PDA

View Full Version : Guitar players

Rachael_TX
09-02-2017, 08:57 AM
So when playing guitar sitting in a chair with guitar on my knee, i'always had to arch my right foot up on my toes to put the guitar in a comfortabl playing position. Long torso i suppose or small guitars. This morning however i had on some block heel sandals (about 3 inches) and picked up my guitar and boom it was in the right position and no leg cramp. Guess i'll have to wear heels whenever i'm sitting and playing.

Krisi
09-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Or shorten the strap!

I find the boobs to be more of a problem but since I played professionally for fifty years, I don't find myself sitting around the house playing much.

Angie G
09-02-2017, 09:06 AM
See girls heels are good.:hugs:
Angie

Anne K
09-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Many classical guitar players use a hoot riser.

5150 Girl
09-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Like an above poster said, short strap for sitting, long for standing....

Nikkilovesdresses
09-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Many classical guitar players use a hoot riser.

Scarlatti used an early form of hoot riser when he performed in front of Leopold II of Bavaria, inadvertently triggering the young emperor's love of high heels - a fetish which quickly spread throughout the entire court.

Not a lot of people know that.

Ressie
09-02-2017, 01:13 PM
Getting the guitar in the perfect position is different for every guitarist. And if you're that picking about the position you must be a serious guitar player. I agree with Krisi concerning breast forms getting in the way. If I ever do an act playing in drag, I'll be flat chested :) I'll have to experiment sometime with different heels!

kimdl93
09-02-2017, 02:31 PM
After decades of "wanting" to learn to play guitar and piano, I'm finally doing so...along with a few other things I've been putting off. I find that I'm experiencing considerably more challenges with chord transitions than with my breast forms!

Tracii G
09-02-2017, 05:31 PM
A quality strap and the proper adjustment is important.
I play a few hours everyday but its usually sitting down so no strap most of the time.
I repair guitars all day but I still love to play everyday.

IleneD
09-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Yeee Ha!
Can never have too many guitars.
Latest addition to the collection was this sweet (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass. Normally my favorite ax is my acoustic Yairii Alvarez, and then my green Stratocaster ; sometimes the Les Paul custom (a bit heavy even for me, it's an old late 60s model).
But I've been studying under the "Master", Sir Paul, and we've been playing up a storm since Christmas 16.
Wish I were wearing a better outfit in this pictures. :D

281570 281571

lisalove
09-02-2017, 08:16 PM
I used to have a guitar like that one,but mine had F holes in it.
I accidently left it in California at my parent's house along with 2 other guitars when I moved to Missouri.
My step mother gave them to Goodwill or the like. Couldn't be bothered to ask me if I still wanted them, or to save them for me when I went out there on Vacation, or bring them to me when they came out here on vacation.

IleneD
09-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Traci,
Love your guitar presence on this forum. Wow,... didn't know you were a luthier also. Self trained or did you go to a school?

Tracii G
09-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Starting out I read a lot of repair guides and watched videos.
Got tired of paying other people to fix or set up my guitars I gigged with.
I worked for a well respected custom guitar builder for a while and learned so much there as well.
I do have a good list of clients I do work for so I keep busy fixing stuff for others.
I love to restore guitars to their former glory or get an old worn out guitar back to playing like it should.
Ilene I just sold a 65 Hofner violin Beatle bass I had repaired a cracked headstock on.

Stacy Darling
09-03-2017, 06:56 AM
I Know that it is a great excuse for wearing heels, but who needs one!

I Play Classical with nails only. I've just measured my set up and At a thin 6' my seat height is 500mm and my foot rest is 170mm ( that's my left foot rest though? )

Stick with the heels Girl!
Stacy!

Anne K
09-03-2017, 12:45 PM
I switched to short scale bass. Am playing a Gretchen semi-acoustic. I have a Chinese Horner Club bass, that I don't play. So, I took off the frets, filled the slots and made it fretless. Sounds pretty good, but I still don't play it. Those controls baffle me!!

Wish I could play in the band as Joyce, but I'll save that for another day......

Dana44
09-03-2017, 12:59 PM
I rarely use a strap for sitting. Yet, standing most defiantly. If I plug into and amp. wow I play for hours. used to be in bands and have played for years. But heels do help when sitting. But I have long legs and no problem sitting normally.

Tracii G
09-03-2017, 02:58 PM
I have no desire to play in a band anymore just too much hassle trying to get people to show up to practice.
Having to deal with egos is a downside too.
I'm happy being a guitar tech and roadie. I can tear it up during a sound check if the band members aren't around yet.

