PDA

View Full Version : Movie Night

Aunt Kelly
08-01-2017, 09:55 PM
So, a friend has suggest that a few of us get together for a movie night. Movies, girl talk, and popcorn. And wine!
We started throwing around ideas for titles (we need two), but nothing was an obvious winner. I kind of want to avoid the obvious TG-related stuff, but it's not off the table. Besides, "The Bird Cage" makes my face hurt from laughing whenever I see it. Anyway...

I'm thinking romantic comedy for the genre. "Blast From the Past", "As Good As it Gets" Aaaggh! I just don't know, so let's here your ideas.

Sometimes Steffi
08-01-2017, 10:04 PM
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
!0 Things I Hate about You
Date Night
The Devil Wears Prada
Overboard

Rachael Leigh
08-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Pretty Women
An Officer and a Gentelman
When Harry Met Sally

Katie Ann
08-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Sahara. 💖

docrobbysherry
08-02-2017, 12:02 AM
I'm serious about both my movies and my dressing. I prefer watching movies with no interruptions. When I dress I prefer to socialize with the girls without interruptions, also.:drink:

Rachelakld
08-02-2017, 01:08 AM
Paris can wait

Jeri Ann
08-02-2017, 05:05 AM
Hey Aunt Kelly,

When Harry Met Sally is one of my favorite rom-coms. "I'll have what she's having".

Although it is not a rom-com, my favorite movie of all time is Casablanca.
Ingrid Bergman is certainly the most beautiful woman that ever lived. I wished I looked like her.
But, it is the story that gets me every time. The way Rick loves Ilsa is so powerful.
Every time I watch Casablanca it messes me up for a while.

Pat
08-02-2017, 08:49 AM
OK, "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca" are *always* in order.

One of my favorite guilty pleasure movies is "Josie and the Pussycats" though I end up with the music stuck in my head for a week afterward. I also have a soft spot for "Just One of the Guys" which does have a gender-bending theme to it, but it's not overtly about transgender folks. "Real Genius" is fun in an arrogant-early-Val-Kilmer way. Best movie on a Viet Nam-era military theme: "Flight of the Intruder" (yes, it has a romance b-story.)

Linda E. Woodworth
08-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Casablanca is "always" appropriate. Of course I've suggested it so many times my wife has started to push back for anything else.

How about "Kate & Leopold" or "Ever After" I'm a sucker for Drew Barrymore's movies, especially those with Adam Sandler.

I'm sorry Pat although I'm a big Bogart fan, I've never cared for the Maltese Falcon. There's better celluloid out there to watch.

Krisi
08-02-2017, 09:13 AM
I guess the term "Movie Night" means different things to different people. I thought this was about going out to a theater and watching a movie but apparently, it is not.

ginapoodle
08-02-2017, 09:19 AM
The Way We Were-- Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford... swoon romantic

Helen_Highwater
08-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Well let me go with the obvious; The Danish Girl and I can wholeheartedly recommend Hidden Figures. Not exactly a rom com but such an uplifting film. Plus there's a link that they're both true stories. Double plus, girls don't have to be ditzy, they can connect with real drama as well as the next guy.

IamWren
08-02-2017, 10:06 AM
What Krissi said... exactly what I thought.
I was like, "Oh great. :sad: the Houston gals are going to a movie theater and again, I won't be able to make it."

So movie night is... :straightface: (pause)

at someone's place... :raisedeyebrow:(pause)

where the Houston gals will meet :thinking:(pause)

watch a movie, munch on popcorn, laugh and be merry... (pause)

and I STILL don't get to go. :cry:

Phoebe Reece
08-02-2017, 10:55 AM
A few years back, when the movie "Sex In The City" came out, it was common in my area for many women to dress to the nines and go see that movie as a girls night out.

crystaltvco
08-02-2017, 11:42 AM
+1 Overboard :)
Murphys Romance is a great film! Who doesn't want to be Sally Fields. Ok most of you lol!

Stephanie47
08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
A League of Their Own (1992 baseball movie)

Sarah Doepner
08-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Get a movie everyone already knows. Because it's a social event, there will be conversations and comments that continually interrupt the movie. If it's one that some people actually want to watch they will be put off by the side conversations. Get something fun like Young Frankenstein or Blues Brothers or Ferris Bueler. It doesn't need to be TG related since it's likely no one will watch all of it anyway. Think more about the wine, snacks and what outfits you plan to wear.

Tahoegurl
08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
So...obvious choices..kinky boots, to Wong foo, love Julie numar. The woman in gold.

Territx
08-02-2017, 01:16 PM
I know that some (or most) will criticize this, but I like the "For the Love of the Game" -- sports and romance!

Dana44
08-02-2017, 01:44 PM
(Boys don't cry has a powerful message. (The story of Brandon Teena.)

josie_S
08-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Ditto on Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon! AMC was showing The Seven Year Itch yesterday, but then they showed Niagara (also with Marilyn) but it's no comedy!

https://youtu.be/HjTNi6CazRQ

Stephanie Nicole
08-02-2017, 06:00 PM
If you decide to go with TG movies I recommend Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar, or Pricilla Queen of the Desert they are both very funny movies,

Rom-Coms I say Pretty Woman or Overboard (or anything with Goldie Hawn)

and Dramas I think Up Close and Personal with Robert Redford or Officer and a Gentleman with Richard Gere ( you could also combine that with Pretty Woman and make it a Gere Marathon)

Bobbi46
08-02-2017, 06:11 PM
How about Rango the cartoon version of DJango but hilarious, the Sherriff is a Chameleon and the bad guy is called Rattle Snake Jake his tail being a multi barrelled rotating pistol. if you want a laugh watch it, it is a must.

kathy chelan
08-02-2017, 07:08 PM
here's one that is a little bit off beat and very funny in parts: WHAT WE DID ON OUR VACATION. with Rosamond Pike.

