PDA

View Full Version : Parasympathetic response?

Cathy Anderson
03-09-2006, 04:05 AM
Okay, I'm sure some of you have studied physiology.

Does anybody think there might be a connection between the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system and crossdressing?

I mean, aren't feelings of being relaxed, at ease, etc. more related to a parasympathetic response? And aren't male feelings more related to activation, sympathetic action, etc? And wouldn't some connection to these systems help explain why CDing is episodic (at least for some)?

I'm not trying to make a point--just free-associating and looking for ideas from others.

Cathy

Nikki Dee
03-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Interesting theory Cathy....but Damn you.!..I have spent the last 10 years deliberately trying NOT to analyse these things anymore (y'know, the analysis/paralysis theory!)...and now you got me thinking again.!!!!...but my defence is that I'm blonde.!!..I spend my days now wondering which way I have to turn the top of the coffee jar to get it open.!!!!LOL
Nikki. x

MarinaTwelve200
03-09-2006, 07:29 AM
That could indeed be a part of it---for many of us, but of course, keeping in mind that there are several unrelated reasons why people CD.

I know in MY case that CDing "disconnects" and dissasociates ME from my "real" male idenity/self, allowing me to be temporally "unburdened" from the stresses and responsibilities of that identity----thus resulting in a chance to unwind and totally relax in a way that is not possible in any other way.

While for many OTHER people who CD, the situation is quite the opposite, They CD to COME TO, their "real self"(fem)---They get their stress releif by "giving ln " to their true nature and not having to fake a false male front.

Of course I DO analyze stuff---I am a natutal born Scientist (and work as one too) nothing agravates me more than NOT knowing about the things I encounter in life. Even THAT I analize---I feel that knowing about things gives me a POWER over them---if not control, or at least an ability to accept what it is----but I GOTTA know WHAT it is.

Kimberley
03-09-2006, 11:42 AM
I think if it were an escape mechanism which is how I understand this then it would be no different than going out and playing golf or any other recreational activity would it not? It could be "cured"

I believe this is far deeper and subscribe to the genetics theories. As to cycles it could be a combination of physiology and psychology influenced by environment. The want to dress is always there as you know, but whether we act on it is dependant on many factors. Our feelings when dressed (relaxation etc) are definitely psychological. I think this is the reason so many of us are confused by all of this and it isnt until we have acceptance of self that we find any peace. Some of us never find that do we?

Just my opinions.

Kimberley.

TVStevie
03-09-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm studying Psychology at the moment and I recently learned that some psychologists have discovered what they believe to be a link between anorexia patients and an increased level of serotonin - the belief is that by depriving the body of food, the serotonin level decreases, which causes the feeling of calmness and control that an anorectic gets from not eating. This would also explain the emotional instability that follows an eating session.

Whilst I know that crossdressing is not food related, it sounds very similar to the symptoms that a CD may get when unable to dress and the relief that follows subsequent dressing. When I get my PhD, I'll have to run a full study on the brain chemistry of CD's! :D

MarinaTwelve200
03-09-2006, 08:09 PM
I think if it were an escape mechanism which is how I understand this then it would be no different than going out and playing golf or any other recreational activity would it not? It could be "cured"

"Escaping' by changing one's self into an entirely different person (if only symbolically) is a HECK of a lot different than a recreational activity, golf, etc. that you play as YOURSELF.

Im talking the ultimate escape---from one's very self.

It MAY be possible to "cure" this form of CD---IF one could find an escape mechanisin just as effective, but untill THAT happens I MUST CD for the effect, if I wish to continue the good feeling.

Kimberley
03-09-2006, 10:01 PM
"Escaping' by changing one's self into an entirely different person (if only symbolically) is a HECK of a lot different than a recreational activity, golf, etc. that you play as YOURSELF.

Im talking the ultimate escape---from one's very self.

It MAY be possible to "cure" this form of CD---IF one could find an escape mechanisin just as effective, but untill THAT happens I MUST CD for the effect, if I wish to continue the good feeling.
Point well taken but I was trying to draw the parallel between "recreational" CD's (if there is such a thing which I do not believe there is) and those of us who are more deeply involved to a state of gender issues.

I agree with my pdoc that we are polymorphic and to try and define any of us in a box is impossible because all of us exhibit some traits across the continuum. Some of us identify more strongly on the TS side while others are on the TV side. I think that those of us in the TG/TS realm are more likely to identify 24/7 with our "alter" than say the TV or CD who uses dressing as an escape (not that there is anything wrong with that or any of the "definitions".)

Life is cyclical in general so I am not sure that CD'ing isn't episodic with those cycles we all endure.

Kimberley

Cathy Anderson
03-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Nikki wrote:

> I have spent the last 10 years deliberately trying NOT to analyse these things anymore
> (y'know, the analysis/paralysis theory!)...and now you got me thinking again.!!!!...

Well, I'm not suggesting analysis here. This is more like observation. I'm interested in noticing and describing the precise feelings. I see that as increasing the "consciousness" of the experience--enhancing, not lessening it. That is, I'm not asking "why we feel this way" but more "what are actually feeling?" Rather than diminish the experience, it might give us more appreciation of it.

Marina wrote:

> keeping in mind that there are several unrelated reasons why people CD.

Definitely

> I know in MY case that CDing "disconnects" and dissasociates ME from my "real" male idenity/self,
> allowing me to be temporally "unburdened" from the stresses and responsibilities of that identity

I understand. Maybe this is the function of an "alter ego." In this respect maybe there's a similarity between some CDs and the dentist who on weekends puts on leather and rides a Harley.

The reference to "stresses and responsibilities" doesn't seem too far from a kind of chronic sympathetic nervous system response (in fact, I think there is something called the 'stress response'). In which case periods of parasympathetic rebound would make sense.

Kimberley wrote:

> the want to dress is always there as you know

I don't know--maybe latently. But at another level, we are all familiar with the phenomenon of purging, in various degrees, if only at the level of saying, "to heck with this CD stuff, I need to just be a guy for a while."

TVStevie wrote:

> they believe to be a link between anorexia patients and an increased level of serotonin
That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I wonder if there's any connection between that and fasting for religious or spiritual purposes. I have also wondered if there's some connection between CDing and another hormone, prolactin, which seems associated with calm feelings.

> When I get my PhD, I'll have to run a full study on the brain chemistry of CD's

That would be cool! And wouldn't it be interesting to do PET brain scans of CDs, first in drab mode, then en femme?

Cathy