PDA

View Full Version : would you go to a LGBT Pride event?

jacques
06-25-2017, 05:16 PM
hello,
have you ever been to a Pride event? Are Crossdressers welcome? Would you go dressed?
luv J

Fiona123
06-25-2017, 05:28 PM
I have not, but I wish that I was out enough that I could. It would be nice if I had a companion to go with.

My impression is pride events are accepting of all who fall under the very broad lgbtq spectrum including crossdressers.

Jeri Ann
06-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Hey Jacques,

Not only are there girls here that will go to a pride event, the ones in Texas will throw their own. Check the thread started today in the picture section about the Houston GNO. At the prompting of my girlfriends I scheduled the event but, because of major life changing decisions I am facing, I had to pull up short.

I regretted not being able to go because several of the girls need close supervision. However, none of them got arrested so all is well. Lol

Tracii G
06-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Of course they do.
I went last year in 50/50 mode and saw quite a few of my CD friends all dressed up.
Go and have a good time.

katiekat
06-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Good to hear. I also have been wanting to go myself. Just haven't been able to muster the courage to. I always had the impression that such events cater mostly for L/G/B and not so much for TG/CD

Kandi Robbins
06-25-2017, 06:16 PM
ANYONE is welcome at an LGBT event! ANYTHING is worn. Go.

Tracii G
06-25-2017, 06:26 PM
I'll bet you are more worried about being seen by someone you know at a pride event.
Come on be honest.

AllieBellema
06-25-2017, 06:32 PM
I've been to the local one here. I'd be tempted to go dressed up, but depends on if I can get somebody to drive me to the event.

Aunt Kelly
06-25-2017, 07:05 PM
However, none of them got arrested so all is well.
Well... we try. :)

Jacques,
Everybody is welcome at a Pride event. Last Friday night wasn't an organized affair (aside from small groups like ours), but it was a celebration of the whole LGBTQ community, plus some individuals that I'm pretty sure there is no letter for. The T people are outnumbered, but it just doesn't matter.

Go and have fun.

katiekat
06-25-2017, 08:13 PM
I'll bet you are more worried about being seen by someone you know at a pride event.
Come on be honest.

Nope. I could barely identify myself with full make up and hair on. I'm just not comfortable having male voice.

Tracii G
06-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Katie most of the CDs I know and trans people use their regular voices.
The voice is not a big deal at a pride event it really doesn't matter.
Just soften your regular voice and you should be fine if you feel more comfy about it.

Lana Mae
06-25-2017, 08:28 PM
I used my male voice at the MAC counter! No tar or feathers! No pitchforks! No burning at the stake! The techs had no reaction at all and acted as if I had spoken in a feminine voice! No problem! Hugs Lana Mae

Ceera
06-25-2017, 08:57 PM
I've been to Pride once in Texas (Austin) and once in Oregon (Eugene), and am looking forward to Eugene's next Pride event, which will be in August. Always went in full femme,and had a blast. Very accepting, even for the CD/Trans folk whose voice didn't match presentation. Usually at least a few tables doing outreach for local trans/CD resources and groups.

Ellie Summer
06-25-2017, 09:12 PM
I went to my first pride parade last year and totally loved it. Of course, I saw a lot of other T girls there, walking in the parade and milling around in the crowd. The support was fantastic. It was awesome to see all the religious groups marching and welcoming anyone and everyone to their church. Even the one protestor who was babbling on his megaphone about how everyone was going to hell made me laugh because he was such a doofus and people proudly showered him in candy and glitter. I absolutely can't wait for the next one!

katiekat
06-25-2017, 10:04 PM
Katie most of the CDs I know and trans people use their regular voices.
The voice is not a big deal at a pride event it really doesn't matter.
Just soften your regular voice and you should be fine if you feel more comfy about it.