Aunt Kelly
08-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Looks like Casablanca is a shoe-in. Need one more title.
As I said in the OP, the TG angle seemed a little to obvious, but if we're going to allow that sub-genre for consideration, The Rocky Horror Picture Show has to be on the list.

I like Marilyn Monroe angle. Some Like It Hot, maybe?

BTW, good point, Sarah. It's unlikely that this will be a serious study of "cinema as art", so something that one can take or leave without having to come back and ask "OK, what did I miss" would be good.

And Sayyidah, I bet you could get out of the house to go watch movies with friends. We could start a poker game, if that makes a better story.

Jeri Ann
08-02-2017, 08:38 PM
If the "usual suspects" show up for this GNO, I guarantee that there will not be any serious cinema criticism going on. Lol

kimdl93
08-02-2017, 08:49 PM
African Queen with Boggie and Kate. My age is definitely showing! Even my heroes and heroines are old timers. Or for you young ones.... Guess Who's coming to Dinner with Tracy and Hepburn....or maybe True Grit with John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn....or On Golden Pond with Henry Fonda and the aforementioned Ms Hepburn. (Has any one else thought to ask why all of Katherine Hepburn's leading men died not long after performing with her????

I sense there is a story to this!

alwayshave
08-02-2017, 09:03 PM
To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
Some like it hot

sara66
08-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Devil wears prada, princesses bride, legally blond, when harry met sally, Monte python's holy grail.
Endless list
Sara

TheHiddenMe
08-02-2017, 09:08 PM
I went to see Wonder Woman dressed. It was a 10:40 showing so there were only three other people there.

Aunt Kelly
08-05-2017, 11:16 AM
When Harry Met Sally is leading in the polls.
Brook, you should get a double vote, at least, since this whole thing is your idea. :)

Maria Blackwood
08-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Voltron season 3 just hit Netflix

Faye56
08-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Sorry for the slightly catty sarcasm, but I would find this thread more interesting if you were venturing out to watch a movie with friends, Anyway I hope you all enjoyed your night in.

Pat
08-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Sorry for the slightly catty sarcasm, but I would find this thread more interesting if you were venturing out to watch a movie with friends

Wow. That was slight? Comes across pretty cold-blooded to me. Seems like trans friends gathering in a home for a night of friendship is more deserving of respect, not less.

So, Aunt Kelly -- did it happen? What movies made the cut?

Aunt Kelly
08-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Faye,
We get out on a regular basis, doing things that are a lot more fun than sitting in a dark theater. I imagine that we'll get around to that one eventually though. This event is as Pat says, a bunch of TG friends gathering at someone's home to eat popcorn, drink wine and talk about the girls who didn't join us. :)

Pat,
Not yet. Still in the planning stages. Casablanca and When Harry Met Sally seem to be the favorites, but want to let Brook decide since this was her idea to begin with.

ginapoodle
08-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Let us know when plans get jelled...

Jeri Ann
08-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Faye,

As Kelly said, this group "ventures" out on a regular basis. Monthly for sure but sometimes we get together more often in twos and threes as well as a larger group. Manis and pedis, shopping, lunch, dinner, drinks are becoming routine. Through all of this the group has grown close. To change things up a bit we are just gonna chill one night and enjoy each other's company. We may be at Brook's place or we might gather at my place if I get relocated by then. Before we have our movie night we will have another GNO in just a couple of weeks on the 25th. It will be back at our base camp, Rivas Italian Restaurant.

Faye, I don't know where you are located, it's probably a secret, but why don't you come to Houston and join us?

Oh, I almost forgot, I have a copy of Casablanca. I will bring it. Also, I'm thinking about wearing my pajamas that have feet in them.

Brookf89
08-08-2017, 12:09 AM
The group can take a vote with whatever movie y'all would like to see. With the jokesters y'all are, I doubt we're gonna pay too much attention to what's playing anyway lol. It's just fun getting to hang out with y'all and chat about everything, but we could also watch 16 Candles in honor of me turning 16 at the end of this month 😉. (Clearly I'm kidding about turning 16). Let me know what food y'all would like, we can bake cupcakes and cookies too... *cough*Jeri*cough*

Connie D50
08-08-2017, 06:35 AM
here is some I love romantic movies

Sleepless in Seattle
You've got Mail
Fifty first dates
Maid in Manhattan

Jeri Ann
08-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Okay Brook, I get the message. You know that I have already been thinking about the menu, chili, gumbo, ribs, wings have all crossed my mind. Cupcakes and cookies are just decorations for the table. Oh, I forgot, you don't have a table. You have a makeup studio instead. We definitely need to have this at my place after I get relocated.

rachael.davis
08-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Julie & Julia - very cool, very feminine empowering
Brooklyn - a bit obscure, but a magnificent romance, not a comedy

Brookf89
08-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Jeri, please move close to me. Preferably somewhere within 10 minutes distance so I can come over for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And snack times in between. Gumbo and chili and my fave!

Jeri Ann
08-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Brook I actually have two places on my short list that are only five or ten minutes away from you. It could work out great. I love to cook and you need to eat. Lol

Dana44
08-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Chili, Gumbo and ribs. Oh my I used to cook at BBQ and make good ribs and chili and gumbo. Plus brisket and chicken. Have many trophies on them. Jeri Ann, we should get together and cook one day.

Rachael Leigh
08-08-2017, 08:44 PM
I so wish I lived closer to you ladies you all have such fun

ginapoodle
08-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Gina will do about anything for good gumbo...

Jeri Ann
08-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Wow, I see the Houston GNO morphing into dinner parties and barbeques. What fun.