Jaylyn
09-03-2017, 03:14 PM
I have too many guitars and mandolins, as I collect a few and play only a few of them. I love dressing though and when I practice and pick, they feel so different in heels and forms. Mandolins are just plain hard to pick in giant forms but the guitars fit way better. It's amazing how many here play, may be just a CD thing.

susan54
09-03-2017, 04:16 PM
I only play the guitar after cutting my nails - most of the time the nails on my left hand are too long to press the string to the fret. Obviously the right hand is fine but you sort of need to use both! Tried Googling hoot riser and I am no wiser - just got stuff about septic tanks. I don't recall ever having a problem with the boobs getting in the way and I just tried it out and they so do get in the way! I think that is a bit like the old man with the long beard who was asked if he slept with it inside or outside the bedclothes and the poor man never slept again because neither felt right any more.

Tracii G
09-03-2017, 05:31 PM
I think it was foot riser but it may be called hoot I never used one whatever they are called.
I'm not into image or trying to look like a professional player. I may be in womens clothes and I may not when I practice I feel the same either way.
I filled in for a female guitar player in an 80's glam metal band for 3 shows.
The lead singer she knew I was a CD and played in a metal band for years so I accepted the gig.
Had a fun time all 3 shows. Guys were buying me drinks during the show and I don't drink.
The girls in the band made sure the drinks were consumed.

Ressie
09-03-2017, 05:59 PM
I currently play with two bands and also do a solo act. One band rehearses once a week the other has never rehearsed!

Lisa Roberts
09-03-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm a drummer. No heels for sure!🙁 However....maybe I'll try heels whilst playing, worth a try!

Evie82
09-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Playing my strat, bass or SG isn't too much of a problem en femme, neither is the keytar, but the boobs get in the way of my acoustics and often my Sheraton when I try to play in my guy mode position.
I just think to myself it could be worse - Bunny Bennett said it was really hard work learning to play the accordion again after her transition! But she did it! Coming from a pro that's a ray of hope for the rest of us.

Alisonforme
09-04-2017, 08:25 PM
I love playing en femme! Left hand nails are great for added flamenco flair!
And heels always make it more comfy whether I'm on the couch or on a stool.
Standing and playing in heels is just plain hot!!
I need to snap some pics next time!

Krisi
09-05-2017, 08:47 AM
I have no desire to play in a band anymore just too much hassle trying to get people to show up to practice.
....... .

They practice?

We did that years ago and had some tight, good sounding bands. Nowadays, a singer will book a job, then call a few people to play it. The "band" doesn't sound very good but the thought is if they play loud enough and fast enough, nobody will notice. Apparently it's true because the club owner doesn't care what the band sounds like, he listens to the sound of the cash register.

I'm retired. I played a month ago for the first time in three years or so but that was more of a reunion than anything else.

5150 Girl
09-06-2017, 10:02 PM
I think we need to form a band here. Can I bring this one?

Tracii G
09-06-2017, 10:24 PM
Sure I see no reason not to.
I'll bring these

5150 Girl
09-13-2017, 11:23 AM
I'll babysit the one with the flames on for ya if you need a babysitter.....

Tracii G
09-13-2017, 11:39 AM
That one has been sold recently so its at its new home.
A real monster of a guitar tone wise and played like a dream.

Barbara Jo
09-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Yeee Ha!
Can never have too many guitars.
Latest addition to the collection was this sweet (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass. Normally my favorite ax is my acoustic Yairii Alvarez, and then my green Stratocaster ; sometimes the Les Paul custom (a bit heavy even for me, it's an old late 60s model).
But I've been studying under the "Master", Sir Paul, and we've been playing up a storm since Christmas 16.
Wish I were wearing a better outfit in this pictures. :D

281570 281571

How is the (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass?

I once had a Hofner "Club" bass in the late '60s.... which is basically the same as the Hofner "Beatle" bass.
The only difference is, the "Club" has a more traditional body shape .
I think that I shed a tear when I had to sell the Hofner.

Tracii G
09-13-2017, 12:32 PM
I had a Hofner club bass. A 1965 model and I liked that it was short scale,long scale basses don't work so well with short arms.

Kaz
09-14-2017, 04:45 AM
I love the rig Tracii! My Boogie died at the sound check at a festival event this year. Plugged into the reserve backline Marshall... and everyone loved my sound! LOL So I have bought Marshall, pending the Boogie getting fixed. Currently using my ever faithful 71 Les Paul Custon, Ibanez Jem7, JV Strat, Rickenbacker 12 string, Danelectro, and a Tanglewood acoustic... oh yes and my Fender bass. I really want a Tele!

Only 6... I missed one... must go looking!

For the original poster... My boobs don't get in the way, but the right one gets excited when I am sitting down playing! Foot stools work, but 3 inch wedges also do the trick!

Tip for the day... try playing a wahwah with heels!

