PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a laugh with an estate agent !

Teresa
09-09-2017, 08:36 AM
I'm still looking for the right property so made an appointment this morning to view another bungalow. I met the agent outside the property at 9.30 this morning (Saturday ), it is being sold with vacant possession . He tried the door key but couldn't get it to work, so he rang the office to double check the key number, which was right . He suggested I tried and somehow manged to open it, we found the problem was someone had left the key in the lock on the inside . We started looking in the lounge and then a voice behind us asked if he could help us, we were greeted with a guy in shorts and Tshirt , the agent was speechless so I apologised for him about entering the house thinking it was empty. He then just shrugged his shoulders and told us it wasn't a problem , so we carried on.

It wasn't till we viewed the garden that he apologised to me about this incident and said he would have some strong words with the office staff on his return. I told him it wasn't a problem , then recounted a story about entering a house belonging to a gay couple to photograph it for the agent , he assured me it was unoccupied for the weekend, I must admit I made a hasty retreat when I heard giggles coming from the bedroom !

I then went onto explain the reason for me viewing a property for myself, I pointed out an area where I would add a sunroom or conservatory with the intention of running a painting group dressed as I was TG . He made no bones about it simply saying if it makes you happy where's the problem .

This incident could have been far worse, I did ask the guy if it was OK to view the bedrooms assuming any lady friends had chance to leave , he just smiled and said chance would be a fine thing .

As we left through the front door I again remarked about the view from the doorstep, it was a very elevated plot being approached by a stepped path . I couldn't help remarking that it's going to be interesting when I leave by the front door dressed in 4" heels that it would be like descending from a stage for all to see . So the agent asked with a smile did I have any heels in the car to practice with ? I replied I didn't but that wasn't a bad idea , but I wouldn't let on what was in my car anyway !

I loved the bungalow so again I have my fingers crossed that we will receive a sensible offer on my home in the near future .

joank
09-09-2017, 10:33 AM
If this happened in Southern California, I would immediately think it was a squatter's take over. I helped deal with a couple of those and our (SO Cal) laws make it very difficult to eject them once they are established. Check out this possibility.

Stacy Darling
09-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Hope that you can find a nice place Teresa!

Some Sun and a Garden will be so nice for you!
Best of luck with it,
Stacy!

Dana44
09-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Hope you find a place Teresa, I hope you get a really nice place. Keep looking while your house is selling.

docrobbysherry
09-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Funny story, Teresa! However, as an"estate agent" here in SoCal for 40 years I could tell u some stories quite similar!:heehee:

Joan, I don't know where u live in Cal. but we don't have problems with squatters in SoCal. They have no legal rites here to property not related to them. It's called "breaking and entering" and the police will most certainly remove and arrest them in my experience!:straightface:

Pat
09-09-2017, 11:47 AM
I've been on both sides of that story. ;) A hazard of moving too many times, I guess. At least you got to view the property.

Lana Mae
09-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Best wishes on finding a nice place! Hugs Lana Mae

Tracy Irving
09-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Unless it was "for sale by owner" they were never present during any showings. That seems awkward.

While we love our current home, we are constantly looking for something better. Today was no exception.

Good luck with your dream home search.

Teresa
09-10-2017, 03:29 AM
Tracy,
It could have been very embarrassing if we started viewing with the bedrooms. Normally most estate agents aren't stuck for words but his mouth was opening and closing like a goldfish but no words were coming out so I stepped in to help him out . I will ring the agent on Monday to find out who the guy was and make an offer on the property, now if it was an attractive blond that appeared instead I might have asked if she comes with the house sale !!

We love our house too, we have lived in it for thirty years, I did a great deal of the extra building work myself, we ran my photography business here for thirty years , the kids grew up here . Many , many memories will end here when the moves take place , OK it is sad my wife and I aren't moving on together but we do intend to support each other and still help with the kids and grandchildren.

Shelly Preston
09-10-2017, 03:40 AM
Teresa,
You may be moving out of your house but the memories will never leave you :hugs:

Nikkilovesdresses
09-10-2017, 06:43 AM
Exciting times T. Good luck with the search.

Lisa Roberts
09-10-2017, 06:49 AM
Stay strong and true to yourself. Best wishes to you.
Lace and Smiles,
Lisa

joank
09-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Here in Hemet it took over two years to move a squatter out due to the owner living in NY State and not being available. It was drugs, stolen material sales and utilities hijacking continued till the final eviction. It was a problem. There was an additional attempted take over that was stopped in the first day that was very close to the property I'm referring to (about a block). The attempt already had locks ready, electricity, water and cable being hooked in. Luckly I new ald called the owner and the sheriff and that attempt ended.

DIANEF
09-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Bit late to this but good luck with the move Teresa. I may be in the same boat one day...

Teresa
09-11-2017, 01:06 PM
To update the thread, the estate agent rang to ask if I liked the property and wondered if I would like to make an offer. As I'm not officially allowed to make an offer until I have received a formal offer I suggested a price which she said might be acceptable.

I then asked who the guy was, she said it was the son of the owners but couldn't explain why he was there .

The outcome was I gave my estate agent a rocket for not doing enough to find prospective buyers . There is so much to tie up after we do get a buyer and at the moment it's like living in limbo !

Many thanks to all for your good wishes, I know you sense how much it means to me . To be free to hang my femme clothes in my own wardrobes and to be dressed as I choose is partly scary but mostly something wonderful to look forward to .

Jaylyn
09-11-2017, 01:09 PM
you should always remember that if the house fits what your looking for then go for it. My wife and I have always been like we'll get back to you and have lost several good deals on housing in our lifetime. The better places always are out there but if your happy I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll get what you want. You might want to go back though and try that path with the four inch heels just to make sure. .... Lol

Teresa
09-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Jaylyn,
That thought keeps going round in my head, there is one bungalow across the road and boy are they going to get a front seat view. I hope they like a drink because I may introduce myself and put them in the picture and present them with a bottle of wine but there again they may just think it's my partner .