PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Rubicon

AmyGaleRT
05-30-2017, 01:54 AM
On last Wednesday, I received the letters and forms from my HRT doctor that I will need to change my gender marker. This marks the point where I have medical corroboration identifying me as a woman.

On Thursday, I had my fingerprints taken electronically and sent to federal and state authorities for a background check, a necessary step for getting my name changed in Colorado. Since this involved spending significant money (about $100), and the results are only valid for 90 days, this really marks a "point of no return" in my transition.

That same day, I posted an official coming-out and transitioning announcement to both Facebook and Quora (a question-and-answer site where I have a prior Top Writer award, and which is one of my online "homes"). Responses on both sites were overwhelmingly positive, and, in fact, I received two separate private messages on Quora from site administrators, informing me that, if I wanted to change my name on Quora now, I would have no worries about officially running afoul of Quora's "Real Names" policy. I proceeded to make the change.

Friday, I sent out a "Dear Colleagues" letter to many of the people I work with at my company. Another outpouring of positive responses occurred, from my fellow software developers all the way up to the CEO himself, whose message brought tears to my eyes (although maybe that's the estrogen talking! :) ). It feels like the entire company is behind me as I make the transition.

If all goes well, by July 12, I will be a full-time woman legally and socially. It feels like it's all over but the formalities now.

- Amy

(Note that I have changed my signature block to reflect what will be my legal name. I consider "Tapie" to be my "maiden name," and have dropped it in favor of my original last name.)

steftoday
05-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Congratulations and best wishes going forward. You're the true you.

Adelaide
05-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Wow. I'm so happy for you. I could feel you smile through your posting....This is fantastic!

AlyssaJ
05-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Congratulations, this is awesome news. I too can feel the excitement just reading your post.

Michelle_
05-31-2017, 10:43 PM
Congratulations Amy.

Rachel Smith
06-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Congrats but you may find it is far from over. There are a million, seemed like it to me anyway, to be done yet. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

AmyGaleRT
06-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Congrats but you may find it is far from over. There are a million, seemed like it to me anyway, to be done yet.

Oh, I know! My "Transition Plan" document is ten pages, and that's mostly lists of everything that needs to be changed over after the "big stuff" happens. A few things I've been able to change beforehand, though.

- Amy