PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name.

Jean 103
08-15-2017, 09:10 AM
I have been thinking about this a lot lately as I moved a few months ago and I'm now settled into my new room. I was renting a house and now I'm just renting a room. It's still to painful to talk about what I gave up. I do believe it was the best thing for me to do. A lot of people got mad at me for it. Most everyone is ok now.

At work they call me by my given first or last. I perfer my last as it is a girls name. That and my first name is common and the same as the owners and his son. All my friends call me Jean. This is the name I picked for this site and started using . Back when I first started using the name I asked one of my new friends that I was thinking of just using my last name like at work. She said " honey you can call your self whatever you like, I'm still going to call you Jean. " I can still hear her saying that and it's been a couple years now . I use to feel funny when people called me Jean , now I feel funny when people call me by my given name.

Now this is why it is bothering me right now. I have a friend that I have know for like fifteen years. He knows me and call me by my given name. It's not just him but his family too. They are all great people. I've have been to their house dressed. He is throwing a party for his brother in law this weekend and I have been invited. I have met him and he is a very nice man. All this I can handle. Next month I will be going to Hawaii with them and their extended family for a week. I have the same problem with the lady I rent a room from. I messed up and initially introduced myself with my guy name. I talked with her and she now calls me Jean. I have been down this road before and know there is no way I could go to Hawaii as my guy self and no one expects me to. It's just I have too get all these people to call me Jean now. I guess I'll start this weekend at the party.

Stacy Darling
08-15-2017, 09:30 AM
I so do hope that your name can be used Daily Jean! Being respected and carrying our chosen name is so important!

Stacy is not my given name,
But I am just Plain old Stacy!
Stacy!

Teresa
08-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Jean,
When I joined this forum I didn't have a femme name, so I used the female version of my male name, shortened it only means changing a Y for an I, I do like the full version of Teresa, the problem with that was it was also the name of an ex GF who also happened to be a best schoolfriend of my wife's . Obviously she doesn't know, what will I do when I set up my own home ? I may stick with Teresa and use Terri, I'm easy about about it so if someone calls me Terry which is the state of play at the moment it will still work out OK.

At least when my mail comes using the T initial will be acceptable, I'd prefer to drop the Mr. handle but that's for the future !

Jaylyn
08-15-2017, 02:53 PM
I can see that if one transitions that the name would be an important aspect of what I do. I still have two identities though and known as a shortened version of the name I have. Not being it t anyone but my wife and not ever planning a full transition I'm satisfied with my name either in male or female play mode.
I think the party would be a good place to get the name Jean started and see how many are comfortable and will go with that name. Good luck and have fun.

Jean 103
08-16-2017, 01:31 AM
I have been thinking about this all day. This group of friends don't know my other friends. There is 30 miles between them, well not all but most. My friends wife already calls me by my last name, Lindsey. It comes from a business where I used my last name for the name of the business. So it will be Lindsey with this group and Jean with everyone else. The house I had rented, I had started getting mail as Jean Lindsey. I really haven't had much trouble living as Jean.

alwayshave
08-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Teresa, I wish you the best of luck on your move and new home. I hate to see any long term marriage separate. As someone who has been divorced for more than a decade I can tell you that my ex-wife still spies on me and she lives 500 miles away.

CynthiaD
08-16-2017, 10:12 AM
I've used many different female names over they years, but I've been Cynthia or Cindy for many years now. I detest my male name and always have. Even if I were to suddenly start identifying as 100% male, I'd want to have a different name.