PDA

View Full Version : Ear to the ground

Meghan4now
08-15-2017, 02:04 PM
It's probably nothing at all, but.....

I work in an office with probably 300-400 people in my building and about 2000 on the general grounds. Given the odds of 5-10% CDs, there could be as many as 100 CDs here (not counting CIS women)

Any way, at about 2:00 I was in the men's powder room (you have to be specific here), and in the sink, I saw massive remnants of beard stubble. Now I have shaved at work occasionally as prep before the dashboard vanity for an evening out. So immediately my mind want there. I wonder..........

NAH, probably not, but then again....

Jaylyn
08-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Watch out Meghan our minds can really play a trick on us.... but then again..... Lol

Tracii G
08-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Well wasn't he little Mr Messy leaving all that nasty stubble. Ewwww so my guess not a CDer just a regular man.
A CD would have cleaned up the mess LOLOL

Meghan4now
08-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Tracii, that thought crossed my mind too, not cause all us CDS are so fastidious, but because we're paranoid as all get out!

Joni T
08-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Must be tough getting ready with your ear on the ground.
Jon

ellbee
08-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Given the odds of 5-10% CDs...

1 in 10 adult men crossdress??

Surely you jest...

Ariana225
08-15-2017, 02:39 PM
1/10 men crossdress, I've heard that so many times but still can't fathom iT.

Meghan4now
08-15-2017, 02:42 PM
I have seen data to that effect, however I tend to think the 5% figure is more likely. There has been lots of data published and really hashed about the prevalence of both crossdressing and transgender.

The liturature that I've read is actually fairly credible because it used various studies and cross checked it against other verifiable data sources, including reports of number of GCS cases per year per country.

But thats a whole really long and tired topic, and I am feeling to lazy to cite sources today. But check out Denny Dallas if you want some interesting reads.

Micki_Finn
08-15-2017, 02:43 PM
I think 5-10% is an EXTREMELY high estimate. If I had to venture a guess I'd say it's closer to 1/10th of that. And making the leap from beard stubble to CDer is just confirmation bias.

Meghan4now
08-15-2017, 02:50 PM
No, even TG has been reported as .6 % recently, so an estimate of 10x for CDs is not out of the question. .6 was widely reported (including the NYT)

And Laura, don't call me Shirley!

ellbee
08-15-2017, 03:10 PM
I did a quick interweb search, and found this...

(Hi, Reine! :wave: )

Part time intense CDers: 1:50 (2%) to 1:20 (5%)
CDers with strong TG feelings: 1:200 (.5%) to 1:50 (2%)
CDers with intense TS feelings: 1:500 (.2%) to 1:150 (.667%)
TG transitioners (w/o SRS): 1:1,000 (.1%) to 1:200 (.5%)
TS transitioners (w SRS): 1:2,500 (.04%) to 1:500 (.2%)

https://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?138954-Percentage-of-Male-Population-as-CDs&p=2258248&viewfull=1#post2258248

Based on what I've observed over the decades, anyway, I'd say that looks more about right -- with the high estimate still being too high, IMO.

Bottom line: I'd put CD'ers at like 2-3%, max. And even then.

Anyway, sorry for derailing your thread. :sad:

Kayliedaskope
08-15-2017, 03:36 PM
And Laura, don't call me Shirley!

Darn, someone beat me to it. :p

CONSUELO
08-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Amazing how we all make firm statistical forecasts based upon our casual observations. How would we know if the percentage of cross dressers in the population is 2%,5% or something else. I have never conducted a survey and I would not have the first clue as to how to go about it. So, all I can do is guess and speculate.

As for beard in the sink; my first reaction is that an extremely messy and selfish person has been using it.

Lana Mae
08-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Any and I mean any estimate is going to be way off because their are so many in the closet!(crossdressers!) How you count and get any reliable figures is beyond me!? IMHO Hugs Lana Mae

Tracii G
08-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Ding ding Lana Mae is the winner !!!
I doubt any estimates are anywhere close to the actual numbers.

Micki_Finn
08-15-2017, 04:12 PM
According to a survey by Gallup published January of this year estimates the LGBT population at 4.1%. The caveat here is that some people will obviously respond with false negatives, nor does it specifically address crossdressers, but do you really think there are 2 CDers for every gay, lesbian, and Trans person out there?
http://www.gallup.com/poll/201731/lgbt-identification-rises.aspx

Tracii G
08-15-2017, 04:23 PM
False negatives is a medical term I don't think it quite fits this subject.

Meghan4now
08-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Time out!

Dang, I should have known better than to put numbers out there. First off, there IS a big variance in the estimate, but there is also some real credible study and cross verification. But thats not really the point of this thread. (I would put less credence in Gallup than the Williams report). Beside that, any data is skewed by local population. My % at work may be higher since I work for one of the top ten most LBGT friendly corps in the country. It's just an estimate, and not all that scientific.

The point of the thread is more the funny thought that went through my head. Kind of like when I was in college, and my girlfriend drove a green dodge Dart. And then I always noticed dodge Darts, especially green ones.

This is a silly post. Don't get too caught up in the numbers.

Oh and it IS possible that a CD was shaving at work. I'm living proof!

Hell on Heels
08-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Hell-o Meghan,
For the sake of this particular thread, the percentages
don't really matter. Just because Meghan works with
2000 people, and 3 - 4 hundred people may be using
this particular restroom on any regular basis, that doesn't
nessisarily mean there is a given number of Cd/TG people
working with her.
It's kinda like a coin toss. Heads may come up 5 times in
a row but, what are the odds of the next flip comin' up heads?

