PDA

View Full Version : Did your mom eat Licorice?

Kellymay
06-09-2017, 06:52 AM
One thing I do remember it was my Mom Favorite.

Licorice has been shown in clinical studies to actually REDUCE testosterone levels

This research reinforces the traditional contraindication of licorice in pregnancy or possible pregnancy, where normal testosterone levels in the male fetus are essential for sexual differentiation and maturation. The recent availability of simple salivary hormone tests for testosterone invites simple investigations on the clinical effects of licorice on various clinical conditions.

Did people even think about this back in the day.

GretchenM
06-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Hmm. Interesting. If the active ingredient in licorice crosses the placenta then it might be a concern, but if not it would have no effect on the fetus. In one sense, the fetus exhibits a kind of parasitic behavior until birth. That is, it is an independent organism that inhabits another organism and draws some nutrients from the mother. So a male developing in a female operates with an independent hormonal system from the mother. Thus it all depends on whether there is transfer of the active ingredient that causes the reduction in testosterone. Just because it reduces testosterone in "independent" males does not mean it does so for a male fetus.

Lana Mae
06-09-2017, 07:25 AM
I did not know about licorice! I used to eat quite a bit of it in my early life (through the 20's)! Hmmm! Hugs Lana Mae Mom ate licorice but I do not ever remember seeing her eat it!

Kellymay
06-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Cortisol Stress Hormone Blocks Testosterone

Still looking for answers

donnalee
06-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Loved licorice as a kid and still eat it - at this point any hormonal effects are a bit immaterial.However I am very ticked of at American Licorice for renaming their packages "Red Vines" never liked them (no flavor), never will.

Kellymay
06-09-2017, 01:26 PM
There is more to this more research is needed.

Rachelish
06-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Licorice AllSorts takes on a whole new meaning.

Tina_gm
06-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Kellymay, any chance you work at a licorice processing plant and you are just going for a shameless plug? lol. Generally the foods and whatever else likely have very limited effect for people. I mean if breast massage alone really was able to grow breasts, augmentation would be a thing of the past, as well as forms.... Any home remedy or foods that we eat or don't may have some subtle effects, but not to a point where it is going to fundamentally change us, and or make us CDers where we otherwise wouldn't be.

Jaylyn
06-09-2017, 09:05 PM
This explains a lot..... Lol I love licorice... Maybe the red licorice is why I love red lipstick....??

Stephanie Voorhees
06-09-2017, 09:44 PM
I don't remember if my mom liked it or not, but I know I can't stand the stuff.

Tracii G
06-09-2017, 10:06 PM
I love how people say in clinical studies this or that happens and they never produce the actual clinical study results.
The whole presumption is ridiculous and it sounds like you are grasping for straws to explain why you are TG or think you are.

LydiaL
06-09-2017, 10:23 PM
My parents never had any licorice around. But my Grandfather (Dad's side) always had licorice in the house. The real black stuff nasty tasting, IMO. Licorice jelly beans nearly as nasty tasting.

Grandfather learned to have plenty of the red, sweeter, so called licorice (red vines?) on hand for us grand-kids with less tolerant palettes.

I would much rather chew on a couple of pickled jalapeno peppers than licorice.

LOL

Tracii G
06-10-2017, 01:16 AM
Its a strong flavor for sure I guess its based on anise.

reinasblack
06-10-2017, 05:27 AM
Cortisol Stress Hormone Blocks Testosterone

Still looking for answers

Cortisone is an antiandrogen
It steels materials needed to make T.

Cholesterol is the building block

Laura912
06-10-2017, 07:46 AM
This https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licorice_poisoning presents a nice summary. Nothing to do with suppressed testosterone specifically. It was one of those questions med students were asked on rounds to offer them a challenge.

sometimes_miss
06-10-2017, 08:29 AM
NOpe, mom didn't like licorice.

Heather Anne
06-10-2017, 09:31 AM
My mom didn't but my dad did and a lot and black licorice at that.

NicoleScott
06-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Do they still make BlackJack gum?

Kellymay
06-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Just kidding LOL Well maybe Mom was banging them down at the A&W after the drive in movie.

jennifer0918
06-11-2017, 01:50 AM
Licorice is good, so is red femme and black Testosterone?

DIANEF
06-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Yuk, can't stand the stuff, and if my mum did eat it during pregnancies it didn't seem to affect any of my brothers, all very 'alpha male' types.