Ineke Vashon
09-14-2017, 06:40 AM
Thirty two posts show why there are lots of Guitar stores and Guitar centers but few good keyboard centers. I started out playing rhythm guitar (think Marty Grosz or Freddy Green with the Count Basie band - yup, that dates me) on an f-hole guitar but switched to keyboard. Still play, mainly for my own amazement.:whistling:

Ineke

Ressie
09-14-2017, 06:48 AM
I bought a new American Tele 25 years ago and it's been my main axe ever since. My latest addition is a 2005 Gibson SG which has much different feel. I like how light SGs are.

I need to take more CD/guitar photos!

Tracii G
09-14-2017, 07:13 AM
SG's are light for sure I like the ones from 1965 thru 75 better for some reason maybe its the neck joint who knows.

Sorry to hear about your Boogie going down Kaz.Those are built like tanks but components will break sometimes.
Marshalls are great too I sold my 84 JCM 800 2204 head to the guitar player in the band I tech for and I get to hear it cranked and its like a slice of heaven.

Chelsea B
09-14-2017, 07:47 PM
It's great to see so many guitar playing CD'ers here!
I wanted to play most of my life, but too busy with work.
Finally got into it just 3 years ago, in my 60's. Now I can't stop buying them.

Tracii G
09-14-2017, 07:59 PM
You can never have too many guitars Chelsea.

Chelsea B
09-14-2017, 08:29 PM
So I have discovered. One up side is my wife is probably happier about me buying guitars, than dresses and heels.

Tracii G
09-14-2017, 08:39 PM
I had to rent a climate controlled storage unit to keep most of mine in because my safe at home only held around 10 or so.

Ressie
09-14-2017, 09:47 PM
SG's are light for sure I like the ones from 1965 thru 75 better for some reason maybe its the neck joint who knows.

True, I had a '73 SG Deluxe that had a much better feel than this 2005. I love Les Pauls but they're too heavy for my back now days. Still have a '71 ES175 that I bought in 1983. Nice for Jazz. I bought the SG for Blues in an attempt to get Clapton's tone before he switched to Strats. Tracii, I need your Marshall for that!

Tracii G
09-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Les Pauls too heavy ?? Never
The 78 LP custom I played for so long was 12.9 lbs my 81 custom was 12 lbs even.
Most of the ones I have had have been in the 8.5-9 lbs range.
This one is barely 8 lbs and well worn but it plays and sounds great.
Plenty of dings on the body and paint shrinkage at the body binding plus some arm wear.
I got it cheap and had to level the frets, re crown them, install a new set of tuners and install a new wiring harness.
I wired it 50's style and installed a Jensen paper in oil .05 cap in the neck circuit and a .022 Mallory paper in oil cap in the bridge circuit.
The neck tone is smooth and creamy while the bridge tone is like a snarling dog.LOL

Krisi
09-15-2017, 08:59 AM
How is the (Epiphone) violin "Beatle" bass?

I once had a Hofner "Club" bass in the late '60s.... which is basically the same as the Hofner "Beatle" bass.
The only difference is, the "Club" has a more traditional body shape .
I think that I shed a tear when I had to sell the Hofner.

I played a Fender Precision bass for years. Then I replaced it with an original Music Man. That was far better in many ways than the Precision. Then I bought a Kubicki X factor. That's the one with the capo on the E string that allows playing an Eb or D without retuning. I love it. Not just the ability to play the lower notes, but it sounds better than my previous basses. It balances beautifully and has a slender neck.

Before I retired I used to sit in with a local band, sometimes all night, sometimes just a set. The bass player had a Peavey and it sounded decent. Then his wife bought him a Hofner hollow body because it was lighter. I played it and didn't like it at all. The neck was like a baseball bat sawed in half and the sound was mushy. My personal opinion of course, but I've ben playing bass for fifty years professionally so I've been around a bit.

5150 Girl
09-25-2017, 01:50 PM
My Gibson LesPaul Sonex is heavy to, even though the Sonex doesn't have the frills of a higher end Les Paul.... (pics on 1st page of thread) But it has quite the story. I was knocked off it's stand and the head stock got broken. It was also one of the few survivors of a house fire I had back in mid 90's

Tracii G
09-25-2017, 01:59 PM
The Sonex bodies were made of a material called resonwood.
The core of the body was wood and then covered in the synthetic material sort of like fiberglass.
The reasoning was in the 80's sourcing wood for guitars was getting hard to do.

sarab
09-25-2017, 02:13 PM
5 Strats here (an 86 MIJ, an 03 MIM Powerhouse and 3 awesome Squiers) along with 2 Les Pauls (82 Gibson Heritage Series and 04 Epiphone Ace Frehley model) but have never played en femme. Sounds like I've got a new thing to try!