Although, I must say Meghan, sometimes those weird suspicions
we get are spot on!
The only way to know for sure is to stake out that restroom!
Also...inspect the other restrooms throughout the building for
signs of CDing, our suspect may be on the move!

Happy hunting!
Much Love,
Kristyn

Ariana225
08-15-2017, 05:48 PM
There is 3,750,000,000 men on earth. If there was 1% crossdressers you're looking at 37.5 million crossdressers in the world. Just an interesting possibility.

ellbee
08-15-2017, 06:20 PM
No, even TG has been reported as .6 % recently, so an estimate of 10x for CDs is not out of the question. .6 was widely reported (including the NYT)

It was "widely reported," because it was based on the same recent study.

A study, BTW, which even the group that ran it admits that their methodology could potentially be flawed (and in a serious way, IMO).

Anyway, "weird" how that 0.6% effectively doubled in just a few years, eh?

Why is this? Why such an explosion? Are the numbers bogus? Could there be other outside influencing factors involved? And what exactly is the definition of "TG"? Are CD'ers included? Or even someone with mere "feelings" of the opposite sex?

Young adults (and in this case, 13+ years old) make up a significant portion of the adult population these days. Confused, experimenting, rebelling, wanting to be cool/popular/get attention/stand out? Is it just a temporary phase/trend which will fade as this group comes of age -- or is it something more real & permanent?

There are so many potential issues with studies, both intentional & unintentional, it ain't even funny.

I prefer my own eyes, ears, brain & methodology, thanks... No better or worse than these "official" ones.

And just one sample: This forum.

Can't get anymore mainstream CD'ish than "crossdressers.com," eh?

Been around for 13.5 years. Pretty much a worldwide reach, for anyone with internet connection & basic English.

Membership over this time: Roughly 25K (which includes TS's & GG's).

Yeah, 10%, my ass. :D

In any event, "regular" guys do all kinds of stuff in public restrooms -- including shaving their face, for all kinds of reasons.

Try not to always be a hammer & think that everything is a nail... Which is just another element to the whole pink-fog thang. ;)

Devi SM
08-15-2017, 06:35 PM
I think that's impossible to make an accurate estimation of these numbers.
So many gays, bisexuals, bicurios in the closet, so many croosdressers, just here in this web, that not even once had been out.
I see every day not the same but new guys in shower room at the gym to look at me while shaving my legs or putting on the gaff for tucking, a lot of them smile or propose me with lascivious gestures...
It's similar to measure numbers of rapes women, nobody knows how many, for fear, shame, never denounce the raper...

Judy-Somthing
08-15-2017, 08:32 PM
I've always wondered if a coworker Cross-dressed.
Sometimes after working with new people a few weeks I'll say "Friday is wear a dress to work day"

I've found some would say something like "Ya a sexy red laced dress" and some don't say anything.
The worst reply I got was a guy who said " if you show up in a dress I'll beat you with a hummer".
I never liked that guy after that!

Tracii G
08-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Vanessa I love that bi curio comment LOL
I need to get a bi curio cabinet for my china tea cup collection and other knick knacky things

sometimes_miss
08-15-2017, 10:12 PM
I did a quick interweb search, and found this...
Look around enough, and you can find whatever stats you wish. Or just make them up as you go along. Someone here once wrote that the incidence of crossdressing was 50%. So there you go. I'm sure someone searching found THAT and quoted it somewhere, saying that because it was on a crossdressing forum, it was reliable information.

Why is this? Why such an explosion? Are the numbers bogus?
Oh, that's simple too. The person writing the article saw twice as many crossdressers (two) as they did the previous time (1). That makes it an 'explosion' of crossdressers, because his/her observation doubled in the number of crossdressers that were counted in their sample.

ellbee
08-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Reine was simply sharing what she found: Work done by Lynn Conway...

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/TSprevalence.html

LaurenS
08-16-2017, 07:27 AM
False negatives is a medical term I don't think it quite fits this subject.

I thought it was a logical term. Guess we need to change it to "untrue no" :)

alwayshave
08-16-2017, 07:34 AM
My clients are in Asia, so when doing a video conference in the early evening I will shave in the men's room prior to the conference, so not uncommon or indicative of CDing.

NicoleScott
08-16-2017, 08:13 AM
False negative is a test result term. The test may or may not be medical.

Krisi
08-16-2017, 08:14 AM
1 in 10 adult men crossdress??

Surely you jest...

Yea, that's a bit far fetched.

I have noticed that on this (crossdressing) forum, some folks tend to bend the facts so as to make crossdressing more normal and accepted in their eyes.

Before one tries to figure out the percentage of the population of crossdressers, one must define "crossdresser". Is a guy who wears a dress only on Halloween a crossdresser? One who wears a nightie to bed? Panties for foreplay with his wife? Is a transsexual a crossdresser?

So define "crossdresser". Now we have to figure out a way that men will admit to a survey taker that they are crossdressers. Most of us keep our "hobby" a secret.

If I were to make an educated guess, I would put the number of serious crossdressers at less than 1%. By "serious" I mean someone who owns his own women's clothes, shoes wig breast forms and hip padding.

BTW: Since the Internet, anyone can be an expert. Anyone can publish a survey. Do you believe everything you see on the Internet?

BTW #2: Men shave. Some men shave more than once a day to look neat and clean. A man might shave in the afternoon because he is going someplace after work and wants to look neat and clean. Shaving isn't just for crossdressers.