PDA

View Full Version : Sizes? I'm confused.

Keyplayer74
03-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Hello folks..

I'm a bit confused here when looking at clothes to order. When they say "Waist size" What do they mean? Around the bellybutton? For me, my I've always considered my waist to be where I put my belt.. which is about 2-3 inches below my bellybutton. Hips... where are these exactly? If I had to guess, I'd say it's to measure around the biggest part of my butt, right? I'm confused. I always wear size 34 pants, and assumed that was the waist measurement, but I'm not sure.

Casey Morgan
03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
It sounds like you're figuring your waist correctly. Your waist is where you naturally bend. Your hip measurement is the largest measurement below your waist. I was reading something yesterday that said for women, that spot can be up to 12" below your waist. I'm not sure where it is for guys. But as I say, the largest measurement below your waist.

O yeah, I forgot to say: the JC Penny catelogue is your friend. It shows you how and where to measure women and men (giving you a comparison), and it has a decent size chart.

(See Karen? When I'm not hypoglycemic I actually CAN find the Edit button. :cheeky: )

Sierra Evon
03-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I'd go with a size 16/18 or an 18/20, probably an 18w might be best
I never order my stuff I gotta try in on always, but if I ever did I'd
the I'd make sure to only order the next size-up, 18/20w, that the
ticket........dont Quote me tho....good luck..........Si

Fallen Angel
03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I would guess to say your about a 12 to 14 in a skirt xxx

NatalieBliss
03-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I have only (so far) purchased clothing from the Wal-Mart (thank heavens for self-checkout). But often browse at numorous sites and they seem similar. Anyway all the sites I have seen have a "sizing guide", "sizing chart" ect... link to click on. Most have a drawing and/or written guidlines as to where the measurement is taken from. So I have purchased a tailors measuring tape (less than a dollar at said Wal-Mart.) and so I know my bust, waist, hips and inseam measurement. Thus I can look at the chart find the size, go to the store find the item in the size and have had no problems thus far! Anyway that's how I shop, hope it helps!

Jolene
03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Hello folks..

I'm a bit confused here when looking at clothes to order. When they say "Waist size" What do they mean? Around the bellybutton? For me, my I've always considered my waist to be where I put my belt.. which is about 2-3 inches below my bellybutton. Hips... where are these exactly? If I had to guess, I'd say it's to measure around the biggest part of my butt, right? I'm confused. I always wear size 34 pants, and assumed that was the waist measurement, but I'm not sure.
I guess some trial and error. I wear a 36 waist size but missies size 14 jeans fit me well. Size 6 undies work well but would have no idea on shoes. Bra extenders work well if we are off just a bit on size there. I am sure some here can help us with sizes.......... Jolene

Charlene Marie
03-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi Keyplayer, Say thanks again for fixing my pics. I'll try and help. If you currently have a 34" waist, you can wear a size 12 skirt. The waist on a GG is higher than ours so measure a little above your belly button.
For hip measurements, put the cloth measuring tape around the widest part of your hips. Pardon this explaination but; the cloth tape should ride just above your bottom crack in the back. If a size 12 skirt fits your waist well, you wont have anough hip to fill out the skirt without some padded girdle or pantie anyway so dont sweat the hip measurement. PM me and Ill help more.