PDA

View Full Version : My attitude to various cothing departments, and my increaingly feminine identity

Ceera
08-11-2017, 12:11 AM
As I get more and more comfortable with living as my feminine side, I have noticed that I am getting less and less comfortable with walking through the 'male' sections of clothing stores like Macy's or JC Penney's.

Just the other day, my daughter and I went to dinner at a mall restaurant, with me in male mode. My daughter is wonderfully supportive of my feminine side and she is happy to go out with me in either presentation. But last night was my 60th birthday, and I had wanted to go to dinner in the mode that matched my legal ID, in case the restaurant wanted to check my age for birthday perks.

We had a fine meal, and afterward I decided we should walk a lap through the mall before it closed. Not so much to shop - though we did buy a few things - but more to get some exercise and to walk off the meal and drinks before driving home. Our first leg took us on a loop through the JC Penney's store, going through Juniors, then shoes, then menswear, then plus size women's wear, then past Sephora cosmetics, and finally out past the clearance sale Misses section. We kind of went around the jewelry and purses sections, keeping to the outer walkway. As we went through menswear, I laughed and commented to my daughter that my mental conversation with myself was, "Really? Why are we bothering with this department There's nothing we want here!". And I also noticed I was experiencing much the same sense of unease that most cis-gender males would feel walking through the women's intimate apparel section. A feeling of, "I don't belong here."

I'm not living full time as a female, yet. But 90% or more of my social time and more than half of the rest of the time I am en-femme, and 90% or more of my clothing and shoes now are either female apparel, or are arguably unisex items from the women's department, or are things sold to either gender, like gender-neutral t-shirts. Even in 'male presentation', if there is a female item I can wear that will not scream 'women's clothes', I am likely to wear that item instead of an actual male item of apparel. The last time I bought any male clothes or shoes was to pick up a couple male dress shirts for a job interview.

The girl in me just keeps getting stronger... My GG friends who know me as Ceera almost universally agree that they see me as female now. Even when I comment that, for example, I don't like pulling my hair back in a pony tail because I feel it makes my face look 'too male', they disagree and comment that all they see when they look at me is a female.

bridget thronton
08-11-2017, 01:05 AM
Happy birthday

alwayshave
08-11-2017, 05:16 AM
Ceera, congratulations on your 60th. It is so great you have an accepting daughter. I order my male stuff, other than suits online, I shop for Jamie.

karenph
08-11-2017, 07:06 AM
Sounds like a good birthday celebration with your daughter. Great that she supports you!

CarlaWestin
08-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Yep, Happy Birthday, young lady. I balked at paying 25 bucks for Carhartt work shorts and gladly ordered a nice cosplay outfit. Complete with matching thigh socks and panties!

Angie G
08-11-2017, 07:48 AM
I just had to buy a few new men's t-shirts with print. First male things I jot in a long time I love buying for Angie way more. And happy Birthday Ceera.:hugs:
Angie

Rachael Leigh
08-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Happy birthday Ceera, your stories and outings you have shared are always a pleasure to read thanks for sharing
And 60 is the new 40 so enjoy
Rachael Leigh

Laura912
08-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Happy birthday! Will going the remaining 10% be easier or harder that the first ninety?

Jean 103
08-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Happy Birthday, sounds like you had a nice time. I know the feeling, I don't shop the men's section.

Nikki A.
08-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Happy Birthday. I know the feeling. Funny thing is that I know my female sizes and can usually eye what will fit (although I will try things on before buying) and I'm at a total loss in men's sizing.

Ceera
08-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Thank you everyone.

Laura, for me right now my largest barrier to going full time is financial. Makeup is expensive and my income is very limited - so I can't afford to get dolled up every day. I don't currently have insurance that would pay for HRT or other Trans needs, so my transformation to female so far is entirely cosmetic. I can tuck pretty well, and have remained en-femme for a full day at a time, for several days in a row. But especially when weather is hot, I still need to undo everything occasionally to cool down. If I could afford hormones and possibly the surgeries to complete a full transformation to female, it would be much easier to live full time. I'm trying right now to get insurance that would at least allow me to get HRT.

Socially, the few things I do primarily or solely as a male have to do with past associations. I'm in a historical reenactment group called the Society for Creative Anachronism, and actually set up a separate membership for my female side there, so Ceera's SCA persona as "Katherine Fox" can be treated separately from my male side's SCA persona. I'm slowly making 'her' more well known in the group, and allowing old friends to effectively meet 'her' as someone new to them. But I already had a competitive standing in archery and in darts as a male with the SCA before I started attending SCA events as a female, so for now at least, I'll continue doing those things as a male, rather than having to explain to the whole group that my male side is going away and becoming my female side. Also, my work history is entirely as a male, so while job hunting I would just as soon not add gender issues into the mix for an already difficult job search.

From a legal aspect, I'm seriously considering getting my gender marker changed to female some time early next year. Once that is done, I'd be more likely to seek work as a female.

Laura912
08-11-2017, 07:56 PM
It seems that you have the objective in your sights and a plan for going towards it. Hope you win some or all of the lottery!

Tracy Irving
08-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Wow, Happy Birthday, Ceera. 60 years young!

You think makeup is expensive for guys? Just think about what the women in our lives fork over! And they paint their face every day!

A few days ago I put on my new $1 Dr. Who shirt from Kohl's. Still no problem shopping in the men's department, but I enjoy the women's section.

What does Katherine Fox get to wear for those historical reenactments?

Jessica Thompson
08-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Happy birthday, sounds as though you had a great one!

Ceera
08-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Tracy, here is a pic of me as "Katherine Fox" at an SCA event. I only have a few female period outfits so far - mostly generic 'tavern wench' outfits like this one.

In the SCA, Katherine is an English woman who was romanced by a rogue of an Irishman, who promised her the world, turned out to be a smuggler, and after he got killed he left her a widow owing a tavern in England that was one of his few legitimate investments. Fortunately, the English nobleman who owns the land her tavern is on takes kindly to her, so she is free to run the tavern for the rest of her life.