Tracii G
09-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Put your boobs on and play for a while LOL
Any of the 80's thru 96 MIJ strats were great guitars
I had a few foto flame teles a few fotoflame strats that were 96's and a few HM model MIJ strats.
This one I loved because it played so awesome and I love hot pink.
The fotoflame 96 was just a perfect guitar playability and tone were awesome

5150 Girl
09-25-2017, 04:12 PM
The Sonex bodies were made of a material called resonwood.
The core of the body was wood and then covered in the synthetic material sort of like fiberglass.
The reasoning was in the 80's sourcing wood for guitars was getting hard to do. A mahogany core I believe... And I'd compare the rosen to more of an epoxy, but, it still works.
What's nice about the Sonex is one could still have a Gibson LesPaul, without having to drop big coin!

Tracii G
09-25-2017, 04:39 PM
I like the Sonex no matter what they made them from they are great playing guitars.
I'm not a cork sniffer type player /collector that bashes other peoples guitars.
I have have had super expensive high end Les Paul historic models and a few 50's Les Pauls plus some newer mid 90's Gibsons and they were all great guitars.My 56 Les Paul Jr and 59 Melody Maker single cut were by far the best playing and sounding Gibsons I ever had.
I have had literally 100s of vintage guitars and to be honest they are all wood and steel with strings on them.
I had a 57 strat that I bought in a vintage store just to have one and it was actually horrible guitar over all.
Sounded tinny and weak and played really bad. It was an investment not a player and I made money at the time of sale.

AlexisRaeMoon
09-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Put your boobs on and play for a while LOL
Any of the 80's thru 96 MIJ strats were great guitars

Totally agreed on 80's MIJ Strats - this was my first guitar, and I still love playing it. This thing has been with me for almost 30 years now.

PS: And how cool is that we can have these conversations about guitar here, too? I love this site.

Tracii G
09-25-2017, 10:39 PM
I'm partial to Jackson guitars too and played them for years.
The one on the far left is my #1 and its an original USA San Dmas Jackson.

Alice B
09-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Played and sang in bars for several years. In time life moved on and I stoped playing, but still have my guitar. But, I was not a dresser then, yet looking back it would have been fun. Can't play now due to fingers curved in from Duptrans. I look at my guitar daily and want to try an play it. Now I will have to put new strings on it and give it a try after reading your post. Thanks.

Tracii G
09-26-2017, 12:18 AM
Alice where there is a will there is a way.
In 2001 I had a seizure and lost a lot of my ability to play and had to relearn how to play.
I miss being able to lay down face melting solos and do all the fancy hammer ons and pull offs and do all the show off stuff.
Now I can hold my own and am a solid rhythm player mainly and sometimes I can pull a lead out of thin air just jamming.I think some of the flash I had is still there its just getting my brain to tell my fingers to do it.
It wasn't easy relearning and I'm a mere shadow of the player I used to be but I still practice everyday in hopes of that light going off in my head and the ability coming back.

5150 Girl
09-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost some finger tips in an accident at his job in a machine shop. It was his last day of work there to! He made himself some prosthetic tips from plastic and leather and de-tuned his guitar a bit.
For more details...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Iommi
yes, I know it's wack-apedia, but, this entry is consistent with other place I've heard his story as well.

monika
09-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Cool to see many guitarplayers here!

Love seeing your pics Tracii!! I love 80's guitars.
Don't really have any anymore though since I sold my Snakeskin USA Jackson Soloist the other day.
Play Suhrs and Tylers mostly.

Never played guitar in girl mode.
Dressing is an escape from everydaylife and I play guitar for a living so that might be why :)

Ineke Vashon
09-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Some make take inspiration from early jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, founder of the Hot Club de France sometime back in the thirties. He badly burned his left hand in a fire and learned how to play lead with his three remaining fingers. Plenty of videos on youtube to check out his playing skill in spite of his handicap.

Ineke

Tracii G
09-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Yes he was an amazing player for sure.
Good to see you Monika its been a long time since I've seen you here.
80 s guitars are more my thing but I have sold off most all of my USA Jackson and Charvels.
I am going to keep my 86 USA one hum Jackson because its my #1.
I enjoy playing the ones I build or have brought back from the dead because its more satisfying.
I have done two shows live in girl mode filling in for the guitar player an all girl glam metal band.
It was fun but not something I would want to do all the time.
I say that because I don't have any desire to get back into a band.

5150 Girl
09-27-2017, 07:57 AM
Some make take inspiration from early jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, founder of the Hot Club de France sometime back in the thirties. He badly burned his left hand in a fire and learned how to play lead with his three remaining fingers. Plenty of videos on youtube to check out his playing skill in spite of his handicap.

Ineke

A friend of Iommi's played some Reinhardt for him. It was what inspired Iommi to not give up and to keep playing

ThiHi
09-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Bassist here, checking in. Played pro for years. Not at the current time. Would I again? The right situation, definitely. Dressed? That would be fun!