PDA

View Full Version : Hair Curlers - Did you ever get to experience them ? Did you want to ?

Robbiegirl
09-12-2017, 04:11 PM
When I was in my all boys boarding school in the 70s all the smaller boys had to play girls parts in plays. They had only a few bad wigs so the teachers wives and daughters started experimenting with curlers on us. OMG It was so fun for the ladies and those of us who secretly liked it but very embarrassing when around the other guys . Having your hair set and curled was amazing.

Playing a girls part several times most of us learned that when in full girly mode it was best to act flirty with the boys which really scared them away. The best

defense is a good offense.

Tracii G
09-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Had some on earlier today.
I got no excitement from wearing them I just wanted wavy hair today.

KatieV
09-12-2017, 04:21 PM
My sister had a bonnet style hair dryer which I coveted, perfect for using with curlers! I was certain that it could transform me into the girl that I wanted to be, with the hair that I wanted to have...

Joan_CD
09-12-2017, 05:01 PM
My hair is past my shoulders. Depending on what style I want I will or won't use curlers and I dry them with a hair bonnet that dries it quickly!

Dana44
09-12-2017, 05:11 PM
We bought curlers for my hair the long ones for daringly curls and used them a few times as they work pretty well.

prettytoes
09-12-2017, 05:12 PM
I used to get perms many years ago...a whole head of tight little rollers...and yes, I liked it!

Tracii G
09-12-2017, 05:16 PM
I use hot rollers 99% of the time and never a perm.
I tried a perm once and my hair is so fine it just burned it.
Can't use a curling iron either the cool setting will burn my hair in two.
After washing and conditioning my hair today I just braided it and tied it off with hair bands and let it dry.
Sleep on it tonight and have a head full of loose waves tomorrow.

MsDyann
09-12-2017, 05:24 PM
I love to wear curlers and style my longer hair. Way more fun than wearing a wig.

Love to all Dyann

Patrica Gil
09-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Yes I have had the pleasure of wearing curlers, and it is amazing when you are all done and your hair has beautiful curls. My hair is long and about four times a year I curl it.

Tracy Irving
09-12-2017, 05:48 PM
I had curlers in my hair for one perm. A group of us did it. We were young and stupid.

Now, long hair looks terrible on me. No need to go down that road again.

Robertacd
09-12-2017, 10:01 PM
I have had my hair in curlers twice, but not big curls those little wave rods. Once in the early 80's but just wet hair not permanent. My mom and aunt rolled it up and had me sit under a little mini hair dryer like KatieV posted.

In the late 80's I had hair way down past my shoulders and got a curly perm, it was so much fun a girl I knew rolled it up for me. I had so much hair it took two sets of wave rods and two perm solutions.

I loved that hairdo once it was done even though I looked like Jerry Garcia or Tiny Tim in guy mode.

ginapoodle
09-12-2017, 10:20 PM
If I had hair I would...sounds fun....very girly!

Beauty Parlor Bev
09-12-2017, 11:55 PM
I did. I did. And I LOVE it!282036282037

Hidey
09-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Yes it was one of my early wishes to have my hair in curlers. Couple of times had a hairdresser put my hair in rollers and then under a dryer. No longer have enough hair,

Sarah Doepner
09-13-2017, 09:09 AM
I always had naturally curly hair but now that it's thin it goes frizzy rather than wavy. So from time to time I will put my hair in medium size curlers to smooth it out. I haven't gone out like that since my hair is just a little too thin but I love the look of fullness I can get, as long as you don't look at my bald spot!

susan jackson
09-13-2017, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't know how to put them in!

Kayliedaskope
09-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Naturally curly hair, never needed them.
I still get lots of compliments from GG's about how they wish they had hair like mine, even in drab.

Sarasometimes
09-13-2017, 12:56 PM
When i was young and had enough hair i would get men perms in the early 80's and I loved the whole experience. My hairdresser would put the rods in so tight my head felt like it was being pulled apart. She also changed salons very often so I got to experience many different beauty salons and she seemed to do my perm different each time with great results.
Now i still have that love of salon time so i get my human hair wigs set in rollers usually but I did have 2 get a ponytail perm which was incredible to have done. I so love being put under the dryer so I can just relax and take in the sights of the salon.
Here are some links to Pinterest of me getting my wigs styled

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504583479937/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504583480155/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504582938472/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504582938459/

Getting my wig highlighted:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473159504582938459/
I have been to more wonderful salons than I have time to go to.

Diane Smith
09-13-2017, 10:03 PM
That device in your first Pinterest link looks like something out of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. I'm glad you and your hair both survived.

- Diane

sometimes_miss
09-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Like labor pains, all the problems and discomfort which accompanies menstruation, being groped on the subway by disgusting strangers, etc., wearing curlers is just another one of the things that I don't wish to experience. Sure, it might make the 'female experience' a bit more realistic, but if I can't have the good parts about being a girl, why would I want the bad ones? I remember well my older sister complaining about how uncomfortable she was, trying to sleep while wearing curlers. That's probably why they invented curling wands (and all sorts of chemical perms), and why they sell so well rather than the daily wearing of curlers.