Thanks for the assurance, ladies (+ Lana & Ceera). I'll give it a shot when there's one near me =)

Tracii G
06-25-2017, 10:20 PM
If your voice is keeping you from going out among the public all I can say is girl don't worry about go out and just be yourself.

Amanda Monica
06-25-2017, 10:48 PM
Thoughts...
1) Just when I finally worked up enough spirit since last year to be finally out and wanting to go to NYC Pride events today, I got stuck at work on back to back shifts, and couldn't make it. Aiming for next year.
2) I concur with Lana Mae. I have been out shopping and interacting in public several times since 2014, no chance to even remotely change my voice without sounding ridiculous. So I simple used my normal, everyday regular voice which happens to be male. No one cared or said anything. It's not like I was really fooling them anyway. At least at stores, they just want your money. Be calm and just own it. Seriously. The more nervous or awkward you feel, the more of that you will get in return. Mirror neurons - google it.
3) Ellie -- I would like to be showered in candy and glitter one day. (Without having to be bigoted to do so. :)
A-

valerieg
06-26-2017, 01:11 AM
I spent half of last Saturday (the 17th) at a local Pride festival manning the booth for our local support group (St Louis Gender Foundation). Go dressed to whatever degree makes you happy that day. There was no point on the spectrum that wasn't touched by someone walking by our booth.

Jackie7
06-26-2017, 08:44 AM
My wife and I dolled up, collected an old friend (gg age 85 with her floral walker,), went to Pride in NYC and marched near the head of the parade, I'll be posting more pix in the photos section later today. We had a blast, got a lot of cheers from the crowd as we ambled along. I can heartily recommend pride events for everyone, a totally lovely event. Mods I have photo permission from my wife and our pal to post their images.

DIANEF
06-26-2017, 10:31 AM
We have a huge Pride event here in Manchester, I would go dressed if circumstances allowed, at the moment they don't.

Stacy Darling
06-26-2017, 11:22 AM
As a Crossdresser I personally would not be anywhere near a LGBTIQ+ event,
I'm a crossdresser (I do really like another Guy, That's awkward)
Stacy

Cheryl T
06-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Haven't been yet, but I would go and enjoy the day.
Missed it this past weekend. We had plans and didn't realize the parades were scheduled for Sunday.

Bobbi46
06-26-2017, 04:57 PM
yes I would go as a supporter of our community, its about time everybody knew properly that we are here harmless and not some sort of sexual threat to people.

Alice Torn
06-26-2017, 06:36 PM
I am a bit of an individualist, and loner, and do not like "group think". I would not go, or feel right.

sometimes_miss
06-26-2017, 06:45 PM
I'm not out, and don't want to be. So, no. I understand that anyone can go, and that it wouldn't necessarily 'paint' me as gay, CD, TG, etc.. But just being there would make some suspicious, and I really don't want to have to deal with that and the potential ramifications, to me there's simply no up side.
To me, I'm quite valuable as an 'outsider' who supports all the 'other' folks who live the life outside the gender norms. It's easier to demonstrate acceptance and be a role model, than to try to argue for it as one of the people who are affected.

Meghan4now
06-26-2017, 07:31 PM
I went to the animal fair
All the birds and beasts were there.
everything from leather bear to gender queer. Amazed at the number and variety of people, and the number of parents and children.
Of course work had a marching contingent, as did my wifes work. But I did not go with them as I'm not THAT out. Didn't see anyone I didn't want to see, plus since I was dressed, it would have been unlikely to be recognized.

Yeah, I also spent my day working the crossport booth I will start another thread about it. Please share your observations.

I spent half of last Saturday (the 17th) at a local Pride festival manning the booth for our local support group (St Louis Gender Foundation). Go dressed to whatever degree makes you happy that day. There was no point on the spectrum that wasn't touched by someone walking by our booth.

donnalee
06-27-2017, 08:52 PM
Go!! Dressed if you can, but go! At the very least, it will build your confidence enormously and give you a sense of belonging; I think one of the biggest problems we have is the fear that we are alone and there is no one who will understand or sympathize and this is proof that this is not the case. It's very uplifting to see that you're not alone.

