PDA

View Full Version : Took a tour in the Mall today

Marie-Jo
09-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Saturday afternoon. I have been dressed all day and was really keen on getting out seeing other people. I had read in the paper about a book "Conversations with friends" by Sally Rooney and got interested to buy it. Checking the internet I found that they had it in a bookstore in the big Mall 10 miles away. So I fixed my makeup, put on my latest sewn jacket and took the car on the road.
I took the black leather skirt, a black tee and the black jacket, matching with blue leggings and sandals. I added pearl clips in the ears and a pearl necklace. I put he hair behind my ears to get the ear clips exposed.
I have been many times to the Mall and then in my usual non-conforming drab style. Usually I see people take a second look at me due to my (drab) style. This was my first time out there fully dressed with silicon in the bra, skirt, red lips, black eyes.
As many say, old women become invisible and I am rather old so I had the idea that no one would take a second look this time, thinking that a looked like a woman. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed because that was what happened. Very few looked at me at all.
I went to the bookstore and asked the SA (a big guy) where I could find it, speaking in my ordinary guy low voice. He fetched the book and we spoke a bit. The only reaction I could notice was that he avoided to look at me in more detail, from what I would expect "normally". A few pictures from the style I had, taken at home at the return. I also put in a picture from the pattern I used to sew the jacket. I have made it in black to make it more useful than if in silk as the pattern proposes.
Anyway, nice in a way to become more invisible, even if a bit dressed down with light makeup, but also a bit disappointed :o.282133 Color is black in real life but looks blue i the window light. Right photo is taken with flash so a bit more black.
282138 Left is from pattern envelope. It is a combo with jacket, top and a layered skirt. Nice pattern out of production bought on the internet from a couple that had inherited an old sewing shop, selling via auction website.
Now, I will start reading the book.

Tracy Irving
09-16-2017, 02:05 PM
What you experienced was what many here strive for. I wonder if they will be disappointed when it finally happens to them.

If you want to be noticed, maybe next time get a little flashier?

Rachael Leigh
09-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a great day Maria. I don't pass at 100 percent but going out is just normal for me and rarely do I get strange looks but I do get some conversations but all just normal
Love your outfit, might try a colorful scarf to go with it next time

kimdl93
09-16-2017, 04:03 PM
its fun to get out and experience the world! I haven't quite reconciled myself to being an older woman, although clearly that is what I am. Still, as you say, it has its advantages!!!

Did you mention sewing that jacket for yourself?

Marie-Jo
09-17-2017, 03:38 AM
Tracy, you are right on, but this time I was targeting an impression of a just ordinary woman. Even if I was lucky this time, I would say I missed getting some attention, at least a little bit, well aware that if I had had it, it would have been a bit of a failure.
Leigh, nor do I pass. I have a prominent bump on my throat and is immedeately given away when speaking. People that look twice will have no problem to spot me as a CD, but going "invisble" mean that they maybe don't see me at all or just once. The colorful scarf, I tested one before going, could be the thing that produce that extra look that tells the viewer, something is odd here. The other problem is that the scarf tend to accentuate the proportions of my face that are masculine. A more feminine blouse would have been fine but I have not sewn that one yet.
Kim, yes I sew it to myself. I'm very fond of the whole combo but the jacket is the easiest part, no collar and just a small piece of fabric. I should have made it a bit longer in the back but thought from the toile I made in a scrap fabric that it was long enough. I will do it in a different fabric and then a bit longer but still rather short. I would like to do the top and the skirt too but goin to the Mall in that one would get a lot of attention i believe. Unfortunately, I think it wouldn't look that good on me either. Anyway, I am looking for the fabric I would love to use to sew it in. It is just too tempting even if I maybe never will go to a dinner dressed in it. It would be good enough to do it at home. My wife frowns when I "look too good", but is more and more getting used to it.
The top is seen here 282169 This is from my toile but it is a bit misleading as the edges are with almost 2" that is to be folded in, meaning that it will get shorter.

bridget thronton
09-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Very nice job on the jacket and nice presentation

Teresa
09-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Marie,
I'm a couple of years younger but I still can't say if we blend in or people are trying to avoid normal contact .
Thanks for sharing your story I still have this part of CDing to happen for me. Is it such a big difference between meeting the public in a hotel and being out in the High Street ?