Sarasometimes
09-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Diane, It does look a bit scary but actually it is painless and very quick. The curlers have hole in them that let the warm air pass through via the hoses, and it dries fast and it is not a hot as sitting under a dryer. Drawback is it is a bit loud, so they gave me pink foam ear plugs to wear, then it was nice calming white noise!
Sometimes-miss, one person idea of of discomfort may not apply to another. Example; I hate when my feet hurt so I skip high heels but another here may find it acceptable because they love the look. Same with me, i don't find the process uncomfortable but enjoyable. Maybe I'm odd, but that I think may be a given.

JenniferR771
09-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Oh yes, to curlers! I told my hair salon girl about me. Then one day I had a makeover and she washed my hair, then put dozens of small curlers in my hair. My hair was a bit short for large rollers. And then to the bullet dryer. Then comb out my hair and apply the makeup. I was dressed in a nice green skirt suit with jacket and earrings. Went shopping.

Jenny22
09-14-2017, 10:48 AM
I've done it myself a few times just before a haircut. I used small, foam curlers, rolled as tight as I could. It wasn't in pretty, even rows. I donned a sleeping cap over the curlers and slept with them on. It was different, but felt feminine.

Joanne Curl
09-14-2017, 11:18 AM
When I was much younger and had long hair I loved using setting lotion and putting my hair in curlers. I'd sleep with them in and wake up to curly hair. My hair was straight as string so it was really cool to have curly bouncey hair. I loved how I looked and felt with my hair curled, so feminine.

CONSUELO
09-14-2017, 11:24 AM
I used to curl my long hair. It was great to have nice bouncy waves. It was a common thing many years ago. I don't think many women do it any more

Sarasometimes
09-15-2017, 09:28 AM
I have not done the sleeping in curlers thing and with nearly no hair it won't happen but that reminded me of a neighbor back in the 90's. She had limp straight hair and got perms at a salon that would send her home with the perm rods still in her hair. My wife once asked her about it, it was called an air neutralized perm. They did the first chemical, rinsed that out, blotted her hair then put a hairnet over them and home she went. The next morning she would return, they would rinse her hair again, take them out and style it. She claimed that the perms stayed curlier for much longer but that it was painful to sleep with those tight hard rods in her hair but that the results were worth it in her opinion. She also mentioned that she got some strange looks if she stopped somewhere on the way home. I bet she did.
My stylist never tried that with me, darn!

colourmannn
10-09-2017, 07:42 AM
I love the look of a women with curlers and a scarf-a throwback to my younger years. I had my hair permed once in my teens, a friend (female) of a friend hairdresser did my hair. I was so looking forward to the whole experience, unfortunately, my friend and the hair dresser talked the entire time, including me in their conversation, ruining the fantasy. I did eventually have a few minute to relax and enjoy the experience once I was under the hair drier. Now balding, that was a once in a life time experience LOL.

Sarasometimes
10-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I so miss my 80's perm appointments. I loved the whole tedious process, from the super tight rod wind-up, The added tug from the rod stabilizers, the smell of the perming solution, the damp cotton, the cute plastic cap and time under the dryer, set to Perm temp (to those who have not had one, this setting is hotter than the hot setting). Then just when you might get some relief, she declare that you are ready to be rinsed. Sound great, till you get to the sink and she guides you back so you can spend about the next 15 or 20 minutes "resting" your neck against the rods at your nape. Once that is done it is a haircut, and style which often times was more time sitting with heat lamps slowly drying your new curls. Wow do I miss that!
The last salon she worked at while i was still getting perms took 4 hours for a perm with several conditioning steps added to the process. Hair came out beautifully!

Jillian Faith
10-10-2017, 05:45 AM
My wife has rolled my hair on several occasions and while we enjoyed the experience my receding hairline and thinning bald spot would not allow me to go out enfemme with my natural hair. Also my salt and pepper hair has more salt than pepper so its wigs for this girl.

CarlaWestin
10-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Growing up with older sisters, they taught me how to curl their hair. And, there were endless hours sitting at the beauty parlor while mom had her hair done every Saturday.
Does anyone remember Spoolies?

Allisa
10-10-2017, 09:20 AM
So many times that when I let my hair air dry it naturally curls and waves. It all started when I was much younger and for some reason girls loved my waist length blond hair and most were learning to be beauticians so I was a practice "head" for them. I was in denial back then but with the surging of hormones and the promise of sex what was a little embarrassment. With my mother and sisters in curlers all the time they held and still do not hold any mystery or excitement for me.

countrygirl
10-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Oh my dear God Yes! Mom and grandmother both had hot curlers and I tried mom's one time when I was pretending to be sick at home just so I could dress. I love it. I now have foam curlers and they are not the same thing but I would like to one day get my own set of hot curlers. Felt normal when I was using hot curlers.

EmilyByNight
10-10-2017, 10:08 AM
No, my hair is so ridiculously curly that it constantly stands on end if I don't put a ton of product in it every day.

Sarasometimes
10-11-2017, 12:20 PM
I definitely remember spoolies and I too recall being "stuck" at the beauty parlor, waiting for my mother's hair to dry. I still think i remember all the neat scents from those visits. Whether is was the strong odor of a perm, the aroma of hairspray or the ammonia from the hair color. I vaguely recall once trying to take an empty seat under one of the hood dryers and being gently but firmly admonished by my mom "Boys don't sit there." Maybe that is why I so enjoy and want to sit there often?

Allisa,
In High school there was the cosmetology classroom at the end of a hallway, so you could see in as your made the turn. I loved those chances to catch a peek and the girls looked so cute in their pure white uniform dresses (think nurses uniform) that were require of them.