing so. As time had progressed, the term crossdresser has come to be used (I wonder who came up with it first) and has been used more often, to describe both those who get sexually excited by doing it, but also to describe those who do NOT do it for reasons that involve sexual activity. I also wonder when the mental health profession initially started to document those of us who do not connect our crossdressing with sexual behavior.

Nadia Wren
05-03-2017, 05:34 AM
Like some here, transvestite has had a negative connotation for me because that was usually assigned to men who dressed as women usually for sex.

Is this the only reason 'transvestite' has negative connotation?

Ressie
05-03-2017, 05:46 AM
Transvestite is more commonly used in the UK. Maybe if it were used more in the US the negative connotation would dissipate.

Fiona123
05-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Both terms do not really describe me. I consider myself transgender. "Crossdresser" describes an activity that I engage in from time to time but does not describe who I am. Transvestite is similar to crossdresser albeit somewhat dated and pejorative. I am speaking only for me here, though.

Jaylyn
05-03-2017, 08:15 AM
I guess the old saying is true you can call me anything just so you call me n time for supper. I always thought the words Crossdressers and Transvestite were not the same. The word transvestite to me was a sneaky, low down, guy wearing women's clothes to disguise themselves from the bad things they have done in the old movies. Today the term crossdresser can be the same as the low down scoundrel in the movies or it can be just a guy in women's clothes... Ummm sounds like they are the same thing.... By you gals getting out there and showing that you are just a guy that enjoys wearing the opposite sexes clothing the transvestite is losing its connotation of bad. I still though argue that in Genisis when the mighty supreme maker created Adam n Eve and they were nakkid ( I like that word) and the creator said it was good why the heck did humans screw that word up. Today we call them nudists but both words are the same, thus probably transvestite and CD are to.

Stacy Darling
05-03-2017, 09:14 AM
I need to refer to myself as something other than saying I'm sort of in between, so I'm quite happy to use the term Crossdresser!

Anyhow, in April 2017 I was categorised as being a crossdresser by a sub department of the NSW Aust. Health Department, and so do not come under the LGBT umbrella. That is all I will say on the matter!

Oh, Yeh! But If I go down on someone I can fit into the G or B category!

I'm just happy to be Crossdresser Stacy!

Majella St Gerard
05-03-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm on team crossdresser.
The name of this forum is Crossdressers.com not Transvestite. com or Transgender. com.
Just saying.

CONSUELO
05-03-2017, 01:58 PM
It is amazing how words take on additional meaning beyond the original definition and can be used in all sorts of ways. That's language for you folks.

Geena Gee
05-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Transvestite or Crossdresser? If you're gonna put a label on me, I prefer Geena.

-Geena

JMO2
05-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Crossvestite or transdresser? That's a tough one........:D

Leelou
05-04-2017, 01:05 AM
This is definitely a much discussed and interesting topic. I'll introduce a term that I haven't heard in a while, but that I've identified with for a long time: T-girl. Transvestite is clearly an outdated term, often referring to male prostitutes in drag. Crossdresser can mean any person that's worn the clothing that's determined by society to be that normally worn by the other gender. To me that means the first time I put on a pair of panties I was a crossdresser.

T-girl, to me, refers to someone who does the full presentation and ventures out into society presenting female. I know many consider it an ill phrase, but I identify as a T-girl, especially since some of my times out we referred to ourselves that way back in the day.

Stephanie Julianna
05-04-2017, 04:52 AM
I have lived through many labels trying to come to terms with who and what I am over the last 60++ years. I have been a 'boy in a dress", "transvestite", "girl wanna-be", and "crossdresser". I finally came to terms with who I am as I have gotten older and am proud to say that I count myself among the "transgender" community and more accurately "Gender Fluid."

Beverley Sims
05-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Transvestite?

There was no other name for it when I started.

Angie G
05-04-2017, 07:11 AM
6 of one half dozen of the other. I don't care witch I am I just like dressing up.when I'm dressed I'm happy.:hugs:
Angie

Tina_gm
05-04-2017, 07:32 AM
I don't care about which one. It was the term, an acceptable non slang term at one point. Then some collective minds got together and decided it was yucky and mean. One day they will do the same with crossdresser and we will become something else. Ho hum