I think you look fine , please don't take this the wrong way but maybe the navy leggings and low sandals aren't the best combination with the black leather skirt. I have one in black and the one in my avatar in Oxblood (dark tan, ) and wouldn't wear leggings with them . OK so I do like my heels too much but I realise I will have to put more everyday outfits together .

Marie-Jo
09-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Teresa
From my experience, more stylish dressing will result in being looked at more thoroughly. Especially by women, less by men. Men seem to notice makeup more. You are quite right about the leggings, colours etc. but that was on purpose. A woman that swiftly was in the mall to shop. Esse non videri or to be without being seen, which is in the weapon of the late and rich Marcus Wallenberg.
I will certainly test a different look later. :heehee:
As for High Street versus Hotels. The difference as I see it is the duration that a spectator has. I took the bus to City when I went for the Pride event. Waiting for the bus I was at distance thoroughly looked at from at least five persons. I do not know what they saw but I was a bit oddly dressed compared to the others, but I was also the only elderly person. Probably not expected to take the bus with that dressing style.
Case is - I really don't care what they see or think as long they leave me alone, not attacking. I have never had any such problem but I have heard comments behind my back.

Teresa
09-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Marie,
It is sad we have to consider toning down style , I know it's a problem most CDers have as we have dressed mostly in drab for much of our lives .

I meant to add how much I enjoyed Stockholm , I've been a couple of times , it's a wonderful and safe city to wonder round , sadly my second visit was in and out the airport on the way to Malmo . I had to photograph several cars for Christie's for their auction catalogue . I know it's going back some but we caught the hovercraft from Malmo to Copenhagen airport to fly back to the UK .

Marie-Jo
09-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Teresa
Sad, I do not think so, It is a matter of presenting yourself with the intent you have for the context. My younger daughter is participating in a leadership training for women. One session was on dressing, held by a person known from TV as some expert shopping assistant. My daughter and her fellow participants went mad over the message sent that they saw as wrong or overdressing. They were well aware of the need of "power dressing" when at work. The shopping assistant didn't have the same view, nor the same position as these career women.
As CD dressing at home or when Halloween the goal for presenting oneself is different from a woman (TS or CD) at work. There are a couple of threads here that is focusing on that. Dress to match the situation and the presentation you want to make. This is valid for cis women too, hence "power dressing".

Teresa
09-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Marie,
I'm sorry I missed the last part of your reply about the pride week.

Our social group was asked to represent the TGs as part of the LGBTG week held at Boston ( UK ) college. Obviously it was expected of us to dress so we were in the situation of being seen by many people as representatives and hopefully advise any students with TG problems . I wore the leather skirt in my avatar with a short sleeved cowl neck top and beige heels, all day , I felt it was the right outfit for the age group I was likely to meet, it may have not been right to appear frumpy even if I might have been a little too old to wear that outfit . I must admit I felt totally comfortable all day .

My wife has never seen me dressed but on one occasion she commented that I probably look like an old grandma , maybe that was wishful thinking on her behalf !

I'm not sure if go along with power dressing idea, to me if it feels comfortable and looks OK perhaps that's all the power that's needed . The power is more to do with the confidence to take the first step into the outside World, to arrive at your destination in your car and take that first step out the door in a crowded car park .

Jean 103
09-17-2017, 11:17 PM
Ok , maybe that works where you live but here you would stick out as much as wearing a mini skirt. Shorten the skirt, change to angle boots, raise the waist line, as for the top. Not sure but not working. Women are looking they just don't care. Go for cute, talk to people and you will get a differant result.