Teresa
06-28-2017, 12:55 AM
Jackues,
Our social group was approached by Boston college to represent the TGs in their Pride week, I asked if I could join them , it was an ideal opportunity to go out dressed and hopefully give something back. I picked the other two members up and drove through the town to the college. I wore the leather skirt in my avatar with a short sleeved cowl neck top and took beige heels to change into. We walked across the car park and met the organiser in the main reception , she showed us where we could set up shop and then showed us around and took us to the coffee shop for a drink.
It was a great experience to be out dressed all day obviously knowing people would look because we were representing the CD community. We spent much of the day talking to the organiser, sadly no one came forward to chat with us but I will definitely do it again . The other two members covered the Friday when more people turned up I think they had a good day.

It's one time when discrimination is hopefully thrown out the window, we didn't have any problems, but then we were expected to dress as representatives .

redtea
06-28-2017, 01:16 AM
No, I am strongly against the LGBT as a concept.

I am not against people being L-G-B or T.

ChristinaK
06-28-2017, 01:19 AM
A couple of years ago I went to the San Francisco gay pride parade with a gg friend. I wore a satin, polka dot blouse with tan slacks a d Mary Jane flats, of course with forms, wig and makeup. I was one of the normal people! There were so many flavors of everything I blended in like I didn't even exist! One gg girl grabbed my arm a d said I looked beautiful, which made me feel fantastic, but also made me feel like I didn't blend.

When I had to go to the bathroom, I stood in line with at least 20 other women and not one seemed to care or notice. Given the chance, I would love to go again and would feel extremely normal, given the fringe which attend the SF Gay Pride parade!

Sashauk
06-28-2017, 02:03 AM
This time last year I was in San Francisco on holiday and went to the Pride Parade in Market Street. Sadly, as I was on holiday, I only had male clothes with me as otherwise I think I would have gone dressed. A great day and I found everyone involved to be so friendly. There appeared to be a lot of crossdressers taking part - some like me not at all convincing - so I don't think I would have felt out of place.

SaraLin
06-28-2017, 05:59 AM
hello,
have you ever been to a Pride event? Are Crossdressers welcome? Would you go dressed?
luv J

um-m-m
hello.
No, I've never been.
As far as I know, SURE.
Would I go dressed? Here's where it gets difficult for me...
In my current situation (married to a barely tolerant SO), I couldn't go anyway - at least not without starting a war that I don't want or need. But let's say I got my kitchen pass, would I go? I just don't know. If I went, I would naturally have to be dressed, since that's who I am. BUT I tend to be very shy, retiring - the wallflower type. I'd be so busy worrying about people looking at me, or guessing if I'm "real", or whatever that I'd probably have a hard time enjoying myself. Not that it really matters, but that's how I'm wired.

Aunt Kelly
06-28-2017, 06:30 AM
No, I am strongly against the LGBT as a concept.

What does that mean? Please explain.

robbieatbest
06-28-2017, 07:49 AM
yes and it was one of the best experiences I have had. It was a dance at a local hall, the Lavender orchestra LGBTQ ball. It was my first time out in public. The first person I met knew me but not that I was CD, she said that I would find it very friendly and I did. There were a few people there who I knew and we just said hello. There have been no negative repercussions, I just feel better in myself.
Robbie

Rianna Humble
06-28-2017, 04:31 PM
I go to several Prides each year. They are celebrating diversity and reminding people it is OK to be proud of who you are.

There are all sorts of people who attend and I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid at a cross dresser in fact I'm sure I have met some at these events.

jacques
07-02-2017, 03:25 PM
hello all,
many thanks for your replies,
luv J

kayegirl
07-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Yes, I have attended the Manchester Sparkle event for a number of years. It's a great day out, and not that far from East Yorkshire.

