PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Attitude, Changes in... Layout of my closet?

Ceera
09-03-2017, 10:46 PM
When I moved to Oregon at the end of 2015, and bought a house here in early 2016, I knew up front that I planned to be out about being trans with my neighbors. But at the time I still wasn't out to family and many of my friends. So when I arranged my clothes in my nice new walk-in closet, it was done with an eye to being able to hide the girly wardrobe from a casual peek in the closet by visitors. All my overtly female clothes went into 16" wide cloth garment bags on the closet rods, neatly sorted by skirts, blouses, etc. and all my shoes went kind of behind the closet door, on the floor for boots and in hanging organizers for the heels and pumps and flats. Closest to the door was my small remaining selection of male slacks and dress shirts, and my more or less unisex female clothes, so I could open the door part way and no overtly female stuff was visible. The arrangement and installation quality of the closet rods and wire shelves left something to be desired, but I felt I should wait a bit before re-designing the layout.

Well, now I am out to the main part of my family, and everyone who is the least bit likely to visit my home and walk into my bedroom either knows and accepts my feminine side, or would be likely to accept if they saw all the feminine stuff in my bedroom. My room looks rather irrevocably like a girl's bedroom anyway, with stuffed animals on display everywhere, and purses and other female stuff scattered about. Same for my main bathroom, with makeup on the counter and earring racks on the wall. The time when I could shift a few things around to hide the girly stuff is long past.

On Friday I bought a larger shoe rack to hang on my closet door. The old one technically held 24 pairs, but for tennis shoes and larger booties I needed to use two pockets per pair. The new one is supposed to hold 36 pair, on sloping racks, three pair per rack. Maybe it does for a lady with normal sized feet, but it is a tight squeeze to get my size-11 'gunboats' parked on it. I can do it if I put the outer two pair heels-out, as intended, but reverse the middle pair to put them heels-in. Even that doesn't work for my sneakers. Still, the rack replaced both the earlier 24-pocket rack and an additional 12-pocket shoe storage hangar, and still has room for more shoes on it!

But there is one tiny problem... As my closet is laid out now, it won't fit on the back of the closet door. Too thick, with the shoes pointing at the door instead of parallel to the door's surface!

Which means, the new rack has to go on the front of the door, in plain sight...

Now my girly side is delighted by this. It's a victory for her that my attitudes have changed enough in her favor that I really don't care who sees all my girly stuff any more. Her pretty heels and sandals and other shoes are on display and much easier to choose from, while the boots and ankle-high booties remain easily accessed in the closet. And it is a perfect excuse to renovate the rest of the closet!

At the very least, the 4' section behind the door needs work, so the clothes on the hangars can move back 4", and allow the shoe-laden door to swing in further, for better access. But also all the clothing bags will go, so the girly clothes can be better accessed and selected from. And I am pretty sure the few remaining male clothes will end up way in the back!

ellbee
09-03-2017, 11:34 PM
I hear ya.

I totally gotta do something with *ALL THESE FREAKIN' LEGGINGS* I've accumulated! :roflmao:

Because the way they're "organized" now, just ain't cutting it.

One of these days... :)

kimdl93
09-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Long missive.

Bear in mind I write from the perspective of one who is downsizing everything. I'm down to a 27' RV If I haven't used it in a year, and it takes up spaces, it's gone.

Dana44
09-04-2017, 12:09 AM
I need to add more space to my closet. I have a full closet in a spare bedroom and need to move some of my fem clothes in there.

Ceera
09-04-2017, 01:27 AM
One goal of getting everything out of the bags is to ensure unused stuff can't hide, unseen. I plan to try the trick of reversing the hooks on all the hangars, hooking them back to front on the bar, and switching the hooks back to normal as I use things. If the hook is still backwards a year from now, I never wore it, and it can go!