Leslie Mary S
07-02-2017, 05:17 PM
No. For some strong personal reasons that I will not discuss here. If it was over 200 miles away I might.

Amanda1963
07-02-2017, 05:36 PM
my wife and I went last year to the event in Charlotte. we went just to go downtown and experience the event. I was not dressed as amanda that day but I would really like to go as amanda this year just to experience from Amanda's side! it would make for a wonderful late birthday present! although wife is fully supportive of me and my crossdressing she is hesitant for me to go out as amanda!

jacques
07-02-2017, 05:49 PM
1st National Pride in UK is in East Yorkshire soon.

Maria Blackwood
07-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Went to one, but the politics (outside of gender issues) turned me way off.

jennifer0918
07-03-2017, 02:12 AM
I have never been to a pride event,but yeah I will be in full femme if I ever have the opportunity to attend a pride event.
I'm a woman hear me roar

- - - Updated - - -

1st National Pride in UK is in East Yorkshire soon.
What about Leeds?
Cheerio

Jenny123
07-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Yes, I would go and have been to pride events before. I also went fully dressed up and really enjoyed myself.

Lori Kurtz
07-03-2017, 08:40 PM
I've gone to Pride events, and gay rights rallies too, but never in any persona other than my straight male identity. Just a straight male who supports equal rights for everyone, and who happens to have some gay friends. All of that is mostly true, except that maybe there's a little dollop of bisexuality in me, and that over many years, I did a lot of dressing up as female. If I were still an active dresser, I don't know if I'd have the ... the ... [can I say "balls" here?] I don't know if I'd have the you-know-whats to do it. Times are changing, and it's getting easier for "girls" like us to be upfront about who we are, but I still don't know if I would have the nerve to out myself, even though I'm more than willing to give a little support to my gay brothers and sisters.

Taylor186
07-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Like Lori, I have attended Pride and LGBT support rallies but never dressed en femme. I'm not out, mostly, so that is just not an option.

Shelly Preston
07-04-2017, 05:44 AM
Well in the UK you have plenty of choice to attend pride events.

According to Stonewall there are 33 events in the UK this year.

Alice_2014_B
07-04-2017, 05:49 AM
I never have gone to any, but I totally would.
Though I already go out in public all dolled up solo, I would prefer some company in order to go en femme to such an event with so many people around.
:)

Amelie
07-04-2017, 05:38 PM
I do things on my own. Go out on my own. Except for going to a concert in the past I don't really like large crowds.

Nowadays I love being alone.

Jean. Ann
07-04-2017, 06:41 PM
I had planed to attend the event in Amarillo this year, but
a friend I had planed on going with could not make it. Maybe next
time .

Jean Ann

Teresa
07-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Shelly,
It was a lovely twist that our group was asked to represent the TGs at the Boston college pride week, being dressed all day and meeting people was a great experience , sadly not many took the advantage to come forward, but I will do it again if asked.

Chanel-hilton
07-05-2017, 06:06 AM
I go to loads of pride events, this year I've already been to Gran Canaria pride and Birmingham pride, and will also be going to Sheffield, Doncaster, Manchester, Leeds and Benidorm pride.

alwayshave
07-05-2017, 06:44 AM
I go to the Washington DC pride events every year, not en femme, but I go.

Suzanne1
07-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Sure, but the last one I was security so maybe that doesn't count.Caught a thrown rock right in the middle of my back.The assailant was arrested immediately.

jhasmine
07-06-2017, 08:23 AM
My first time outside dressed up was at the RI Pridefest event. I went with my wife and 2 kids. You have to just forget the labels. I mean LGBT was not the name of the event. It was just Pridefest. They had a wonderful Drag Queen show as well. The events are educational and the people are very nice. I received many compliments from both men and women and it didn't bother me. I was very comfortable being a straight male en fem. It is possible that my confidence came from my wife standing with me though. I could not imagine being there without her and would not begin to know how it would have felt.